24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Won't be long until turkey season. I like shooting them with a bow, pigs are fair game too. I like the way they squeal when stuck.

BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 19 points for elk in Colorado. It takes 23 points to draw a tag in unit 201. I'm 69 now, so I'll be 73 if/when I draw that tag. That assumes that point creep won't make it worse. I hope I still have enough vitality to do the hunt.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd slip out to my son's property, and sit in a ground blind with a cup of coffee and my custom Mauser 98 in 7x57 Ackley.

Sam......

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Mustang Ranch.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same place I hunt every year, about 1600 acre patch in NW Pa. Been planning that as the location of my last hunt for years. Only God knows when that will be, could have already had it no hard feelings either. And definitely with the boys. But my dream hunt would be all the same but with the old man sitting just up over the hill. Thanks, now I'm all weepy 😉.

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 01/18/17.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by KC
I have 19 points for elk in Colorado. It takes 23 points to draw a tag in unit 201. I'm 69 now, so I'll be 73 if/when I draw that tag. That assumes that point creep won't make it worse. I hope I still have enough vitality to do the hunt.

KC

Would that be a guided hunt KC. I think i have 24 pp. I wish they were for deer, or better yet, bighorn.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/18/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
My last hunt? Id like to take Zero, Hill and Bill on a nice fly in drop camp hunt in the Brooks Range. 2 week hunt with 1 week of food. They'd have knives and a cookstove of course.

Id have a backpack with one man tent and lots of mountain house. We'd only need one gun. It would be a first for them-and last, most likely.

I Dindo Nuffin
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by KC

KC

Would that be a guided hunt KC. I think i have 24 pp. I wish they were for deer, or better yet, bighorn.

jaguartx:

I've never been on a guided hunt. But I might consider a guide when I'm 73.

It takes more points for nonresidents but 24 might do it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks KC. I had in mind a hunt for a monster with my Hawken many years ago but i have a big one and cant tell the difference between a big one and a monster now. I can though on a muley. I hate to pay several grand for a big bull hunt and im too old for that miserable backpacking crap i used to do.

Plus, i hear getting a really big bull can be a hell of a chore even in the best units.

PS. Good fortune on your quest KC. Get a monster and give us pics.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/18/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this is an interesting thread, and makes for good contemplation/reflection.

I'm in my 40's. My dad taught me most of what I've learned about Gods creation.

best part of our elk hunts (thus far) is just having my dad there. He's 63 and still able to get around pretty good. Hope that holds out for many more trips to the mountains.

in 2018 I plan to have my dad, and my son (will be 14) in elk camp.

if it gets better than that (3 generations), dont tell me about it!

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 68 and in pretty good shape. My 2 long time partners are 3 and 4 years older than me and both are having leg problems. Both might have seen their last season of elk hunting, possibly deer hunting, too. I might be fresh out of partners. That'll definitely be a life change for me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me it would have to be a mule deer hunt someplace good, don't much care if it was desert sage country or high alpine as long it was in a good area with big bucks!! And I'd likely be carrying my Remington KS .280, so far I've taken my best buck with it, like to find another bigger:)

I sure hope its not my last hunt but will be doing a solo DIY in Wyoming this year, I've got the points to draw unit 34 so will be looking for a big gnarly 4x4 muley!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Im praying you get a gnarly 12 or 14 pointer, OM and show us the pics. smile

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For me it would be moose / sheep / black bear in Alaska with my kids.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Teeder
For me it would be moose / sheep / black bear in Alaska with my kids.

+1
Any trip I dream about involves my family.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am 65 and have always been in good shape but, recently have had back issues that will permanently affect my ability to climb and walk great distances. My "last hunt" would be one more elk hunt in CO. It would be from our SO Tipi in a basecamp somewhere far off the beaten path.

I will continue hunting as long as I can, and I'm currently considering a guided NM antelope hunt from 4x4 vehicles with minimal walking involved. However, they don't say how far we might have to crawl.

Last edited by Biggs300; 01/20/17.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watching one of my kids shoot a moose or bison would work.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jaguartx
My last hunt? Id like to take Zero, Hill and Bill on a nice fly in drop camp hunt in the Brooks Range. 2 week hunt with 1 week of food. They'd have knives and a cookstove of course.

Id have a backpack with one man tent and lots of mountain house. We'd only need one gun. It would be a first for them-and last, most likely.

You win! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
As long as it was with a bunch of my family (mostly my kids), I wouldn't care much what the hunt was.

But if it had to be DIY and enjoyable, Wyoming antelope and deer sounds pretty good.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by KC

KC

If I can still walk and remember where I am at,I'll be your guide KC.I will only be 77 then.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
248 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.