Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So, I was fortunate to come into a little extra money and decided it best be spent on a moose hunt in BC. I am in Idaho and will be driving up. The outfitter is based just outside of Prince George area. http://www.opatcholakeoutfitters.com/moosehunting.htm

Done a lot of research, asked a lot questions, and feel this will be a good fit. Looking for a good, hard working wilderness hunt with a chance at a 40+" bull. All in all, I think what this outfitter offers fills that need.

I have read the preparing for canada hunt thread and that was very valuable read. Any information, experiences, things to look for anyone wants to share? Anything about the drive? I plan to put a freezer in the back of my truck with my honda generator to haul back the meat.

Thanks in advance
Adam

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hiaring8;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the year has been treating you well thus far.

This past fall was one of the weirder years on many levels for hunting all across BC it seems, so if you're polling hunters based upon the 2016 season don't be too surprised if a lot of tags went uncut.

If you're coming up in the early season then the weather shouldn't be as big of an issue, but if you're coming for their late hunt then one would want snow tires for sure and check the DriveBC website whenever possible before heading over the passes.

Again if you're budget can absorb it, then up there I'd pack a wolf and black bear tag - well anywhere in BC we typically do but of course the tags are less expensive for residents. That said there's no shortage of bears or wolves and both make nice "side trophies" if you will.

Should specific questions come up that you think I might be able to help with then by all means shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

Hopefully that was useful information for a start sir. Good luck on your hunt plans and of course the hunt itself.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be hunting moose and mnt goat north of Revelstoke this fall. I think this will be my 8th hunt in BC. Outside of Alaska it is my favorite place to be. Just make sure you have your 4457 before heading into Canada and have fun.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give yourself some extra time so you can sight see. Beautiful country. I hauled all of my moose meat back to Missouri in big coolers. Had the boned out meat frozen at a locker then added dry ice a couple of time on the way home. Was still frozen when I arrived. Best meat I have ever had.

Killing a wolf is highly recommended but it is extremely expensive to get it back over the border legally. Cites is a expensive pain in the butt.

Finally got my hide back at the end of December. Killed it the first of October.

Hope you have a blast take a lot of pictures. I cant wait to go back someday.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless things have changed, you can import the wolf yourself once you have the cites permit and save yourself a lot of money. It will require a trip back to get it, but might not be that big a deal for someone close to the border. I'm sure you could arrange with a local taxidermist to store at a minimal charge.

I ended up leaving two skulls and a marginal hide when I found out how much it was going to be to have them expedited across the border. In hindsight I should have had the outfitter just hang on to the skulls until I came back the next year and brought them back myself.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM sent

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Unless things have changed, you can import the wolf yourself once you have the cites permit and save yourself a lot of money. It will require a trip back to get it, but might not be that big a deal for someone close to the border. I'm sure you could arrange with a local taxidermist to store at a minimal charge.

I ended up leaving two skulls and a marginal hide when I found out how much it was going to be to have them expedited across the border. In hindsight I should have had the outfitter just hang on to the skulls until I came back the next year and brought them back myself.

Im sure I paid a premium due my not doing homework on this as I did not know it was a requirement until after I had killed my Wolf. Expensive lesson learned but all in all it will be worth it as the chances of me ever killing another Wolf is slim. Just wanted to throw it out there so people are aware. Looks like you have some good info there. I got the Skull as well. I need to make a shelf and hanger for when I get the hide back.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Adam, I can't help you with the moose hunt nor outfitter but I did drive up to central BC from Phx area a few years ago to hunt mule deer. I learned a few things that I wish I had known before I left. A few things to consider:

When I went you could put multiple guns on one permit. I believe it was $50 for the permit. I wish I had taken a 22 to shoot grouse with.

Don't make small talk when doing your paperwork at Canadian customs or immigration. The guy I had for immigration was anti hunting and anti American. It was a real pain in the a$$. I sat there and waited until he got off shift to do my gun permit.

Some things are a lot more expensive in Canada- booze, tobacco and groceries for starters. Take what you can with you.

Have fun!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've crossed the border at least 7 times with guns and never had any issues with the Canadian side. Only issue I've had was getting an anti-hunting bitch on the US side who made it difficult bring my meat across. Several of the US agents came up to me in her presence and apologized for her. Every other time it has been a good experience. The Canadians always seem to be more worried about how much beer I have than my guns.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hope you have a great trip. A moose hunt in BC isa great adventure plus a lot of great eating if you are successful. Our dollar is 30% less than yours so you might want to buy booze etc up here and save a few bucks.

