Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
There are so many good 22 rifles out there, both old and new. Its tough to even keep track of them all, nevermind know which ones are the standouts.

We all know about the famous ones (Marlin 39, Winchester 52, etc) but I got to wondering which ones are the uncommonly good ones that never get the credit they deserve.

I'm going to throw out a vote for the Remington 582. Its the little brother of the 788 centerfire and shares a well designed rear lug action and the same real trigger group with the 788. The tube magazine holds plenty of ammo (14 long rifles IIRC) and keeps the rifle easy to carry. Factory stock is adult length though slender and while usually birch, were also made in walnut and cherry. Its very scopeable with a low rotation bolt handle and 3/8" groove. And the steel receiver has plenty of thickness to be D&T.

Yeah, I wish the barrel wasn't so long (24" I think) and that the rear sight wasn't held on with that hokey plastic sleeve, but mine is a REALLY good rifle, so its getting my vote over a few others that are also really good.

So, which not-so-mainstream 22 rifles are diamonds in the rough to you?

Kragman

Last edited by kragman1; 01/04/17.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One that is underrated IMO is the Marlin 60, especially with the laminated stock. $167 at Wally World and you walk out with the gun and the mags??? Tubular mag and that means no mags to misplace/lose.

If you want add a bargain priced scope and a sling and for around $200 you are out in the great outdoors with a great value that shoots darn good.

Not as good as a teched out 10/22 but still a meatgetter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Marlin 60s and 795s are as tough as woodpecker lips, but don't get anywhere near the respect that Remington 66s and Ruger 10/22s get.

PS - I was a Brownell's in Grinnell, IA, yesterday and they had at least a doze Remington 580, 581, and 582 rifles in stock. I haven't seen so many of them in one place since the early 1970s.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 01/04/17. Reason: Added PS
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mossberg 40 series

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Rem 581 and it is way more accurate than it has a right to be. Bought it for my son may years ago and it is still one of his favorite rifles.

However, the most underrated rifles I see are my Winchester 69A's and my Winchester 75 sporter. Built on the same actions, they are man sized rifles that shoot almost as well as my 52's, are much lighter even with a scope, and are just a joy to carry in the sage rat fields and squirrel woods. With a scope mounted the accuracy of these rifles is phenomenal. I don't shoot as well as I used to with aperture sights, but my 69's are a kick to shoot with the peeps. I can easily hit clay pigeons to 75 yards with apertures with them, much farther with the scope. The wood they put on these early Winchesters is also very nice walnut. I refinished a couple of them already after removing a number of layers of brushed on varnish and they look great.

You can usually pick the 69A's up at a LGS or Cabela's for $200-$300 or so in good shape.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have found the over rated are generally over rated for good reason. To stay on topic- There are some excellent savage-anschutz rifles that sometimes go for short money. Probably not so much on the web, but out in the boonies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most Mossbergs. But specifically the military trainers. My 44US while I had it would hold its own.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The original Remington 514 would be my choice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My vote goes to the Zastava 99. Remington sold them for awhile as the Model 5 and Charles Daly had them for awhile. I saw some at Cabelas for around $180.00 a year or so ago. The one I have is scary accurate and my only complaint is the magazine is a little hard to remove occasinally.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
My vote goes to the Zastava 99. Remington sold them for awhile as the Model 5 and Charles Daly had them for awhile. I saw some at Cabelas for around $180.00 a year or so ago. The one I have is scary accurate and my only complaint is the magazine is a little hard to remove occasinally.

No flies on those Remington Model 5's

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Remington 521 T.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redhill
One that is underrated IMO is the Marlin 60,
Beat me to it.. Inexpensive, but they work and work well. I've had one for 20+ years and other than cleaning it occasionally, it's never failed to function properly..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Western Auto Revelation...

It eats every bullet I fed it, short and LR, and accurately.

I've had no misfires either. Wide striker hits hard.

