Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well, I do have a negative bias toward Mexico. After all, most of the illegal drugs and illegal aliens come to the U.S. from Mexico.

I lay odds I am the only member of this forum who spent an unpleasant day in a Mexican jail. That was supposedly for not having my papers right, while driving around the county side when I stated "shopping in Nogales" as my reason for entry! Yea, there is a lot of jealousy and resentment down there.

Illegal immigration is inexcusable but who do you blame for that? We should secure the boarder. That is on us. And drugs, dont get me started. This used to be a free country, with no drug laws 200 years ago. Today, its a problem to get legal prescription drugs with all the restrictions on pharmacies. That is on us too.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I forgot another point. This is not a case of CCI sending jobs to Mexico for a tax breaks, excess regulations or labor costs. IMHO, CCI (and others) dropped the ball in mis-judging rim fire demand and a Mexican company took advantage. Good business. A good economy in Mexico is good for illegal immigration and good all around. Not at the expense of the USA, it is good for everybody.

This is what we should want. Not stealing jobs but taking initiative. And by most reports a good product. That should be a win win.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What I used was Rifle Match, in a black box, but now they have two types, one for 24" barrels. What the actual difference is, I don't know. The 24" stuff is called "Competition", I think. Check the Aguila website.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fourbore
I forgot another point. This is not a case of CCI sending jobs to Mexico for a tax breaks, excess regulations or labor costs. IMHO, CCI (and others) dropped the ball in mis-judging rim fire demand and a Mexican company took advantage. Good business. A good economy in Mexico is good for illegal immigration and good all around. Not at the expense of the USA, it is good for everybody.

This is what we should want. Not stealing jobs but taking initiative. And by most reports a good product. That should be a win win.

Yup. Kinda think that since the Aguila folks are making ammo in Mexico, they ain't here illegally or selling drugs.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[quote=Steelhead]

Indoor clubs must be a Yankee thing, like ice fishing.

[/quote

It might be, but the 53 youths shooter that use my 100 yard indoor range all year round love it and may beg to differ with you. Hell I will too, I love it for working up loads in my centerfires, no wind to deal with.

Last edited by gemby58; 12/23/16.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Aguila (means Eagle) that I've bought is marked "Eley Prime". My guess is that Eley makes the primed brass and sells it to the Mexicans.

I haven't done any definitive testing, but it seems to hold its own at the price point. I heard from a major seller of competition supplies that they consider it very good. More to the point, it's been more available around here than US brands, especially CCI which I prefer.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Eley's primer compound is delicious smelling nose candy to me

yea.......love the Eley 17M2 smell......

same priming as the Agulia 22LR Extra

Target Sports......$374/5K rds shipped

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/aguila-superextra-ammo-22-lr-40-grain-hv-sp-p-3436.aspx

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Gemby58
It might be, but the 53 youths shooter that use my 100 yard indoor range all year round love it

NICE! it seems like 3 weeks running it is either, cold, very cold, colder, rain, snow or rain&snow. Today is rain on top of snow, ice cream. Indoor 100 yards, call me a yankee and build me a range! Good for the kids to, that is very generous.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Quite a few years ago the story I was told by a person in the shooting industry regarding Aguila 22 ammo was that when Ely replaced their machines that they were sold to Aguila and that at that time they were run under Ely supervision.

Aguila is obviously Ely primed as can be told by the smell and it is also marked Ely primed on the Aguila Super Extra. Also if you take a look at a box of Ely Sport it is marked "made in Mexico", I have no idea of the depth of collaboration between Ely and Aguila but obviously there is a degree, given the long history of interaction between Mexico and Germany this should not be surprising.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by fourbore
Originally Posted by Gemby58
It might be, but the 53 youths shooter that use my 100 yard indoor range all year round love it

NICE! it seems like 3 weeks running it is either, cold, very cold, colder, rain, snow or rain&snow. Today is rain on top of snow, ice cream. Indoor 100 yards, call me a yankee and build me a range! Good for the kids to, that is very generous.

It's awsome for working up loads in your centerfire, you eliminate one factor the wind, and that's a big factor when shooting bench guns.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My results were mostly positive. The standard velocity stuff shoots pretty good in most of my guns. The exception being two Savage rimfires. In a GL it would do roughly 3 inches at 50 yards. Changed to CCI mini mags and same rifle would go under 1 inch. It also would not function well in a left hand Savage semi auto.

The big surprises were in a 10-22 and a Ruger Mark III. In both it functions 100% and is pretty accurate as well.

I have a case of the target stuff but never played around with it yet.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks to all.... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like Aguila SE HV for use in semi-autos. It functions very reliably and shoots well. It shoots fairly well in my bolt guns but Federal Automatch seems to shoot a little better for less money. For accuracy at a reasonable price in bolt guns I like Eley Club, SK Std Plus and Norma Match.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
All of which makes me think I need to get a new stash of the standard velocity stuff with the blue on yellow box. My chooters like it. It's not match but nickel size groups, or maybe quarter size, at 50 yards are ok for me.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by drover
....I have no idea of the depth of collaboration between Ely and Aguila but obviously there is a degree, given the long history of interaction between Mexico and Germany this should not be surprising.

drover

I thought Eley was made in England. You live and learn!

Recently tried some Aquila Super Extra 38gr HV HP in my old 1957 Brno Model 2 and it shot several five shot groups under .5" at 50 yards. Would buy some to use instead of the usual Mini Mag that rifle uses but nobody seems to be importing it here anymore. Annoying, as every other brand of .22LR ammo is available in abundance.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by zeissman
Originally Posted by drover
....I have no idea of the depth of collaboration between Ely and Aguila but obviously there is a degree, given the long history of interaction between Mexico and Germany this should not be surprising.

drover

I thought Eley was made in England. You live and learn!

Recently tried some Aquila Super Extra 38gr HV HP in my old 1957 Brno Model 2 and it shot several five shot groups under .5" at 50 yards. Would buy some to use instead of the usual Mini Mag that rifle uses but nobody seems to be importing it here anymore. Annoying, as every other brand of .22LR ammo is available in abundance.

OOPS!! Not sure what I was thinking when I made that statement. I have used Ely ammo for many years and so my only excuse is - total brain failure.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just came from the range. While there, I tested some Aguila ammo. This was the first I had ever tried. I found it to be as good, and in some cases, better than CCI.

I liked the performance of the 40 gr Super Extra Hi Velocity so much, I stopped in the local Academy store and got 3 more boxes to test in my Browning T Bolt. It likes CCI Mini Mags so maybe the Aguila will be a winner in it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Aguila factory was originally established in 1961 and used by Remington. In 2011 a major upgrade to the production equipment and processes was begun which has reportedly made the Aquila ammunition plant one of the best and most modern in the world.

This is from the company website:

Aguila Ammunition is manufactured in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico, by Industrias Tecnos, S.A. de C.V. In 2011, Tecnos partnered with Texas Armament & Technology (Tx-AT) to begin a facility-wide MODOP, or Modernization and Optimization, project to truly redefine ammunition production and reliability.

A February, 2016 article in American Rifleman gave the company good marks.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What is the point of even considering Aguila rimfire ammunition when CCI is widely available?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Last edited by tikkanut; 01/07/17.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

281 members (10gaugemag, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,570
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.