Good luck.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I've crossed the border at least 7 times with guns and never had any issues with the Canadian side. Only issue I've had was getting an anti-hunting bitch on the US side who made it difficult bring my meat across. Several of the US agents came up to me in her presence and apologized for her. Every other time it has been a good experience. The Canadians always seem to be more worried about how much beer I have than my guns.

I didn't have an problems getting my rifle across- my problems were just getting through immigration BEFORE I could even process my gun permit. The guy was a total jerk. Didn't have any problems with the US side- just showed the guy my DOJ creds and he waved me through!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I wanted to update you guys, I had a change of plans with the outfitter and type of hunt I was looking for, so I have officially decided on Gunson Outfitters - Jake Gunson, in the northern BC/YUKON border area. Deposit and Contract went out in the mail today. Felt that this offered a little bit more of the true rugged adventure I was wanting and a better chance a true large 50+" moose. It is a 10 day horseback hunt Sept 15-24. 1x1 hunt that will put me and my guide out in the wilderness alone for 10 days. I will also have wolf tag in my pocket just in case - Gunson doesn't charge any harvest fee on a wolf.

I posted another post in here with a preliminary gear list/thoughts - please feel free to chime in on that as I am open to suggestions. This hunt when its all said and done is a major financial outlay for me and I want it to go as good as possible.

The only thing I am not looking forward to is the drive. LOL.
Its another 6-7 hours north of Prince George.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a great post. I am learning through it instead of starting my own post, as I will be just 65 miles southeast of you in Toad River with Stone Mountain Safaris. I will be hunting the same time as you, for Moose with Wolf and Bear tags in my pocket.

My questions: i am driving from Lolo, MT. Plan to take three large coolers, and enough gear to camp on the way up if necessary.

If you are driving, maybe we could coordinate and follow each other up?

Very cool. I am super stoked, as I am sure you are as well.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Beautiful country up in north BC

Did a moose bear hunt up in that area and had a great time

Did some steelhead fishing on way home

Bring good rain gear and quality clothes. I prefert wool

It rained hard most days on hunt and had issues with scope fogging

I brout up my fox pro predator call for wolves. It was legal when I went up there

Looking forward to reports

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
good luck with the hunt, i always wanted to hunt in Canada but the hassle and expenses are not looking good.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by shortside
This is a great post. I am learning through it instead of starting my own post, as I will be just 65 miles southeast of you in Toad River with Stone Mountain Safaris. I will be hunting the same time as you, for Moose with Wolf and Bear tags in my pocket.

My questions: i am driving from Lolo, MT. Plan to take three large coolers, and enough gear to camp on the way up if necessary.

If you are driving, maybe we could coordinate and follow each other up?

Very cool. I am super stoked, as I am sure you are as well.

I had a great trip in 2008 with Stone Mountain Safaris. I took moose and elk and was one point short on a mountain caribou. Whilst I had tags, I did not see a wolf or a black bear but did see a few grizzlies.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I wanted to update you guys, I had a change of plans with the outfitter and type of hunt I was looking for, so I have officially decided on Gunson Outfitters - Jake Gunson, in the northern BC/YUKON border area. Deposit and Contract went out in the mail today. Felt that this offered a little bit more of the true rugged adventure I was wanting and a better chance a true large 50+" moose. It is a 10 day horseback hunt Sept 15-24. 1x1 hunt that will put me and my guide out in the wilderness alone for 10 days. I will also have wolf tag in my pocket just in case - Gunson doesn't charge any harvest fee on a wolf.

I posted another post in here with a preliminary gear list/thoughts - please feel free to chime in on that as I am open to suggestions. This hunt when its all said and done is a major financial outlay for me and I want it to go as good as possible.

The only thing I am not looking forward to is the drive. LOL.
Its another 6-7 hours north of Prince George.

I think you made a good decision to go further north for better chances at a large bull moose!! We live just outside of Prince George and we head up 3 or 4 hours to set up our moose camps. Good luck.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I agree you made a good decision going further north. Bigger bulls and better wilderness experience for sure.

Drive from prince George will be longer than 6 or 7 hours tho. I live in Fort St. John which is about 5 hrs north of Prince George. Depending how close your hunting iarea is to the Yukon border it may take another full day. Yukon border close to 600 miles north of Fort St. John. BC is a big place. Good luck

Last edited by Tuchodi; 05/19/17.
P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Please Note:

If you are thinking of bringing a handgun across, you might want to rethink that as handguns are not permitted to be taken into the country unless possibly for specific competitions. A few
Americans run into problems with this every year and this is one of the first questions asked by Canada Customs of U.S. citizens, especially if you are thinking of going hunting up here.

Good luck and I hope you get your moose. I am a B.C. resident and just put in for a limited entry draw the other day for my moose.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.