[Linked Image]

(yeah I know its a Palamino. Revelation sounds cooler)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Word must have got out on those. My LGS has a NIB .17HMR online- for $525!

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Rossi mdl 62 pump.

Light, handy, accurate, fun, fast, shoots short/long/lr.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Remington 581, Marlin Model 60, I agree. However, I think THE most underrated, is ANY older Mossberg. They perform a LOT better than you would expect.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
All the Akro-Groove Mossbergs I have owned shot really well. But all the triggers have been lousy too

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
The Remington 550 should be more revered than it is.

And the Remington 581 has already been mentioned, and it is the accuracy sleeper of all time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Model 1903 Savage pump and a Winchester Model 57.

Attached Images
steve's English 1903 a.jpg (43.57 KB, 64 downloads)
Winchester M 57 a small.jpg (86.43 KB, 65 downloads)

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Word must have got out on those. My LGS has a NIB .17HMR online- for $525!

Maybe the wrong cz99, the Zastava rimfire rifles are $200

http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-cz99-bolt-action-rifle,-22lr,-22-barrel,-yugo-import-by-cai,-new.-p-62934.html

The magnums run an extra $10. I let anyone interested to do their own follow up googles. I heard these will benefit from a good stock refinish. Good winter project.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marlin model 60. Very accurate and reliable. The 10/22 gets all the glamour.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd say the Mossbergs as well. They're ugly and normally cheap, but the few I've owned were surprisingly accurate.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I picked up a first year production Savage 1919NRA at an auction for $165. The first 5 shot group, from 25 yards, with open sights, was under half an inch. I was tickled. I just bought a 10X Fecker to see if I can squeeze that hole closed a little, Joe.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice shooter Joe. And nice shootin' too.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I picked up a first year production Savage 1919NRA at an auction for $165. The first 5 shot group, from 25 yards, with open sights, was under half an inch. I was tickled. I just bought a 10X Fecker to see if I can squeeze that hole closed a little, Joe.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

+1 on the Savage but that Fecker must have set ya back some. I love my early 19!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Its amazing to me just how many 22s that were produced when barrel manufacturing shouldn't have been that great are excellent shooters by any standard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Browning FN T-Bolt is often overlooked. My T2 shoots lights out.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Unquestionably the MAS 45. Built as a military trainer by the French on captured Mauser factory equipment.

Back in the 80's, even into the 90's, you could buy one unfired, still in the crate and covered in cosmoline for less than a hundred bucks. Today I think people are more aware of just how good they are.

I've had four or five of them throughout my life and every one has been a shooter. Like the dumbass I am I sold them. Wish I had kept at least one. Next time I find one at a decent price you can bet I'll hold on to it...

On an unrelated note, anyone else having trouble posting on this site? I find I have to correct my posts multiple times because it never comes out the way I type them. It's like it can't keep up or auto spells words that I don't want. Sometimes when I backspace it wipes out the entire message. Weird, this the only site that it happens on.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 01/07/17.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The Savage Anschutz 141M in 22 Magnum doesn't get enough attention. But the Remington 550-1 really needs to be appreciated. I bought mine from a friend when he was discharged from the Air Force and leaving Little Rock AFB. The amount of ammo (22 short, long and long rifle) that went through that gun would fill a full size pick up truck. Thanks to the internet I found and downloaded a manual for it a couple of years ago and learned that it hadn't been properly cleaned for at least as long as I owned it (around 1979ish) and it never stopped working. The trigger is certainly not match grade, kind of crunchy actually but I can live with that.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta be a tie between the Marlin Model 60 and the Rem. Nylon 66

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Svelte, fun, accurate, fun and fun.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Marlin 881, full size bolt action, tube fed .22lr, long, or short.

Simply very accurate.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Marlin model 25. The most accurate 22 I have ever owned. Shorts. Long's. And long rifle. Sweet shooting gun and easy carrying.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Marlin 881, full size bolt action, tube fed .22lr, long, or short.

Simply very accurate.

