Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anybody ever seen this? There's been 20-25 down the tube since I purchased it new back in May.. All factory ammo. Remington 700 SS sps in 25-06

[Linked Image]

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Holy poo. That's not good. NEVER seen that before.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's gonna have to go back. Looks like they got some bad material.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
W O W ! No I ain't never seen that, HOWEVER my 700s are all OLDER!- pre '95. My last NEW 700 was bought in 95 so it was made before.

I think kingston has it nailed. Bad Material.

Good Luck w/ Rem C S.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rem CS is very good at least my interaction with them has been.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's ok.
The other day I picked up a brand new Remington Versa Max in cabelas, when I shouldered it and looked down the barrel it looked like somebody wrapped it around a tree.
I showed the cabelas guy and he about fell over when he saw it too.
The barrel had about a 3/8" bend mid way down the barrel toward the right.
I think they were going to send it back. Lol

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
yeah, and Rem bolt handles don't fall off either...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have an email in to Remington now. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Crazy thing is the damn thing shot pretty good but the last shot I took was a layup at a coyote and I miffed it. It's bothered me since it happened last month

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Powdered metal recoil lug ? they do own a facility

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a cracked lug on a used LVSF I bought, simple swap out and confirm headspace is still acceptable. It took me under 10min.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigJ
I had a cracked lug on a used LVSF I bought, simple swap out and confirm headspace is still acceptable. It took me under 10min.

I hear you. This rifle was bought brand new recently. If the recoil lug cracks it makes me wonder what else may not be up to par

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have the exact same rifle that's probably not seen its first birthday yet... trying to get the rear action screw out the first time flattened half of the threads on the screw. Had to get a tap and chase the hole. It recut about 50% of the threads. Seems small, but I see it as if trouble was had tapping a screw hole are there other bigger issues. Turns out no so far. With corelokts it will shoot 1/2 moa. I'm happy for now.

You'll shoot your eye out
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[quote=Seafire]yeah, and Rem bolt handles don't fall off either... [/quote

Mine are still there. Only one have I had to re-silver solder.... Probably shouldn't have whacked it with that hammer. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I hear you. This rifle was bought brand new recently. If the recoil lug cracks it makes me wonder what else may not be up to par

I would be nervous as well

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

MIM parts have 95% of the density of "real" steel. Guess that 5% matters sometimes. I can't imagine that a lug stamped out of ordinary steel would ever do that.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

MIM parts have 95% of the density of "real" steel. Guess that 5% matters sometimes. I can't imagine that a lug stamped out of ordinary steel would ever do that.

There is no benefit in a recoil lug being manufactured using MIM

It is far to simple a part to die stamp. A die is less expensive to build vs a MIM injection mold and in the production scenario there is no secondary operation in the oven that MIM requires

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I never have understood why the recoil lug is not molded into the action as a single piece. I don't comprehend why it's a two piece. The recoil lug on a Sako 85 works but it is plumb goofy.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I never have understood why the recoil lug is not molded into the action as a single piece. I don't comprehend why it's a two piece. The recoil lug on a Sako 85 works but it is plumb goofy.

I would not want it if it were "molded" into the action...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Because.....??

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Yeah, it would bend if that is even possible.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

My experience with MIM (not good) finds it to be brittle. CZ triggers are MIM and I broke one taking the gun out of the stock. New Rem triggers are MIM along with a lot of gun parts these days.

That cracked recoil lug must be MIM. I agree, a piece of stamped steel that thick would bend before it broke, unless it was overly hardened. And I don't think recoil lugs would be hardened enough to be that brittle.

The problem with sending it back, you'll get another MIM part. I don't think it would cost that much to replace that lug with a steel one, check the headspace and move on. At least the replacement won't crack like that. I would think 700 Rem smiths probably have vintage OEM lugs lying around the shop.

IMO.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My experience with MIM (not good) finds it to be brittle. CZ triggers are MIM and I broke one taking the gun out of the stock. New Rem triggers are MIM along with a lot of gun parts these days.

That cracked recoil lug must be MIM. I agree, a piece of stamped steel that thick would bend before it broke, unless it was overly hardened. And I don't think recoil lugs would be hardened enough to be that brittle.

The problem with sending it back, you'll get another MIM part. I don't think it would cost that much to replace that lug with a steel one, check the headspace and move on. At least the replacement won't crack like that. I would think 700 Rem smiths probably have vintage OEM lugs lying around the shop.

IMO.

DF

+1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is no benefit for the consumer in manufacturing anything firearms related using MIM...

