Print Thread
Hop To
#11712434 01/05/17
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Well, it looks like I am going to be the proud new owner of a Navy Arms/Uberti 1860 Henry in .45 Colt. I am rearming to get back into cowboy action shooting and decided to go with a pair of Pietta 1860 Army revolvers as my main guns and figured the Henry would be the appropriate rifle. Any of you have any experience with the Henry 1860? I am aware of a few quirks like moving your hand for the follower as you shoot. Are there any others I need to worry about? Also I will be shooting strictly black powder in it.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
BP-B2

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even with a repro, that's a pretty exclusive club. Enjoy your rifle!

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image]

The barrel will get a tad warm on you. More so with black powder than smokeless. You should have a glove.

Mine shoots 2.5" at 50 yards with black powder...but it's a .44-40 so I can't comment on .45 Colt.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a beautiful rifle!

I've seen a modified stance holding the receiver in front of the lever with the left hand and elbow close to the chest. I can't get that to feel natural, but my length of pull is pretty long. I would think if you were small framed enough, that may work, but I would expect the muzzle to get heavy.

The 1860 has it's drawbacks, that's why they made the 66.

That being said, I'm currently on the prowl for the model made by Henry. I think I'll go with the .44-40.

I'll be interested to see how your chamber works out. I anticipate a lot of smoky cases and a dirty receiver that needs a lot of cleaning. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Frontiersman,

Not much cleaning at all. The cases for .44-40 are thin and seal the breech easily. But saying this, it also makes reloading them tricky. Don't try to crimp at the same time you seat the bullet. Make it a separate step or you'll crush cases.

Still, I normally load with 777 rather than real black. There is a bit more power that seals the chamber better and the residue is easier to clean.

As for cleaning, I found that you can clean the little fouling you get with cold water and swabs.

The bolt (when closed) will show you that if any residue gets past the bolt face it will adhere to the right and left of the bolt and be limited to easily reached metal.

Cool water cleans fouling better than boiling water. The only reason anyone ever used boiling water, was to facilitate breech drying way down deep in the muzzleloading chamber. With a lever gun, you don' t need that. If you're using black or a substitute, clean the bore with water and brush and patches. And dry accordingly.

I use a hair dryer to dry things up with the Henry. I also use a suction bulb like you use for baby's nose to draw up water and flush out the breech area if I fear there may be fouling down where it's hard to reach. Dry with hair dryer and lube and you're done.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan, that's why I said I would go with the .44-40.

The OP's question was about the .45 colt. They are notorious smokers with low pressure rounds, due to the generous chambers often found in lever rifles, particularly the later Winchesters.

There are work-arounds for the Colt, but like you, I have never had that problem with the .44-40. It's an ideal lever cartridge.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have one of the 'Iron Frame' Henry's from Uberti in 45 Colt with the fake case hardening and really love it. It is accurate out to 100 yds for minute of Bambi. One day I might take it Deer hunting. I have only shot my home cast in it and have no complaints about it.

Steve........

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 17 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 653 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.