Ed

Yep. Those are hard to beat for the money Ed.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the late 80's my gunsmith bought one of those cheap Norinco .22 bolt actions that looked like a BRNO.

They were rough but it was rumored to be very accurate.

He spent some time smoothing the trigger and action and mounted match sights on it and then shot bug holes with it.

Dan

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My vote goes to the 581 or 582 Remington. I have both and both are extremely accurate. I owned a 541 but cannot see where it shot any better than its cheaper cousins....

My little G2 Contender with a match .22 rifle barrel is very accurate as well and for me is a lot of fun to shoot. I don't go through shells quite as fast with it as when shooting my 582....

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
FYI - I have an old Sears model 42-103-2840 that would have to be made by marlin that I bought for $50 at a hobby gun store around 15 years ago. It was painted in BBQ black and topped with a Tasco 4-16 AO scope. The scope turned out to be real good, the trigger real bad. I stripped the paint and found out that it was a shooter. And with some old unknown Federal round nose it will shoot jaw dropping groups.

A little off topic, but its another noteworthy old Marlin bolt, basically a Model 80.

Last edited by kragman1; 01/08/17.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a western fields bolt action single shot that is really an ugly mossberg...

It outshoots most tricked out 10/22's
I have $25 of repairs into it.

It makes me look closely at any old mossbergs I see on the used racks. Especially those 144's.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My vote for underrated would be the H&R Sportster. I bought the little singleshot back in the early spring of 2012. In the 4 yrs. I've had it, I've shot over 100 squirrels with it. While I've got 2 10/22s and a Marlin 39a, this little girl goes with me quite often! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was so happy with the rifle that I had it camo'd back in early 2014.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fourbore
I have found the over rated are generally over rated for good reason. To stay on topic- There are some excellent savage-anschutz rifles that sometimes go for short money. Probably not so much on the web, but out in the boonies.

Yep, they are awesome. I like the 141 and 164 rimfires ...

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Hey 30Gibbs -

What are the Anschutz models to keep an eye out for?
And how much of an accuracy difference should one generally expect from the three different actions they use?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One of my favorite rimfires is a Ruger 96/22 in 22LR. It was made and shipped to a friend's little mom and pop store in 1996. After sitting on his shelf for 12 years I took pity on it and brought it home in 2008.

Paid $200 for it. Wood's not much to look at, but it is short and handy and the accuracy was surprisingly great and I've never seen another at the gun range. Just a fun little knock about.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
CZ455 - not sure why they are not more popular. I suppose the trend is toward plastic stocks and autoloaders. To me a match accurate rifle that functions perfectly for under $400 is 'underrated'.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Not underrated, but seldom mentioned is the excellent NULA .22 available single shot or repeater.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe we should throw in a martini or two as well. Both kinds mind you, the firearm and the beverage. Cheers!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mossberg 640 ka, .22 mag., mine groups well, as I have read most all shoot exceptional as well.Heavy/Walnut/Blued Steel mag. fed bolt action, feels like an adult center fire, what's not to like?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
T/C classic 22lr. I purchased one when they first came out for my son. It'll hold its own against most other 22's.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Texczech
Marlin model 25. The most accurate 22 I have ever owned. Shorts. Long's. And long rifle. Sweet shooting gun and easy carrying.

+1 .... Fully agree about Marlin M25.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm with Dan. I hate to endorse any ChiCom product, but the Norinco .22s were hard to beat for the money. Below is a blurry pic of my JW-15 that I bought back in the 80's for less than $80 in a group buy.

I put a Williams target sight on the rear and jerry-rigged a 700 Rem front ramp sight to raise the front sight for the receiver peep. Accurate, reliable and nicely blued but the balsawood stock is nothing to brag about.

