-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have one of the rifles built last year in 260 Remington. It was part of a special run built for folks here at the Campfire. It is a really nice rifle. Finished well,runs and shoots great. No compliants from me. Mine was bought through Whitaker Guns and they seem to have a good working relationship with MRC. I'd consider dealing with them if I were you.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some of us had good experiences in their first offering . my 260 Campfire special in 260 rocks. Some complain about it's weight but I have no issues with it.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Do the make one in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
Do the make one in 6.5 Creedmoor?

Certainly doable, but Why ?

The Montana 99 SA is actually built on an Intermediate Length Action with mag length = 3 1/8"

Your 6.5 CM is designed around the restrictions of a 2.8" mag

You could probably tuck a 6.5x55 ( Improved wink ) into that box
or maybe even 6.5x284 short ( 130s ) !

Definitely any .260 AI

Any semi-custom company will have initial teething problems, but recent testimony has indicated they have gotten things sorted out.
To the benefit of all.

Very sorry to see Forbes disappear so suddenly, with such a promising product line, there was a lot of hope for their prosperity.

Cheers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not trying to contradict you but while one can put a 6.5x55 into a 1999's magazine, MRC chambers it with an old military length throat. So even though you can put long bullets into the magazine a lot of modern spitzers won't be able to reach the lands and still be seated inside the case, or at best they are very shallow seated.

However, I would heartily second the notion that it is ideal for nominal "short action" rounds which end up being cramped by a 2.8ish" magazine restriction. Were I to do it again I would not have bought mine in 6.5x55 but rather .260 where that long magazine would eliminate any OAL restrictions.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 1999 in LA Mag looks ok, but haven't chambered it yet. I called about tenon specs 2 different times. Both times they said that it was proprietary. They would give me no info. This was before I had the receiver in hand. It will be a simple chamber job, but why do they not help you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not trying to contradict you but while one can put a 6.5x55 into a 1999's magazine, MRC chambers it with an old military length throat. So even though you can put long bullets into the magazine a lot of modern spitzers won't be able to reach the lands and still be seated inside the case, or at best they are very shallow seated.

However, I would heartily second the notion that it is ideal for nominal "short action" rounds which end up being cramped by a 2.8ish" magazine restriction. Were I to do it again I would not have bought mine in 6.5x55 but rather .260 where that long magazine would eliminate any OAL restrictions.

Jim , No contradiction at all.

Your Feet on the ground experience is exactly what's needed here.

As I typed that, I was thinking the .260 ( Improved ) would probably be about perfect in that action with it's intermediate length magazine.

Again, Thanks for your input

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Left hand rifles

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got 2 from their early days, one a long action and the other a short action magnum. The long action turned out to be a beauty, the short action needed a Williams extractor before it would feed & eject properly. Both needed a fair bit of gunsmithing time.They are a bit of a lottery quality wise. Tasco in Australia imported a bunch of their completed rifles and a lot ended up being returned for warranty repairs. Some still being sold by dealers brand new but at more than $1000 off. Don't think they are being imported anymore. If you can inspect before you take delivery should be OK.

regards
JohnT

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have one of the Campfire specials in 260 and one of the 243s with the 1:8 twist. Both are quite accurate and very nicely made. Have not had to tweak either one, which is a rare thing these days.

I think they have progressed past their early growing pains and would not hesitate to buy another.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I'm sure thinking about buying one,just for the hell of it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had one for a month or so before I gave it to my son in law. I copied my first impressions from a post I made about it when I got it:

Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Got MRC 1899 XWR SS in last night. Haven't shot it yet, but first impressions are VERY favorable. Quality seems top notch - a huge step above the typical factory M700. I got the short action version, which when compared to a Remington SA, is more of a mid length action. The 3.125" magazine box is perfect for those that want to seat out the VLDs to the lands. For those that haven't wanted to put a 6mm Rem on a short action before, this action is the answer. Would also be perfect for the 284 case. If throated correctly, I suspect it would even be suitable for a 6.5-284 w/ VLDs. Mine has the B&C stock and I really like it. The comb is higher than any non adjustable I have dealt with. The forend is a little shorter than normal and I really like the look. It seems quite stiff. I am not able to easily squeeze the forend to touch the barrel.

I have handled and used CRF rifles, but have not owned one and really scrutinized it. Mine could still be made to double feed IF I seriously short stroked the action. The extractor doesn't pick up the rim until the round completely pops up out of the magazine, which is about 1/2 way through the bolt travel. Still though, it DOES get control of the round well before you close the bolt handle, which I can't see being a bad thing. Ejection is horizontal which means no cases bumping windage turrets. The same can't be said about some of the other custom actions out there. With only moderate rearward bolt speed manipulation, it really flings the cartridges out there. As adjusted from the factory, the trigger has a little creep, but is so smooth as to be nearly non-detectable. I didn't put a scale on it but it is very useable as adjusted from the factory. The magazine will actually hold 5 down. The belly seems relatively trim so I don't know how it does it, but it does.

Even, having not shot it yet, I am certain this will not be my last MRC. I like the action so much that even should it not shoot well (and based on its overall apparent quality, I don't expect that to be the case), I will just have it rebarreled. Range report to follow, but it will be about 10 days or so before I have the opportunity to shoot it.

John

Here is the Range report on same rifle.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ntana_Rifle_Company_XWR_Rang#Post9645294

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
have a Lh mrc x-2 in 308 shoots excellent, like the gun alot, very happy with it, it loves 168 ttsx.
not a light weight rifle with a 4.5x14x44 zeiss is near
9 pds all up.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by win9410
I'm considering the purchase of a Montana Rifle Co. gun in the ASR configuration. As a left hander, I have limited choices, and MRC offers a .260 that might be a great Pennsylvania deer rifle. Does anyone have experience with these guns? How do they shoot? What can I reasonably expect to spend for this model? Thank you for any assistance.
Don't have rifle they built, but have a .257R on one of their actions by Whitetail Gun Shop in Rauchtown. Works very well.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took my .300 RUM X2 model to the range for the first time today. Mounted a scope, tried a variety of loads. Two sighting shots. Next 3 190 LRAB over Retumbo went into 1.32". Next group went .48" with 180 AB's and 4350. Tried 175 Bergers with Rel 22 - .59". Tried the 190 LRAB/Retumbo load again and it opened back up to 1.40".

I wanted a big 30 that would outshoot my .300 Weatherby, and it's not close, the M1999 easily is the best big .30 I have. Very pleased with it. Very good groups, out of the box.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought one in 264 WM 2-3 years ago, it sowkrs perfectly, and shooots as good as I can with factory Nosler ammo.

Little heavy, but I'm not worried about that, I got plenty of light guns when I'm feeling weenie-ish

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.