-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am writing this on a Dell I bought back in Jan. 2010. (6 years,jmgraham1986) I refused the Windows 10 upgrade, and installed the code to refuse the forced "updates" from Microsoft.

My step son is the only one of 4 of us who runs a Mac, he curses it alot.

I run a credit card virtual terminal, two websites, work email, 5 personal email accounts, tons of forums, and never have a problem.

I have seen people have trouble with Apple computers, Dell's, Acer, whatever brand you choose. Most of the time its a failure to research the problem independent of idiot Technical Support crowd in India.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lenovo + Linux Mint = Satisfaction

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
but their business line are quite good.

Not the one I got. And about 1 in 10 of their pro support reps have a clue.

The next PC I get will not be a Dell.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Apple? I'd rather go back to the Tandy Color Computer in the basement. At least I could rewrite the OS as needed. I do have Linux on a partition but there's that steep learning curve. (If you want to dick around with it, even the installation is pretty straight forward these days.)
Been apple ever since they came out. Have had tiny issues a few times. NOthing compared to PCs at both our work jobs....

Current Mac is probably right at 10 years old and its getting time to upgrade I guess, but its still fine and never had any kind of virus issue or things not running right etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you ever make a restore point?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rost495,

My disdain for Apple goes back to the early days. I was about to spring for an Apple II and then Apple went to selling in boutique stores and the price almost doubled. Then came the Mac with a closed system. Your computer became what Apple thought you should have and you paid a premium price for that. "No user serviceable parts inside." Screw Apple, I'll have a machine configured the way I want and running the software I want. And at a fair price. As an expensive appliance maybe it's good, I'll never know.

Flame off. smile

------------------------

For fun I just looked it up, the desktop I'm typing from is a high end Gateway refurb from 2003, running XP SP3 and Linux. Been through numerous repairs (chips and fans do wear out) and upgrades. With an open system you can do that yourself and cheaply. Yes it needs to be replaced sometime soon (and I'll build it myself) but actually this thing does everything I want (XP is stable). Code has become so bloated programs could execute more snappily but it isn't bad, not a gamer.

But it's not Apple the computer in my sights so much as Apple the company.

Last edited by nighthawk; 01/03/17.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Did you ever make a restore point?

People really do that? Think I used one once, one the system had made. People probably should do that. And make backups too. grin

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by coyote268
I have always had good relationships with Dell especially when I could call someone here in the US. 9 month old 3452 mdl with Windows ten. Nothing but problems with it. Talked to India for over 12 hours in 3 days and the problems still exist. To be truthful they have really tried to help me but its the Windows they say that is screwed up. The company wants you to have their computer but doesn't stand behind what they put in it. Microsoft should be outlawed. Just venting. They also asked me nicely to stop cussing about it

There's your problem.

Get a machine with Windows 7 professional.

I'm not a huge MS fan, but run some software that only works in Windows so it is what it is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At work I'm still using a Dell Workstation purchased in 2004. It will hang in there with anything else in the shop with
3D-graphics and GIS work. A great unit, but it was $7K when new.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Windows 10 is the worst operating system ever to come out, and I hate Macs with a passion. Windows should have stuck with 7 instead of trying to be a mac operating system.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1minute,

My 2003 Gateway cost $2364, refurb at the factory outlet store. Scrimped a bit with memory at 512mb - who the hell would need more than that?? laugh The original Tandy Color Computer came standard with 4k, went with the 16k high memory option. Then memory prices dropped and the hacking began. Then the Color Computer III came out. The machine would support 32k directly and 256k if you hacked it to tickle a certain chip. Hacked the OS (such as it was) to support four virtual machines at 64k each. And hacked in 2 DS/DD 3¼ floppies when the price dropped to somewhere near reasonable. Fun stuff, a guy could understand the whole thing as opposed to current machines and Windows. Nobody can truly understand Windows, starting with XP at least.

Helped friends get their Windows 8 (Metro) machine working. I can't imagine an OS/GUI worse than that sucker though I never fooled with 10.

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Windows 10 is the worst operating system ever to come out, and I hate Macs with a passion. Windows should have stuck with 7 instead of trying to be a mac operating system.
I couldn't possibly agree more..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 46 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.