Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Looking for opinions on this scope in the 2-10x40 or 3-15x42 configuration. Since they are still fairly new I'm having a hard time finding any useful information about them. Most searches seem to want to bring up more info on the tactical razors. I'm mounting the scope on a custom 7mm-08 for mainly whitetail, but will also be used for prong horn, mule deer and such out to 4 or 5 hundred yards. I hear the quality of the glass is top shelf, but how well do they hold up to abuse? Can i depend on them to hold zero after some rough treatment in unfavorable conditions?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought the 1.5-8X32 for my Kimber Montana. Great glass and great eye box. They haven't really been out long enough to speak to build quality. I will say however that I trust the construction more than a Leupold. The HD LH scopes are made by LOW in Japan,a very well respected manufacturer.

The closest competitor to the 3-15 would be a Swaro Z5. I've heard the Swaro has a slightly better eye box and glass is comparable.The Swaro does cost about $400 more.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/13/17.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've been happy so far with mine 2x10-40...love the G4 reticle!

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
That's good to hear aviator

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I've been leaning towards the 2-10. What made you choose it over the 2-15?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 2x10x40. Glass is darn good. Through my eyes better than any Lupy , Conquest ot NF or anything else I have. ELev and wind dials are mushy IMHO. I bought the 2x10x40 because it is slightly lighter than 3x15 and smaller. mine went on a light rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just got one for a Kimber in the 2-10 and it feels good, but is too new to comment about repeatability or anything meaningful. Just checked and do not find the dials at all mushy???

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jeeper
I have the 2x10x40. Glass is darn good. Through my eyes better than any Lupy , Conquest ot NF or anything else I have. ELev and wind dials are mushy IMHO. I bought the 2x10x40 because it is slightly lighter than 3x15 and smaller. mine went on a light rifle.

I agree with this. Good glass and lightweight for sure. Used one this fall on a Cooper 92 in 300 wm and killed 3 critters with it. The turrets are extremely mushy even compared to some of the redfields I have. Heck even the Vortex diamondback turrets feel crisper.

In reality though I don't plan to "dial" with it so once I got it sighted in it's a set it and forget it type of thing so I don't worry too much about it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by markhammett
I've been leaning towards the 2-10. What made you choose it over the 2-15?

It was slightly lighter and more compact than the 15x model...it is on a nula model 28 at the moment..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I bought the 1.5-8X32 for my Kimber Montana. Great glass and great eye box. They haven't really been out long enough to speak to build quality. I will say however that I trust the construction more than a Leupold. The HD LH scopes are made by LOW in Japan,a very well respected manufacturer.

I put the same scope on my Kimber Adirondack in .308. Got a great back friday deal from Midwayusa.

Total package in talley one piece rings is under 6#

Great setup, got 3 deer and 2 hogs with it since then. Most taken with the scope at 4-6x, but I've had it at 1.8x when tracking hogs in the bush.

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hey guys, looking at this scope myself. Any comparisons to say a Zeiss hd5 or similar?
Hard to find info or reviews about the 2-10x40

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Timmay
Hey guys, looking at this scope myself. Any comparisons to say a Zeiss hd5 or similar?

I own the 1.5-8 Razor. I've looked at the 2-10 models and owned a 2-10 Zeiss HD5. I like everything about the Razor better. Eye box is as good or better. I like the reticle better and glass is as good or better than the Zeiss. I also like that the Razor has no tunneling at 2X like the HD5 did.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by jeeper

I agree with this. Good glass and lightweight for sure. Used one this fall on a Cooper 92 in 300 wm and killed 3 critters with it. The turrets are extremely mushy even compared to some of the redfields I have. Heck even the Vortex diamondback turrets feel crisper.

In reality though I don't plan to "dial" with it so once I got it sighted in it's a set it and forget it type of thing so I don't worry too much about it.

Looked at all three of the different models at SHOT. I played with the dials and messed with them at length. Yeah, there is not the audible click you get fron good turrets, but I was using mushy as repeatable. The clicks are softer and do not feel crisp, but they return to zero exactly and that should be the goal...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a 3-15x42 on a custom 26 nosler. It is set in talley light weights that have been lapped. I really like the glass, reticle and weight of the scope but so far have not been thrilled with its ability to hold zero. It went with me on an horseback ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan this fall. Understand that this is going to be a tougher hunt on optics than what most people subject there scopes too but mine lost zero twice.

Also, the adjustments are the mushiest I have ever owned. I actually can't even feel clicks on the windage adjustment. Just feels like the old leupold friction adjustments. Been that way since I bought it new. I am not a turret twister but it still is a little annoying on a scope this expensive.

Scope is currently at vortex to work through these issues. Hopefully they will figure it out and no more issues because I know it is possible to have problems with any manufacturer and I really want this scope to work!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wouldn't buy one as a turret twister but mine are no more mushy than my SWFA SS 3X9 that everyone raves about.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Re: dialling. I would want the ability to dial so as long as it comes back to zero that's all I care about, its not like I will be doing it under stress or all the time. 10-12 MOA is really all I need.

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Timmay

I own the 1.5-8 Razor. I've looked at the 2-10 models and owned a 2-10 Zeiss HD5. I like everything about the Razor better. Eye box is as good or better. I like the reticle better and glass is as good or better than the Zeiss. I also like that the Razor has no tunneling at 2X like the HD5 did.
thank you for the feed back.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by LeftHunter
I have a 3-15x42 on a custom 26 nosler. It is set in talley light weights that have been lapped. I really like the glass, reticle and weight of the scope but so far have not been thrilled with its ability to hold zero. It went with me on an horseback ibex hunt in Kyrgyzstan this fall. Understand that this is going to be a tougher hunt on optics than what most people subject there scopes too but mine lost zero twice.

Also, the adjustments are the mushiest I have ever owned. I actually can't even feel clicks on the windage adjustment. Just feels like the old leupold friction adjustments. Been that way since I bought it new. I am not a turret twister but it still is a little annoying on a scope this expensive.

Scope is currently at vortex to work through these issues. Hopefully they will figure it out and no more issues because I know it is possible to have problems with any manufacturer and I really want this scope to work!

I'm curious what they find out about this scope!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by LeftHunter

Also, the adjustments are the mushiest I have ever owned. I actually can't even feel clicks on the windage adjustment. Just feels like the old leupold friction adjustments. Been that way since I bought it new. I am not a turret

What was the verdict on these mushy turrets being sent back?

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Bought 2 3-15's when they first came out at a great deal, They have excellent glass good eye box and track very well love the weight, now on those 2 the turrets are very mushy and you have to focus when using the turrets. I bought another 1 from cabelas at great price last week but only becuase the turrets werent as bad not great but better and I like the g4 ret.. It reminds me of the NP-2DD ret. that I have a couple of and twice the weight of the lh.
In my opinion if you get a good deal on them they are a good hunting scope if you are looking to save weight and $.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,109
Posts18,464,293
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.