24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This was on a preserve that's a big area, 5,000 acres. Four of us were the only ones hunting it yesterday afternoon. Started at one o'clock. Over the afternoon it warmed up considerably with no wind and the birds; pheasant, chukar and quail were spread out. We had two Labs with us and they started ok but they were having to cover a lot of ground. We alternated them but as it got warmer the "heat" was slowing them down.

A friend of the preserve owner who had two Brittanies that he and his wife ran in field trials offered to work his dogs for us. They were something else. It was like watching a video of how good upland hunting can be with great dogs. They didn't need much direction but were attentive when it was given. They found birds, held a point until released / "steady to wing and shot" and retrieved to hand, not releasing the bird until someone took it.

I'll always have a Lab but if I was to get another dog a Brittany would be high on the list.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you can teach your lab, if bred well, to do the same.

i'm no professional dog trainer but every dog i have had, gsp's , lab , brittanies, setters vizsla and now wired haired griffon can do the same on upland and waterfowl

get that prey drive developed on live birds and wild birds at a young age and finish the dog as they get older

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
This was on a preserve that's a big area, 5,000 acres. Four of us were the only ones hunting it yesterday afternoon. Started at one o'clock. Over the afternoon it warmed up considerably with no wind and the birds; pheasant, chukar and quail were spread out. We had two Labs with us and they started ok but they were having to cover a lot of ground. We alternated them but as it got warmer the "heat" was slowing them down.

A friend of the preserve owner who had two Brittanies that he and his wife ran in field trials offered to work his dogs for us. They were something else. It was like watching a video of how good upland hunting can be with great dogs. They didn't need much direction but were attentive when it was given. They found birds, held a point until released / "steady to wing and shot" and retrieved to hand, not releasing the bird until someone took it.

I'll always have a Lab but if I was to get another dog a Brittany would be high on the list.

They say that a hunter will get at least one good bird dog in his life. Mine was a Brittany and anything I end up after I retire will be second best.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I used to raise and field trial GSP's, but I had a friend that had a couple of Brittanies. Nice little dogs. Not as high-strung as most Shorthairs, but fun to hunt with. His dog had a problem picking up dead birds and bringing them back, but was very easy to handle. Close ranging, and they also make nice little house dogs. I would have tried a Brittany, but I wanted a dog that would retrieve waterfowl as well as Upland game. GSP's did the trick for me. Some guys like Blondes, and some like Redheads. If your dog makes you happy, that's all that counts.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I love goldens, but if I live long enough to get another bird dog, it will probably be a Brittany !!

Molon Labe
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My one year old Brittany is putting up every planted bird already, he's from good stock, and I took him to the "perfect start" clinic near KC.

He pointed and retried 10 of 12 birds the last time we were out. We missed 2 of them otherwise it would have been 100%.

Spot

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrat,s Spotshooter. You have a nice pup. If it's only a year old, I would not push him too much. Don't forget it's still a pup and I have seen some nice young Dogs get Bird Shy from too much pressure. I never put too much pressure on my Pups until around 18- 24 months. You would want to let it have fun now, and get serious later. Patience is a Virtue.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I always had English pointers, better bird finders than retrievers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
678 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,979 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.