Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I know I am 8 months out, but this is a big trip for me and I like to plan so I wanted to get your guys feedback on my anticipated gear list. The list below is the general list the outfitter sent me and next to it is the specific I item I plan on taking. There are a few items I am not decided on yet and would love suggestions for those items particularly.

Also, and maybe more importantly, the hunt has changed a bit, at the last second before mailing my deposit, I decided to go with another outfit - Gunson Outfitting, which is on the far Northern BC/Yukon border. This is more of a true "trophy" hunt with better chance at a 50+" moose. It is also a Horseback Hunt that will put me in the remote wilderness for 10 days.

Rifle - Custom Winchester 70 Classic 338 win mag, Zeiss HD5 2-10X42
Ammo - Handloads - 250gr. Nosler Partitions, 40 rounds
Binoculars - 10x42 Leica Geovid HD
Knife - Cabelas Fixed Blade Alaskan Guide, and Havalon for caping
GPS - Garmin 650, not required but I always take into the woods
Camera - Iphone
Day Pack - KUIU 3200"
Water Bottle (Purified) - NOT SURE???
Head Lamps - Cabelas
10 degree sleeping bag - Not SURE???
Sleeping Pad - Cabelas Instict - insulated
Rain Gear - KUIU Teton, Pants/Jacket
Boots - Meindel Denali
Socks - Merino Wool
Clothes - KUIU Teton Full Layering System, merino wool underwear
Gloves - kuiu merino 210

Mosquito Repellent, personal care items, and possibly a lightweight tripod to mount optics on.

All my gear including my rifle has to be 50 pounds or under.

GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
hello,

- are you using an horse for the whole trip?

if so i wont bother at all with that with lightweight rain gear.

- will you bring your knives to help or for a gift.

- take a pair of crock or the kind of sleepers.

- what time are you in?

Phil

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I know its a guided hunt, but I am a hunter, not an observer and when something goes down, especially that I shot, I am going be in there helping skin, quarter, boneout, ect. Also, I spent a couple years at a taxidermy shop - I will be caping out the moose if at all possible.

I currently own that KUIU rain gear and used it all last year in elk and deer season and it was awesome.

The hunt is Sept 15-24. I will actually be meeting them up there on the 22nd. and there going to let me ride in early and help setup camp. Sounds crazy, but I love setting up camps and helping with prep before the hunt. Been told this is the prime rut time to hunt.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
good to know about your hands. pretty sure the staff will love it ...

prime time for moose hunting dependding on a lot of factors.

if you rain gear worked with horse huntings why not, otherwise i will check with your outfitter what they are using or even the references from previous hunters that you talked before booking.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Take somegold bond powder and handy wipes. Make sure you wear loose fitting pants and long johns for horseback riding. Tight pants will rub you raw. Take a pair of camp shoes and a book to read in case you get weathered in camp. Also take a headlamp for those nights you get back to camp late or if you have to stop on the trail in the dark.

I am sure your guide will be happy to sit back and let you cape your moose out. You will soon find out why. Lol. Good luck

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Be sure to take a good camera, you will see some beautiful scenery!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tuchodi
Take somegold bond powder and handy wipes. Make sure you wear loose fitting pants and long johns for horseback riding. Tight pants will rub you raw. Take a pair of camp shoes and a book to read in case you get weathered in camp. Also take a headlamp for those nights you get back to camp late or if you have to stop on the trail in the dark.

I am sure your guide will be happy to sit back and let you cape your moose out. You will soon find out why. Lol. Good luck

I don't get this about LOL.. I do moose all by myself when I"m lucky so far. Its NOT a big deal. Never bothered me in the least. Though some folks have an aversion to work.

I"m like the poster though, If I ever pay for a guided hunt you can bet I"m still doing as much as I can and as much as they let me.... in fact it will be some of the questions before I'd book...

And I can cape better than most guides can anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A better camera than the iphone.. Its let me down at the worst times.. once while I watched two good bulls fight it out about 40 yards away and it would not video...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
C
I'm betting you will get a 60+ bull! Have fun. Nasty bears in that part of the world. But then, that's the fun! Cheers

Last edited by cranky1; 02/02/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mole Skin is always with me. I have given it to others to use more than me. I think I used it once. Those hot spots on your feet are no fun.

Wish you luck on your hunt.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Has anyone brought up $$$$?
Keep Canada Green, take money.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Like most of us, I need to be smart with my money but I'm not skimping on gear when it comes to this hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hiaring8;
Good morning to you sir, I trust the first month of 2017 treated you acceptably well.

I'll begin with my standard advice to read through the stickied thread on the top here of "Planning a Hunt in Canada" as there's still a whole lot of pertinent information there.

If you have any specific medical issues that might require additional meds then have a couple talks with your doctor about taking along whatever might be needed to keep you healthy. As well, I've known a few folks who have been able to bring a broad based antibiotic on fly in hunts and in one case it was very good planning that they did so. Just a thought there.

The outfitter might have a "Spot" type device and might rely on radio phone or satellite phone. Either way if you want to be a belt and suspenders sort of person a Spot wouldn't weigh that much and if it makes you feel better then it'll be worth it.

