Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by buckstix
Originally Posted by Huntz
Did you look under the butt plate?Did you take the barreled action out f the stock?Eagle River was the home to few Custom Rifle builders.I will try and jog my memory.

Nothing in the barrel channel ....

Yes, please let me know if you remember any of the Customers Gun Builders in that area.

buckstix-
Wally Strutz was a builder in Eagle River WI. Google thinks that he is still there.

Here's a thread with photos of some of Strutz's work:
[color:#0000FF]Need help IDing this custom rifle.[/color].

If Strutz did not make your rifle, he may know who did so. He's been working for decades in the northern WI region. He rebuilt Layne Simpson's Varmintmaster for the 7mm SGLC, a 308-based wildcat. Simpson took the rifle to Africa and has written at least a couple of articles about it.
--Bob
-Bob

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello BullShooter,

Thanks for the reply.

I actually handled that rifle. It belonged to a friend of mine.

This rifle of mine is better quality wormanship than that custom 35-348 Siamese Mauser was. Also, Strutz typically marked his work - there are no markings of his on this rifle.

I think Walley Strutz passed away in the early 2000's but I'll research him.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I still think that your stock in related to Herters, although it may not be a product of their shop.

Remember, at this time Herters was selling their semi-inletted blanks to anyone, anywhere, they could ship them to. It was just trimmed and fitted out to his or his customers taste.

Herters stock blanks were characterized by a surplus of wood. I have a rifle stocked in the early 60's in one of their cherry blanks. Very heavy. A friend bought a Fajen stock for his large ring 98 at the same time. I swear it was a pound lighter. Herte semi-inlets were characterized by plenty of wood to "cusmize."

Whoever stocked and checkered your rifle did exelent job. I wish my old large ring 98 looked as good. This was the era of the garage and basement gunsmith. There were many good, cheap surple actions and parts. No big FFL rules to prohibit the work. Many men did metal work. Some did stock work, and some just checkered. Some did all. The good old days.

People shooting people, blowing up things. Sad for all. I mostly miss the loss of cheap actions and parts to play with. Another confession of a rifle looney....

I am in the correct place.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello swarf,

Thanks for your reply.

Its NOT a Herter's stock. If you look closely at the pictures of the butt and the grip, you can see where the stock maker spliced-in a 1/8" exrension. Not something Herter's did.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 19rabbit52, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 3,129 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.