I fixed that a little...

But as long as guys keep buying their crap the bean counters at Remington will keep selling it to them. ..guaranteed...

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you're keeping the rifle, get an old solid steel recoil lug and have your smith change it out.

Don't send it back to Remington.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Bolts are not nearly fancy enough material-specification-wise to use sintered steel.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I would send it back to Remington on their dime and let them fix it.....It will be fine, My guess is your problem is a very isolated issue as Remington sells tens of thousands of Model 700's every year and I am not aware of recoil lugs ever being an issue.........Good luck........Hb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No sweat, great selection from OEM replacement (0.187" thick) to super duper precision stuff.

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=Remington+700+recoil+lugs&userItemsPerPage=48

Any gunsmith with all his fingers remaining can easily swap one in, even cutting the barrel shoulder back for a thick precision one to fit. But I'd send it back to Remington first, that way they know there's a problem.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Bolts are not nearly fancy enough material-specification-wise to use sintered steel.

WTF are you talking about, is powdered metal not used in the MIM process? Who is talking about a bolt?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I would send it back to Remington on their dime and let them fix it.....It will be fine, My guess is your problem is a very isolated issue as Remington sells tens of thousands of Model 700's every year and I am not aware of recoil lugs ever being an issue.........Good luck........Hb

I've bought 3 new Remington's in the past year - an ADL, an SPS and a long range. Both the ADL and SPS are going back to Remington very shortly. Buddy bought two ADL's a year or so ago, both had issues. Their quality has gotten to be the worst I've seen of any brand.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It would be interesting to know what the hardness is of the cracked recoil lug and whether or not the face of the receiver is square.
The last Remington action I used to build a rifle was way out of square and the face of the action looked like it had been cut off with a chop saw.

Harry
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not all Remington actions are the same, but most need to be trued when barreling. The recoil lugs are steel and not sure if Remington knows their hardness.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

And everyone here owns all the tools to do that job??? Not very fu ckig likely.

Drummond, sorry to see this happen buddy. Hopefully Remington can put a better one on when they repair it!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have an email in to Remington now. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Crazy thing is the damn thing shot pretty good but the last shot I took was a layup at a coyote and I miffed it. It's bothered me since it happened last month

I will be interested in their response.

Possibly a bad batch of steel. Remember what happened to Sako with their SS barrels ten years ago.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn

There is no benefit in a recoil lug being manufactured using MIM

It is far to simple a part to die stamp. A die is less expensive to build vs a MIM injection mold and in the production scenario there is no secondary operation in the oven that MIM requires

I imagine you're correct there. I was just on an anti-MIM rant. Any idea on how a stamped piece that thick could develop a crack like that?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I checked the hardness on a couple of Remington recoil lugs that were in our junk drawer. They came out @ 36 on the RC scale. That is about what I thought it would be. Really surprises me that one would crack since it is a part that does not need to be hard.

Harry
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Seafire
yeah, and Rem bolt handles don't fall off either...

My father in law is an old DuPont executive so he has always been a Remington man as well as an IMR man.

Over the past 5 years he's had 7 bolt handles fall off while shooting at the bench. All either model Seven or 700s

Last edited by MarkFed; 01/29/17.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In all my years of competitive shooting I have witnessed a lot of things, guns blown up, guns that won't go bang, squib loads etc. etc. I have yet to see a Rem 700 bolt handle come off. How does one person go about breaking off 7 of them?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

And everyone here owns all the tools to do that job??? Not very fu ckig likely.

Drummond, sorry to see this happen buddy. Hopefully Remington can put a better one on when they repair it!!!!!!!

Easy there killer. I never said everyone would, or should - nor did I defend Remington. The op asked if anyone else had seen a cracked lug, and I said I did and how I fixed it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just found the lug I replaced....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TBS
In all my years of competitive shooting I have witnessed a lot of things, guns blown up, guns that won't go bang, squib loads etc. etc. I have yet to see a Rem 700 bolt handle come off. How does one person go about breaking off 7 of them?

Honestly they just fell off while shooting. Remington replaced every one of them. 3 of them were on one rifle. Fell off, replaced, fell of replacement, replaced, fell off second replacement, replaced....

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't think I'd go with replacements that many times.

Believe I'd go with TIG welding after first failure.

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Because.....??

I would rather it be "machined" as part of the action...as in Winchester, Older Sakos, Mauser, ect...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

Because.....??

I would rather it be "machined" as part of the action...as in Winchester, Older Sakos, Mauser, ect...

