Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Slather a piece with butter and a little maple syrup. Big mug of coffee....heaven!
You read my mind. wink Nice slab of cornbread with myrple syrple and butter is what's on the agenda...

Version 2.0 Do muffins so you have crispy all he way around. And bacon grease is the only way to lube. Soon as they come out of the pan split, butter slather, and bathe with 1)black molasses or 2)Sand Mountain sorghum syrup. When it's beans, greens and cornbread time that's the appetizer.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by johnw
There is actually nothing wrong with cornbread made with some sugar.

Some folks have to conserve all the sugar so they can saturate their iced tea.

Iced tea that we have run across north of the border seems to be made by filling a glass 1/4 full of ice, running it up to 4/5 full with sugar and then topping off with tea.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I made a pan New Year's Day to go with my blackeyed peas and hamhocks.
I used to crumble it up into a bowl of bean soup and add ketchup as a kid.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Many were the breakfasts this young lad had consisting of a slab of cornbread and hot milk in a bowl, drizzled with honey or Idaho Jim's "myrple syrple." (loved that, Jim, typo or not)

Home recipes are great, no argument. But for quick and good, it's really hard to beat those little boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Many were the breakfasts this young lad had consisting of a slab of cornbread and hot milk in a bowl, drizzled with honey or Idaho Jim's "myrple syrple." (loved that, Jim, typo or not)

Home recipes are great, no argument. But for quick and good, it's really hard to beat those little boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.

Amen to Jiffy.

Tip of the cap to Roger Miller on the myrple syrple.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tenda Bake Yellow Self Rising is really good. I modify the recipe a bit by using a big soup spoon dollup of sour cream as part of the milk and another soup spoon of demrara sugar. YMMV

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
...Tip of the cap to Roger Miller on the myrple syrple.
Darn, I was hoping I could steal the credit for that... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since both parents grew up in rural North Carolina my sister and I grew up with sweet tea and fresh home made rolls for dinner every single night of our lives. I don’t know my mother’s exact recipe for the tea but remember it was made in a large crockery pitcher that I would guess was about a half gallon. She started with two scoops of sugar, probably about 2/3 cup or maybe 1/2 cup total, followed by about 12 saccharin tablets*, 3 or four Lipton tea bags and then pour in enough boiling water to fill the pitcher. Let it steep for 10 minutes or so and then pour over a big glass filled with ice cubes. To this day the sound of ice cubes cracking makes me think of sweet tea.

* which probably explains much of my childhood development... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by CraigD
Must be hungry... A pot of chili and some corn bread really sounds good. The rush of warmth out of the oven is mighty welcome!

"The Warden" stated that Hormel doesn't count - yuck! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am on record as being very fond of Hormel chili (much to the dismay of some of my friends).

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hormel, meh. Wolf is nasty. My preference for canned chili is Nalley's. Their Jalapeno is good, and their Thick makes a great chili dog.

Homemade is far superior, of course. Preferably real chili with no beans.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And the beef absolutely must be grass-fed.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice. Something I miss a bunch since we moved from Calgary is getting to our place in north Idaho during the winter. Whilst living up there we spent a lot of time at the cabin. Cooking with the wood stove was the deal. Between cutting the wood, cooking the food and eating the food we were thrice warmed.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wife makes a Mexican cornbread with peppers and stuff, also a cheese cornbread i could OD on. any cheese is good but with pepper jack it is the best.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.