Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
I've used Impertech once, then some Patagonia stuff for several years.

Last year I got one of those "boutique camo mountain hunting" jackets (Kuiu Yukon) for Christmas. I love the thing. I might have to get a pair of the pants, because there is nothing worse than not matching.

You always were a slave to fashion.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bad fashion.

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Still love the impertech. Although i even more love my bivy tarp which goes up in seconds with my walking pole. Bearpaw tarps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sheep hunting days are behind me most likely

But I've done a lil

The only way to do it is what works for you

Here's what worked best for me

Frogg Togg rain jacket, Red Ledge rain pants

Impertech just too heavy to sheep hunt imo, and this from a guy that practically lived in impertech during September

One thing always in my pack was a silnylon poncho, love dual duty gear, the poncho had tie downs on every corner , so could cover meat in sunny weather, stake out as a tent for a siwash

But what it got used mostly for was keeping me and my pack dry while glassing during inclement weather

With my above rain gear on and pack behind me as a chair, poncho slips over all and did a great job of keeping all but my arms dry ( ( if I was still glassing )

Plus if I'm hiking or hauling meat in the rain I'd rather wear the poncho than rain gear

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My current impertech is much lighter weight (thinner material) than my first set. Probably not as durable, but lighter and still waterproof.

Anyone get actual scale weights of imp vs others?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The weights are pretty comparable:

Impertech DLX is 30 oz

Sitka Stormfront is 24 oz

Kuiu Chugach is 19 oz

Kuiu Yukon is 29.2 ox

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks Woodits.

Waterproofness vs. weight vs. cost.

As my friend Randy sez, make your own self happy.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodhits
The weights are pretty comparable:

Impertech DLX is 30 oz

Sitka Stormfront is 24 oz

Kuiu Chugach is 19 oz

Kuiu Yukon is 29.2 ox

Don't have access to my digital sheep gear list and too lazy to look for the hard copy

IIRC 15 oz for FT jacket and about same for RL pants

A few ounces here or there doesn't really matter on the approach , really no biggie whether you're toting in 50 or 60 lbs

It's when you score a ram and are hauling him out with your gear that you start looking hard at every ounce and gram you're packing

At least that's how it went for me

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

A few ounces here or there doesn't really matter on the approach , really no biggie whether you're toting in 50 or 60 lbs

It's when you score a ram and are hauling him out with your gear that you start looking hard at every ounce and gram you're packing

Word that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cwh2

Word that.

+1 as well!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's hoping I find out what that's like.

Thanks again for all of the help guys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whoa, just noticed you're from Alabama. So I take it you'll be using a guide.

if so, you can spare some ounces and grams, he'll be doing the heavy lifting for you.

Typically I'd have my hunter pack out cape and horns while I packed the meat, with all of our personal gear of course.

had to laugh as one particular client did a lot better job keeping up on the way back than on the way in.

when we finally got back to base camp, I had him heft my pack compared to his and he realized perhaps he hadn't quite walked himself into sheep shape as much as he thought during that week.

on a guided hunt, you can hedge a fair amount

or if you don't want to pay a guide, I've got a single sister. (grin)

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, I'll be the client so I will be able to share the load with the guide. May also have a photographer with me and he's a fit little bastard so I'll be shoving as much of my gear in his pack as I can when he's not looking.

In all seriousness, I never like to approach hunts as "the client", I always want to pull my weight. I'll be 40 this Summer and I train pretty hard for this stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hell, you are a spring chicken compared to some guys that I have gotten Rams with. Your guide will appreciate you being in good shape more than you could imagine!

Tanner

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been to Alaska three times now and have found that Marmot Precip gear works great.

[Linked Image]

The thing I learned more though than "good rain gear" is the concept of staying warm while wet. Sweating through an 80# pack in the rain means I pretty much got every bit as damp. But at least I didn't have do deal with wet rain wicking my heat away.

Hunt Africa while you can
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My sheep hunting days are behind me most likely

But I've done a lil

The only way to do it is what works for you

Here's what worked best for me

Frogg Togg rain jacket, Red Ledge rain pants

Impertech just too heavy to sheep hunt imo, and this from a guy that practically lived in impertech during September

One thing always in my pack was a silnylon poncho, love dual duty gear, the poncho had tie downs on every corner , so could cover meat in sunny weather, stake out as a tent for a siwash

But what it got used mostly for was keeping me and my pack dry while glassing during inclement weather

With my above rain gear on and pack behind me as a chair, poncho slips over all and did a great job of keeping all but my arms dry ( ( if I was still glassing )

Plus if I'm hiking or hauling meat in the rain I'd rather wear the poncho than rain gear

Sheep hunting days seem like a lifetime ago, but my strategy was pretty similar to this wise fella. smile

Actually I wore a GI Gore-Tex Jacket all the time and the pants if it was wet. Although at times I did carry a GI poncho with me to throw on over everything, most times I was carrying one of those two-sided survival tarps (semi-lightweight w/grommets on the corners, about a 4' x 6' or so). They folded nicely and slid between a freighter frame and a moose bag and you always had that bit 'o safety with you.

I once mentioned the lightweight umbrella my partner brought, but I just about got run off the site so I'll leave that one be.

GI Gore Tex - buddy's ram from the Delta Control Unit

[Linked Image]

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats teh same goretex thats soaked through on us a few time in military rifle matches in hours long downpours... FWIW.

We still have and wear, just not at critical times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Never said it was great Jeff! And FWIW, I agree with your assessment, ithat old-age stuff seemed to lose its waterproofness fairly quickly. Always tried to have a new set for hunts.

The technology is soooo much better these days.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Yep, I'll be the client so I will be able to share the load with the guide. May also have a photographer with me and he's a fit little bastard so I'll be shoving as much of my gear in his pack as I can when he's not looking.

In all seriousness, I never like to approach hunts as "the client", I always want to pull my weight. I'll be 40 this Summer and I train pretty hard for this stuff.

That's a great attitude

Hope you score a really nice one

Thanks for coming to our state to hunt

It's beautiful here hope you savor every moment

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Never said it was great Jeff! And FWIW, I agree with your assessment, ithat old-age stuff seemed to lose its waterproofness fairly quickly. Always tried to have a new set for hunts.

The technology is soooo much better these days.

Wasn't a derogatory comment to you, just a comment.

Thats stuff I'd hate to get caught out with on a wet week out in the bush these dyas with better stuff out there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 776 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.