We agree. I used the wrong word.

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by notamos
Holy poo. That's not good. NEVER seen that before.
Nor have I... eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If it's MIM, which it sounds like, wonder when they switched from stamped steel.

I'm not a manufacturing engineer, but it seems to me a stamped steel part shouldn't cost more to make than an MIM part.

But, it wouldn't take much pocket change for bean counters to make the move.

Appreciate input on that.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wondering if the OD of the bbl exceeded the ID of the lug and was forced on.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If it's MIM, which it sounds like, wonder when they switched from stamped steel.

I'm not a manufacturing engineer, but it seems to me a stamped steel part shouldn't cost more to make than an MIM part.

DF

Stamped steel parts that are the thickness of recoil lugs aren't going to have clean edges unless they're machined after coming out of the press.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

DF

Stamped steel parts that are the thickness of recoil lugs aren't going to have clean edges unless they're machined after coming out of the press.

I thought of that after I wrote the post. Probably an additional process or two which may make MIM cheaper.

DF

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Wondering if the OD of the bbl exceeded the ID of the lug and was forced on.

That seems like a very plausible explanation.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I see it on Kimbers all the time... $%&*^ junk

smile

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wondering if a skosh of tolerance were given when they torqued that together. You shot it in and allowed a small bit of freedom in there. Allowing the lug to kick just slightly. When pressure got to the smallest number it cracked...

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I contacted Remington a week ago and finally got an email on Monday. I responded with all the information they requested and didn't hear anything Monday or Tuesday so I called today and after two transfers and a long hold I was told to send it in and they'd look at it. I asked how long the repair might take and they said "6 weeks".

The guy told he he'd send the info to send it which I promptly received but there was no shipping label. In order to get Remington to fix a **cked up brand new rifle they want to to ship it on my dime. F em. I'll have it fixed myself

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When my New Bearcat had lockup and timing issues, I paid for Overnight to Ruger. When it came back worse than before, I squawked, and they sent me a label and a check for the original shipping fee. They also finally fixed my gun.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/01/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
So I contacted Remington a week ago and finally got an email on Monday. I responded with all the information they requested and didn't hear anything Monday or Tuesday so I called today and after two transfers and a long hold I was told to send it in and they'd look at it. I asked how long the repair might take and they said "6 weeks".

The guy told he he'd send the info to send it which I promptly received but there was no shipping label. In order to get Remington to fix a **cked up brand new rifle they want to to ship it on my dime. F em. I'll have it fixed myself

In 1997 I bought a Remington 700 KS in 7 rem mag. It was my first custom shop remington and I loved the way it felt. I took it to the range and could not get a shell to extract after firing it . I had to hit the bolt handle with my palm to extract a round, thinking it might have been a defective round I repeated the operation and it still did not work. I took it to the LGS where I bought it and they would not take it back since it was fired. I called Remington and sent it back , their "custom" shop had it for 4 months. That was the last custom shop Remington I bought new .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

No different than Kimber

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn

No different than Kimber

Actually, nope. Kimber sent me a return shipping label for my new 280AI when it wouldn't eject the spent casings. Their turnaround was quick and their communication was fantastic

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's good to hear

I have returned 3.... 2 on my dime

The last one I had with issues didnt get returned

It was giving me light primer strikes so I called Kimber....they wanted me to send it to them

I asked about shipping and was told they wouldn't pay for my end but would cover their end

I ordered a new spring for $17

The last 2 Montanas I've owned had short recoil lug screws....Kimber replaced one with the same exact length.

I get the correct ones from Brownells

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine had to send a rifle back to Ruger twice before the vaunted controlled round feeding claw extractor would reliably extract brass from the chamber. I can tell you this was definitely not because of hot loads, or any load for that matter. It wouldn't reliably extract unfired rounds or new empty brass.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

If you would have asked for a return label, they would have given you one.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

If you would have asked for a return label, they would have given you one.

I sent an email requesting one last week with no response

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No emails...do it over the phone.

Remington sent me a brand new Sendero stock after describing a issue I had with mine. Once they found out the rifle was less than 2 years old, there was no more discussion. They sent the stock...and did not ask for the old one back.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just an update for those that are interested.

Sent it back to Remington a few weeks back. The complaint form clearly states that there is a cracked recoil lug in the notes but I guess they don't have a tab for "cracked recoil lug" on their repair menu so they put "broken bolt" as the complaint with "cracked recoil lug" in the notes directly below it.

