Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TBS
In all my years of competitive shooting I have witnessed a lot of things, guns blown up, guns that won't go bang, squib loads etc. etc. I have yet to see a Rem 700 bolt handle come off. How does one person go about breaking off 7 of them?

Honestly they just fell off while shooting. Remington replaced every one of them. 3 of them were on one rifle. Fell off, replaced, fell of replacement, replaced, fell off second replacement, replaced....

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't think I'd go with replacements that many times.

Believe I'd go with TIG welding after first failure.

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I would not want it if it were "molded" into the action...

Because.....??

I would rather it be "machined" as part of the action...as in Winchester, Older Sakos, Mauser, ect...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I would not want it if it were "molded" into the action...

Because.....??

I would rather it be "machined" as part of the action...as in Winchester, Older Sakos, Mauser, ect...

We agree. I used the wrong word.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by notamos
Holy poo. That's not good. NEVER seen that before.
Nor have I... eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If it's MIM, which it sounds like, wonder when they switched from stamped steel.

I'm not a manufacturing engineer, but it seems to me a stamped steel part shouldn't cost more to make than an MIM part.

But, it wouldn't take much pocket change for bean counters to make the move.

Appreciate input on that.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wondering if the OD of the bbl exceeded the ID of the lug and was forced on.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If it's MIM, which it sounds like, wonder when they switched from stamped steel.

I'm not a manufacturing engineer, but it seems to me a stamped steel part shouldn't cost more to make than an MIM part.

DF

Stamped steel parts that are the thickness of recoil lugs aren't going to have clean edges unless they're machined after coming out of the press.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Stamped steel parts that are the thickness of recoil lugs aren't going to have clean edges unless they're machined after coming out of the press.

I thought of that after I wrote the post. Probably an additional process or two which may make MIM cheaper.

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Wondering if the OD of the bbl exceeded the ID of the lug and was forced on.

That seems like a very plausible explanation.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I see it on Kimbers all the time... $%&*^ junk

smile

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wondering if a skosh of tolerance were given when they torqued that together. You shot it in and allowed a small bit of freedom in there. Allowing the lug to kick just slightly. When pressure got to the smallest number it cracked...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I contacted Remington a week ago and finally got an email on Monday. I responded with all the information they requested and didn't hear anything Monday or Tuesday so I called today and after two transfers and a long hold I was told to send it in and they'd look at it. I asked how long the repair might take and they said "6 weeks".

The guy told he he'd send the info to send it which I promptly received but there was no shipping label. In order to get Remington to fix a **cked up brand new rifle they want to to ship it on my dime. F em. I'll have it fixed myself

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When my New Bearcat had lockup and timing issues, I paid for Overnight to Ruger. When it came back worse than before, I squawked, and they sent me a label and a check for the original shipping fee. They also finally fixed my gun.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/01/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by huntsonora
So I contacted Remington a week ago and finally got an email on Monday. I responded with all the information they requested and didn't hear anything Monday or Tuesday so I called today and after two transfers and a long hold I was told to send it in and they'd look at it. I asked how long the repair might take and they said "6 weeks".

The guy told he he'd send the info to send it which I promptly received but there was no shipping label. In order to get Remington to fix a **cked up brand new rifle they want to to ship it on my dime. F em. I'll have it fixed myself

In 1997 I bought a Remington 700 KS in 7 rem mag. It was my first custom shop remington and I loved the way it felt. I took it to the range and could not get a shell to extract after firing it . I had to hit the bolt handle with my palm to extract a round, thinking it might have been a defective round I repeated the operation and it still did not work. I took it to the LGS where I bought it and they would not take it back since it was fired. I called Remington and sent it back , their "custom" shop had it for 4 months. That was the last custom shop Remington I bought new .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No different than Kimber

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn

No different than Kimber

Actually, nope. Kimber sent me a return shipping label for my new 280AI when it wouldn't eject the spent casings. Their turnaround was quick and their communication was fantastic

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's good to hear

I have returned 3.... 2 on my dime

The last one I had with issues didnt get returned

It was giving me light primer strikes so I called Kimber....they wanted me to send it to them

I asked about shipping and was told they wouldn't pay for my end but would cover their end

I ordered a new spring for $17

The last 2 Montanas I've owned had short recoil lug screws....Kimber replaced one with the same exact length.

I get the correct ones from Brownells

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine had to send a rifle back to Ruger twice before the vaunted controlled round feeding claw extractor would reliably extract brass from the chamber. I can tell you this was definitely not because of hot loads, or any load for that matter. It wouldn't reliably extract unfired rounds or new empty brass.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

If you would have asked for a return label, they would have given you one.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

96 members (35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 14 invisible), 969 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.