Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
a 124 HST at 1200 out penetrates a 230HST at 950 in "wood, metal, etc.??

A 124 grain XTP +P in 9mm dose not out penetrate 220 Critical Duty 45 ACP +P in wood or 55 gallon steel drums. Al least not the ones I've shot.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The current best performance in FBI/LE 9mm duty pistol ammo is the latest 147 GDHP, it has been thoroughly tested, and bests the 45 +p HST in every FBI test category. It has been tested and proven in use, with the latest FBI/LE approved handgun loads, a 45acp offers no advantage to the 9mm. If forced to shoot ball, it has an advantage. FBI/LE ammo, it has no performance gain with added baggage.

There is no magic pill. Repeated center mass hits, fast and accurate, until threat stopped. Regardless skill, obtaining multiple accurate hits at speed, is easier obtain with a 9mm vs 45acp.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/07/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have to ask, WTF actually watches these videos?

I listened to that idiot for 5 seconds and turned it off.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Having to break through the ice to fish is going above and beyond!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

I can tell you after watching for 10 seconds, that pussy would readily assume fetal coupled with uncontrollable pissing.

Trump Won!
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Well that's the title, but I think the discussion would be more appropriately "Why the .45 ACP offers the least advantage over all the other common self defense cartridges"

This is a subject that will sure enough start a Holy War, but It's interesting that 25 years ago this would be an absolutely preposterous discussion, as back then it was arguably "the best" of the lot. But things have changed and now, whether you agree with it or not, the discussion at least does have some merits.

I have always said I don't carry any gun because of the cartridge, but because of the gun. I know they all work, and I know they all work pretty much just as well. I just don't go in for, or find anything useful in worrying about one cartridge over another. Just like I don't find any meaningful difference in the .270 vs. .30-06 debate; waste of time.

Anyhow, enjoy the Holy War this thread is likely to kick off.

Reduced flash and blast vs 10mm. Lower likelihood of kabooms vs a .40 S&W.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Love the .45, would carry it more often but size and weight exclude it from my choice for concealed carry.
With that in mind even with lower round capacity if you were to give me a choice in a gun fight I would pick the .45. Hollow points no matter how good do not always open up. The .45 is always gonna leave a .45 hole if it opens up or not.
If I am not mistaken didn't Sanow and Marshall give the second spot with hydrashocks to it, behind the venerable 125 grain .357 ranking something in the mid 90 percentile "One shot stopper". I know this was back in the 90's and a lot has changed since then, but the .45 is still gonna leave a .45 hole.
I have tried several combo's for .45 ccw even the small Kahr P45, and the light weight aluminum framed 1911's, they all seem to pull on my britches to much, and I was constantly jerking everything up. If it came down to it I would pickup my FNX .45 before I would a 9, does not mean I wouldn't use a 9, and carry a 9.

My fault for posting before I watched the video, I am at work and they had the video blocked, so I went to my PC and watched it. That guy is an idiot..............

Last edited by j2dogs; 01/08/17.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The more cavernous the wound channel, the more room there is for internal bleeding, thus the faster the drop in human blood pressure and incapacitation.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Law enforcement has different needs than a Civilian with a carry permit.
We are taught that using a firearm is a last resort.
I can't imagine being in a situation where flat trajectory
is an advantage.
What I want is a way for me to protect myself from a guy with a knife or getting knocked down and kicked in the head.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

That's 5 sec longer than I did. If I thought my 45 wasn't up to the task I'd grab a rifle or shotgun!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes it typically has greater penetration, but not by much. Not enough that I would ever feel like I was gaining some significant edge.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The more cavernous the wound channel, the more room there is for internal bleeding, thus the faster the drop in human blood pressure and incapacitation.
But there's a difference between paper "more" and living tissue "more". A difference in bullet diameter of .60 to .70 looks significant on paper, and the number looks even greater as a % increase. But in living tissue, it's no where near enough of a difference that it would decrease incapacitation time from hypovolemic shock. Again, you would have to have some extreme/rare instance where by some miracle a .10 change in diameter saved the day, and I would say the odds on that would be a number with a LOT of digits..

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I wonder if the military will return to the much maligned 9mm FMJ, for it's poor performance on the battle field.
Or will they choose a larger caliber either .40 or .45 FMJ.

Last edited by j2dogs; 01/08/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So if your going to carry a larger gun you may as well carry a 10mm with a 180 grain GDHP???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is where the SBR, carbine, and shotgun come into play.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image]

Both of these are .45s. The Mod 2 holds 10 rounds and still weighs less than a Commander.

The Mod 2 is a bit thicker than a Commander but not much.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by whelennut
Law enforcement has different needs than a Civilian with a carry permit.
We are taught that using a firearm is a last resort.
I can't imagine being in a situation where flat trajectory
is an advantage.
What I want is a way for me to protect myself from a guy with a knife or getting knocked down and kicked in the head.

Please explain the difference in need.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
At some point you begin to think that official handgun cartridge selection is like the latest diet fads. 9 no good, 10 good, no wait short 10 good, no wait 9 good. Personally I like the 45 ACP and the 9mm but the 45 does not ring my ears as bad should I have to dispatch a pig, copperhead or hole digging turkey egg eating armadillo under foot. Naturally I only use cheap 230 grain ball ammo for these chores. I did find that the 230 grain GD would not shoot through a pigs head at almost contact range, but the pig stopped moving, I saw no exit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They all have well designed self defense ammo available today, so all could be good.

I carried a 1911 around the farm, checking fences, stand sights, etc. Would plink with the 45 using ball. Kept running into the same sow and cubs. Decided to look for a std vel flat nose fmj load to plink, that would drive straight through her skull, should she decide to bowl me over. Winchester marketed a 1911 practice load that was flat nosed. I tested it against ball, shooting through skulls and shoulders of cattle, pails of water, wet phonebooks, etc. It worked, where ball would not work.

Not a dedicated hunting load, but great plinker that penetrates.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/08/17.

- Clint Eastwood
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good info!

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.