At work, home and local hunts in our neck of the BC mountains I have a minimum of two pairs of gloves with me at all times. Again there's no appreciable weight and when you need them they're mighty nice to have a second dry pair. Same goes for dry socks.

I think we cover this in the hunt planning thread, but if you haven't been on a horse in forever, then now is the time to start riding as much as you can. Only time in the saddle will tell you for sure if your preference is tight or loose fitting clothing.

Personally I wear tight fitting jeans, moose hide short chaps and sorry for oversharing but very tight briefs as well before I get on any horse. We had horses for 17 years and I spent hours on them on the local mountains both hunting and chasing cows for a rancher friend. Lets just say that a two hour flatland trail ride and 6-8 hours slugging it out in tough country aren't remotely similar experiences.... wink

Spare batteries for the camera if you aren't using your phone. If you're using a phone for that, then a way to charge it.

I like a silk bandanna for a multitude of reasons whenever I'm in the mountains unless it's full summer and 100° up top.

A wool or wool blend stalking cap is always in my pack, with spares in the pickup as well, but then I've sported a Telly Savalas hairdo for decades now.

That's about it for now off the top of my hairless dome for now sir. If you think I can be of any help then by all means send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer any questions or point you towards one if I'm able.

Good luck on your year until the hunt and then of course on the hunt itself.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Can anyone recommend a top notch 0 degree bag that wont break the bank. Obviously needs to be a down bag and mummy style. Since we are on horses, I would imagine it doesn't have to be the lightest one out there, but there is still a weight limit. My budget for a bag is hopefully around $250 - maybe a touch more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I know its a guided hunt, but I am a hunter, not an observer and when something goes down, especially that I shot, I am going be in there helping skin, quarter, boneout, ect. Also, I spent a couple years at a taxidermy shop - I will be caping out the moose if at all possible.

I currently own that KUIU rain gear and used it all last year in elk and deer season and it was awesome.

The hunt is Sept 15-24. I will actually be meeting them up there on the 22nd. and there going to let me ride in early and help setup camp. Sounds crazy, but I love setting up camps and helping with prep before the hunt. Been told this is the prime rut time to hunt.

Be prepared to do some of the finishing work on your hide. I've done several guided hunts, and have had to take over twice due to poor work by the guide. Most though have done a great job.

If you are driving, take extra gear, even if you think you don't need it. Things may change by the time you get there and you may need it. I've needed things I didn't think I would. Had a mnt goat hunt that the guide forgot his spotting scope. Glad I had mine. Horseback hunt turned into a backpack hunt, etc.

Mostly, have good optics, good boots, and warm clothes.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would definitely take a spare riflescope, because anything can happen on a horseback hunt, and the most likely part of a rifle to get damaged is the scope. I've had a spare come in handy on several hunts in various places over the years.

Ideally it would already be in the same mounts as your Zeiss, and also sighted-in at home so it could switched out quickly, and not need too many of your 40 rounds to be check-fired. But just a scope will work too, though it means taking the right screwdrivers for the mounts, and more rounds to make sure it can be zeroed correctly. I'd take another box. A fixed 4x isn't considered ideal by most of today's hunters, but will definitely do for moose and doesn't take up much room.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would definitely take a spare riflescope, because anything can happen on a horseback hunt, and the most likely part of a rifle to get damaged is the scope. I've had a spare come in handy on several hunts in various places over the years.

Ideally it would already be in the same mounts as your Zeiss, and also sighted-in at home so it could switched out quickly, and not need too many of your 40 rounds to be check-fired. But just a scope will work too, though it means taking the right screwdrivers for the mounts, and more rounds to make sure it can be zeroed correctly. I'd take another box. A fixed 4x isn't considered ideal by most of today's hunters, but will definitely do for moose and doesn't take up much room.

I have gone back and forth on this as my one prior experience with Talley detachables was not great. But even though its a German Zeiss - scopes do fail. I have a well worn, but trusty and repeatable Burris FF2 3-9x (Made in USA model) that I think I am going to take, with an allen wrench, for just in case scenario. This should only add just less than 1 pound to my gear.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm curious. What problems did you run into with Talley detachables? They're one of my first choices for such a job.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm curious. What problems did you run into with Talley detachables? They're one of my first choices for such a job.

I had a Model 70 375 that I tried them on. I had 3-9x40 burris that held zero fine on the rifle, so I decided to try out the talleys with a 1-4x leupold and the burris(thought process of a longer range option and more of a dangerous game up close option with two scopes) When I would switch to the 1-4x it grouped fine but would be 6-8" higher point of aim. Tried different ammo it would always be that far high on elevation.

In full disclosure, I didn't play with it two long, sold the 1-4x and just put the burris back on it. I could have done something wrong - don't thinks so, but just wasn't going to put more time and ammo into it trying to figure it out than I already had.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your list isn't bad, at that time of year things could get cold, I'd look for a box foot/mummy bag in a -20C model. Look for one with a fleece type liner. IF you are too warm, you can always open it up, but if you are too cold well you freeze. You should be able to find one under 5 lbs

It can also be warmer, which can bring out the bugs. Bring along a mosquito heat net and a Thermacell

http://www.thermacell.com/products/mosquito-repellents/mosquito-repeller-accessories

the best bug deterrent I've ever found.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.