Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Do we have anyone in our little circle who is guiding mule deer hunts? I'm hoping to get my Brother and Brother-in-law excited about a travel hunt in 2018. I figure we can likely get tags for mule deer anytime we want, and not have to sell the farm to do it.

We're all in our 60's, and used to 1-day whitetail hunts in upstate NY. I think we'd prefer to sleep someplace warm and dry for this trip, and keep the daily walking to a couple-three miles in reasonable elevations. But of course we'd listen to local experience to get the best hunt.

Let me know if you have good luck, and good times on Your hunts.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff, I can get you in touch with an excellent guide service here in very good units in Oregon if you'd like. I've hunted with him a time or two informally, a friend of a friend. Quality guy. He could tell you more about his hunts than I can. My good buddy (Jim) that knows him better yet. I can get you in touch with Jim as a reference as well. Jim and I have hunted together for a couple decades, most recently in NV, I can't say enough about his judgement. He'd be a good reference for the outfitter.

LOL
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Roy, Yes I'd like to have their contact info, Thanks. We are just starting the conversation on our end, so we're trying to figure out our budget and location options.

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Davebattlecreekoutfitters.com

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have mule deer outfitters here but the elevation you'd be hunting at is probably 8000 feet plus. Probably better to go with Roy's guide. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff,

Mule deer are not like elk in a sense that you could find them easier. At least in some places I know of in Montana. In short, you could do it on your own pretty easy. If you want a big one, a lot harder. Though we have taken some really nice ones on public lands in the low country.

Note: Elk in Montana are accessible. Though it could kill you getting to a bull. Getting one out will kill you.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Jeff, David,

I'm pretty sure that we will be focused on the opportunity to get a shot..., and steer clear of the potential for our hunting adventure to turn into a rescue operation.

Extreme high altitude in NY is 5000'...and there's only about 300 sq/ft of that.., so just the thought of 8000' takes the wind out of me.

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Talk to our friend Angus1895 John. He's as cool as they come and Idaho has some good hunting.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted mule deer on the Y Lazy S Ranch outside Craig CO last Fall. Google it. You pay for a nice cabin and tresspas fee. Owner assigns you a section of the ranch and you hunt on your own. We saw 40 to 60 deer a day in the rolling sage brush and hay fields. Physically easy. You need to get a point this year then you should be able to draw in 2018.

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
thanks 54Woody, is the point/draw system specific to this section, or all of Colorado?

JeffG
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My suggestion would be between miles city Montana and Bozeman. Eastern Montana along the Missouri River. That is where I would hunt deer out west out of a motel.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MD is draw everywhere in CO. You can put in for a point this year without specifying a hunt unit then put in for the unit on her web site in 2018. Don't miss this year's deadline or you will miss getting the point.

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Angus...I think... That sounds a lot like what we tell strangers who come from out-of-town into our neck of the woods. They usually don't come back. laugh

I suspect as first-timers we would need a bit of guidance in any new game pursuit, and since this is probably a one-time opportunity we would lean toward more guaranteed tags and shot opportunity, and less toward trying to save money.

My brother-in-law has been on a preserve hunt, where he was dropped off and told to stay put...., I'm pretty sure we don't want that sort of hunt either.

JeffG
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff, I'd be glad to help you guys if you end up within reach and I'm available.

LOL
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Very generous Roy, Thank You!

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No really, I drive by there getting to Minnesota from Idaho to Minnesota. Tons of deer! Easy looking foothills. I have watched hunting shows where they used guides, the white tails and mule deer harvested were impressive! Look 4 a guide from around there, I don't know any, but that is where I would hunt if I wanted easy terrain, and able to stay in a hotel motel. The Idaho mule deer stuff I do is outta a tent at 7800 feet. 2.5 hours on a mule in the dark, tie em off at 8500 then climb to 10,000 feet.. That ain't what you describe as what you want and I don't blame you. I been whacking white tails outta my barn the last few years, haven't even seen but a handful of decent mule deer. I did get a dink Muley with the bow ( 53 yards ) a few years back by the house. But I am giving you my best advice of what I have seen and heard. The deer population along the Missouri in Eastern Montana is where I would hunt if I wanted deer, a warm bed, shower and came from the east. Honest.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Wow, deer hunting and shower? Didn't know you could do both! But, I can't walk and chew gum, either, Joe. smile

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.