There were some more glamorous Norinco bolt guns and some outfit in Ga (I recall) offered a showy walnut stock.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Texczech

My Marlin 25 was a Christmas present from Santa when I was 10. In the 35 years since then It has killed a couple of short bed pickups worth of small game and varmints. It shoots most anything accurately enough and feeds all the various lenth .22s well. I have worn out the extractor a couple of times and had to replace some worn or bent magazines, but otherwise it just keeps going. It is the only .22 rifle in my cabinet.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Anyone want to compare the Marlin 25 to the Marlin 80?
I've always been a little vague on the different Marlin rimfires. I know I love the MicroGroove barrels!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fourbore

AMEN ! Snagged a Model 184 over a decade ago for $400. Have not seen one since.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK go ahead and laugh but my vote is for the Chiappa Badger.
Accurate as hell, lightweight and super reliable.

I know it looks funky and eccentric but it is a true sleeper.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My vote is for my Springfield M1922M2. It is deadly accurate, with the original iron sights, even out past 100 yards. Heavy, yes, but no heavier than any big game rifle I tote into the woods.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rem model 12's; am up to 2 A's and a C.

Have some "neat" older guns, and a passel of CZ's, but for walk about those little model 12's are it. Their accuracy is nothing special, but they're lightweights that shoot so naturally and consistently off-hand. Fun times.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

L
L
Marlin 99 - model 60's dad. Beautiful walnut stocks and sweet trigger pull.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lytle78
Marlin 99 - model 60's dad. Beautiful walnut stocks and sweet trigger pull.

Good call.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'd also vote for the Remington 580 series. I've got a 581 that I bought new in the 70's. It's funny how good a trigger can get with a few thousand rounds through the gun. I found a 541 stock a few years ago and now it looks as good as it shoots.
[Linked Image]

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have to say that the Win Model 69 (clip) and Model 72 (tube) are about as accurate as any. Beats my Model 75 Sporter and not that far behind my Model 52 and that ain't bad. Get one with the grooved receiver (or tapped if you don't mind the price drop) and scope it. Plain, classic but top of the line shooter. You won't regret it.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Remington 580 series. With a lighter trigger spring and nothing else my 582 shoots groups as good as I can hold.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glenfield model 60. Depending upon which source you go by, between 12 and 13 million were sold, and several versions.
I have the 17 shot version. A cut down aluminum arrow shaft makes a dandy speed loader for a tubular magizine.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have (had) a winchester M320 that I gave to my son. It's a wonderfully accurate little .22, that functions flawlessly, and the action was made by Kimber in the 70's. Cool little gun.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My old beater Rem 581 is still holding it's own pretty darn good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mossberg

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by joken2

Rossi mdl 62 pump.

Light, handy, accurate, fun, fast, shoots short/long/lr.

I'll vote for the Rossi as well

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
My old beater Rem 581 is still holding it's own pretty darn good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like a great shooter and it's not a bad looking rifle either.

Originally Posted by glosto
Mossberg

^^^^^ This^^^^^^^ When I think "underrated", I always think Mossberg, even though they made some damn good accurate stuff back in the day. Sometimes quite ugly, but still great shooters. My chuckster is proof of that:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It seems like everyone has a 10/22, so I went right out and bought a Marlin Model 60. It is a great gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Older Remington 552s. An old school semiauto that's been in production since the mid 50s. Shoots Shorts, Longs or Long Rifles. They can be had in VG to EX condition for less than half the cost of the new high comb stock models. Unlike the newer ones the lower comb stock makes the open sights easy to use if you want to take the scope off. Mine with the right ammo is about as accurate as my heavy barrel 10-22.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My little Zatavas - Also known as Remington Model 5 Charles Daley, and a few others...

I bought 5 of them from J&G Sales for $169 each. Nice, accurate little shooters for the price.

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I've had a plain version of the 552 for about 25 years now. I restored it (OK, I basically cleaned it up) after it got singed in a fire. Its rewarded my by cycling any mix of short, long or LR that you can pour into it including subsonic. It shoots everything well, and really loves a few loads like CCI SV and Federal HV Match. Out of all of my 22s its really the best squirrel rifle. Quick to my shoulder, fast and accurate, and an easy predictable field trigger that feels like a worn in 1100.
That one will never be for sale.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had a couple Rem 552 and 572.........still have a plain walnut 572 for polite pest control (CB).