Turn around time was great but when I opened the box I saw stunned to see that the technician stated that he "couldn't duplicate the customers concerns" and they sent the rifle back to me with the cracked recoil lug. What's amazing is that the crack is above the line of the stock. It's clearly cracked yet Remington's response was that it's a non issue.

I sent an email and will follow up with a phone call first thing tomorrow. I am beyond pissed

Last edited by huntsonora; 08/20/17.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's more than disappointing. That's not even trying...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wow.. this really has me second guessing the 700 AWR I was planning to buy next month.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Horseman
That's more than disappointing. That's not even trying...

Had a Burris scope with the reticle off by 45 degrees... two returns and the reticle was still off by 45 degrees! Sent it back a third time and told them to stick it in a particular nether region... got a new scope...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

WTF are you talking about, is powdered metal not used in the MIM process? Who is talking about a bolt?

Should be obvious... a frigging bolt is not complicated enough to go to sintered steel, so a recoil lug being sintered steel is laughable.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You should post pictures of the broken recoil lug and the letter from Remington so that it can be forwarded all over the internet. Screw Remington.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That sucks!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sent it back to Remington a few weeks back. The complaint form clearly states that there is a cracked recoil lug in the notes but I guess they don't have a tab for "cracked recoil lug" on their repair menu so they put "broken bolt" as the complaint with "cracked recoil lug" in the notes directly below it.

Turn around time was great but when I opened the box I saw stunned to see that the technician stated that he "couldn't duplicate the customers concerns" and they sent the rifle back to me with the cracked recoil lug. What's amazing is that the crack is above the line of the stock. It's clearly cracked yet Remington's response was that it's a non issue.

I sent an email and will follow up with a phone call first thing tomorrow. I am beyond pissed

WOW! What a bummer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

That would have me fuming.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yessir, I'm fuming. It even says "ensured function and safety. Gallery tested" in the notes.

Another thing that I'm pissed about is that I sent it in the original box per their request and I always tape my receipt to the inside of the box lid. They shipped it back to me without the receipt and not in the original box. It's a generic little box with a sleeve around it for shipping purposes so I now have no original box and no proof of purchase

I look forward to talking with the folks at Remington today....

Last edited by huntsonora; 08/21/17.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Man, that really sucks.
We see a lot of Remington lug and barrel issues. Cracked lugs is not uncommon and lugs off by several degrees is becoming rather normal. The barrel centerline off by several degrees or just plain bent is more common than not also.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fill out the complaint form in braille. It is obvious that Remington's staff use white canes to get to work in the morning.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I guess standard procedure for a new remington these days is

Bush firing pin hole
Tig Weld Bolt Handle
remove barrel, clean up action face and then install a new aftermarket lug
Install new Trigger and magazine follower

DId I miss anything ? grin

I just bought a new 700 CDL 30-06 that after rebate will have cost me 460 dollars. I have changed the follower and will call it good, hopefully the lug doesn't crack or bolt handle fall off.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Alex38
Wow.. this really has me second guessing the 700 AWR I was planning to buy next month.

Will be going over my 700 AWR with a fine tooth comb later today. Picked up from ffl last monday and put it in the safe, .

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just hung up with Remington. The person I talked to was cool and admitted he'd be pissed too and is going to his bosses to see what they can get done. I knows I'm not thrilled with Remington and he had me send pics to his email address. He opened the email and said "God almighty that's obvious" so at least he admitted they screwed up. Waiting on a call back now and will update this thread when I get more Information. I asked him to overnight a new rifle to my FFL and I'll send this one back.

He asked if I had the original receipt and I said "I used to, it was taped to the inside of the lid of the original box I sent y'all as requested and y'all didn't send me the box or the receipt back".

We'll see what happens.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sure am hoping they do the right thing, good luck.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Drum. I HAVE BEEN a Remington user & believer since the 1970s. I've read many of the woes of some R owner/users BUT...

YOUR experiences 'here' with 'this' rifle have made MORE impact on me than ALL others combined. The Rem rifles I have now, have NOT given me one problem. I will keep and continue to use them BUT....unless things change for the 'better' I have serious doubts about ever buying another NEW Rem product.

I certainly hope that Rem does RIGHT by you and gets their act together SOON.
I will be following your 'progress' (?) on this project.

GOOD LUCK

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drumm,

Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you talked to the right person and hopefully it'll get resolved.
Someone is in for an @sschewin' at Remington. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I got a call back from the Remington rep and I'm genuinely pleased with the resolution. They are shipping a new rifle to me and I am overnighting the defective rifle back to them. He said that the ticket made it back to the gunsmiths and engineers and they want to test the metal on mine to see what made it crack.

He knew I was pissed because they botched the first attempt at fixing it but they are more than making up for it now IMO

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So I got a call back from the Remington rep and I'm genuinely pleased with the resolution. They are shipping a new rifle to me and I am overnighting the defective rifle back to them. He said that the ticket made it back to the gunsmiths and engineers and they want to test the metal on mine to see what made it crack.

He knew I was pissed because they botched the first attempt at fixing it but they are more than making up for it now IMO

Good on them. I hope the replacement exceeds expectations!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
huntsonora: "He opened the email and said "God almighty that's obvious...etc." - really surprised your Remington rep. stated that. Guess the he must've missed the Remington
class on "never admit to liability". Homesteader

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Now that is a good outcome.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've not had issue with the few newer Remington 700s I've purchased (an ADL and a Mtn Rifle). Glad Remington is making it right on their 2nd attempt, but the problem and process of repair to this point is alarming.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fantastic Drumm !!!

I'm very glad they R making it good. Shouldn't have been any ? In the first place.

Please let us know how the new rifle works out.

Good Hunting & Good Shooting

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good results..... know why?

"It wasn't because of your rugged good looks.... it was your confidence"

Some flaming homo told me that once.... I think he might have been hitting on me....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I never seen a lug break...there are plenty of like new older rifles out there why buy a new one that's garbage...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I wouldn't call it a victory yet. There's still plenty of opportunity for Remington to dick this up in their special way. I hope they fire the idiot who botched your diagnosis.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My newest 700 is over 30 yrs. old.

I hate MIM parts. Some of these new guns use a lot of that, Remington especially.

At least Rugers are cast steel, not MIM. Haven't heard of an investment cast steel part breaking.

A slab of "steel" like a recoil lug cracking, gotta be MIM... Real steel won't do that. They probably put stress on that part, cranked down on the barrel as they screwed it in place.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My newest 700 is over 30 yrs. old.

I hate MIM parts. Some of these new guns use a lot of that, Remington especially.

At least Rugers are cast steel, not MIM. Haven't heard of an investment cast steel part breaking.

A slab of "steel" like a recoil lug cracking, gotta be MIM... Real steel won't do that. They probably put stress on that part, cranked down on the barrel as they screwed it in place.

DF

You still do not get the fact it is NOT a MIM part?

Some of the best planer blades are sintered steel... the abuse they get is orders of magnitude greater than any rifle part...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Regardless, I'd say they just lost a customer on this end. That was crap service, and the fact that they sent it back still cracked the first time deserves a lawsuit, not a resolution.

So, when are you selling your brand-new unfired rifle???

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You have an FFL? Cuzz if you don't there is no way they can ship a new rifle to you.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You have an FFL? Cuzz if you don't there is no way they can ship a new rifle to you.

I ordinarily don't respond BUT...

I know for a fact they can! Don't ask me how, it has been done.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 08/23/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Nope, no FFL and I have a tracking number for the rifle

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I wonder how that works.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how that works.

We had a similar discussion on the Savage forum. Savage did a complete replacement and shipped it directly back to the non-FFL customer. There was a pretty good explanation provided there. I'll see if I can stir it up, but it was a long time ago.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Laws may have changed but I had one shipped directly to my as it fell under a provision of returning a repaired firearm.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had one that was replaced by Weatherby but they sent it to one of their authorized dealers. I think it is probably easier for the MFR to do that then scrap the bad rifle and fill out new paperwork.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Laws may have changed but I had one shipped directly to my as it fell under a provision of returning a repaired firearm.

I don't remember the exact year but @ 1990 Browning replaced a BLR for me.
They mailed it direct to me.

I 'supposed' they did the replacement on their FFL. Don't know, didn't ask.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder how that works.

Replacement in kind and it does not even have to be the same model. 100% legal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by websterparish47

I don't remember the exact year but @ 1990 Browning replaced a BLR for me.
They mailed it direct to me.

I 'supposed' they did the replacement on their FFL. Don't know, didn't ask.

Jerry

Same here. Circa 2005 Browning sent me a brand new Citori FW Upland in the mail. Just... mailed it. Or maybe UPS, I dunno. Seemed weird at the time.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I was very surprised when I sent a new Savage Favorite back to Savage for a defective trigger and got a new rifle with a different serial number shipped back to me to my home address.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector

Bruce

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used a Holland lug on my last build. You ain't cracking THAT. Yes I would recommend this product. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,455
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.