Liked my Anschutz 141....but the trigger I couldn't get used to. Rem 541T..........neat, had the HB.........hated the plastic mag. Had a 581 too. Proly would have kept it if a 582.

Ruger 10/22's.......two fingergrooves and maybe a half doz standards. The latter a classic in its own right (just got a '67 to refinish).

Finergroove stock the best looking/feeling. Getting silly on price, esp if factory checkered (Holy Grail of 10/22).

Killed a good number of squirrels and my biggest groundhog ever, with a sleeved 121 Rem. Whoever did the work did a great job, not easy to tell it'd been done.

Thing LOVED Win SuperX. Lay pop cans silver bottom toward.......at 100 yds and plink em with boring regularity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're far from old classics but a lot of people look down their noses at Henry offerings.....

I'm not one of em.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I changed the sear spring in the old 572 I got this yr.
Pre 68 gun. Helped a bunch.

Pops had walnut reg models of 552 and 572, plus BDL versions of high comb stock.

He loves those things LOL

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Marlin 81DL bolt action, real walnut stock, tube magazine s,l,lr a bunch of each, factory peep with two aperatures, received for 13th birthday in 1947. Been rebuilt a couple of times. Thinned out the grey digger population on our farm in the Willamette Valley . Still shoots tight 50 yd groups. Has served well as as my pickup gun in Eastern Oregon, the sane part of the state, since 1972.

Last edited by Roundup; 03/22/17.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Roundup,

I bought one of those 2 weeks ago at my LGS for $125.
It needs a double cleaning, a new buttplate and a peep insert, but the wood is really remarkable. Loosing blue but the bore is excellent. I'm looking forward to reviving it this summer if I can take a decent vacation. Maybe ill remember to take before and after pics.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Marlin 56 levermatic, just because I like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 103 pistols or rifles in 22 ranging in cost from $25 to $1695.

I have only shot a small fraction of them, but I have handled them all.

I like the Winchester 61 pump 22 the best.

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marlin 880SS. Tupperware stock and stainless steel. Crap trigger on these but that is easily remedied and the damn thing can headshot a fly with that micro-groove rifling. Usually well south of $250 when you see them in a pawn shop.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Marlin 56 levermatic, just because I like it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wondered if anyone was going to mention the Levermatics. I have model 57s in both 22 lr and 22 magum. Love them both.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bamagun01
T/C classic 22lr. I purchased one when they first came out for my son. It'll hold its own against most other 22's.

I bought a T/C classic for my son when he was 5 or 6 from BassPro Shop fall hunting classic for $250.00, sure out shoots a Ruger 10/22. I liked the rifle so much I bought the heavy barrel stainless 22 Lynx for myself.

Doc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glenfield Model 60- most accurate .22LR I ever owned. Not only accurate (1" groups @ 100 yds), but it would slay prairie dogs all day without a hiccup.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

I bought a T/C classic for my son when he was 5 or 6 from BassPro Shop fall hunting classic for $250.00, sure out shoots a Ruger 10/22. I liked the rifle so much I bought the heavy barrel stainless 22 Lynx for myself.

Doc

Yeah, that.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Doc

Yeah, that.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Huntman22,

It appears you dropped the T/C Lynx into a T/C classic wood stock......looks great. Have you have any issues with chamber chipping by the extractor?

Doc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it started getting shiny so I did the RFC extractor mod. No problems since

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The JC Higgins (a.k.a. Marlin Glenfield) 22 my father bought for my 9th birthday (61 years ago) has always been death to ground squirrels. I also own a TC Classic semi-auto. Mine shoots standard velocity LR's very well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Remington 511
Remington 121
Remington 572

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 21, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,622
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.