24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DD Lows did not work for me. Warne bases and low rings worked perfect. I had to grind a little on the bottom of the objective BC cap but it fits good. Lugs been bedded, trigger adjusted, got some 155 Scenars loaded up , headed to the range tomorrow and see what she does.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maxima lows on Warne bases worked for me. I had the scope moved a bit more forward though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's my setup...

Running a set of Warne bases. I had a gunsmith buddy open the crossslot up so I could use a true picatinny ring. Running ARC extra low rings. Scope height is perfect. Eye aligns perfect for me, no need for any stock pack or cheek risers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Oh, the 8400... Thanks.

So after a bit of scope slippage in the Signature Zee rings, I decided to swap them out on the 84m 7-08 for some XTR Sigs, as well.

The same fitment occurred on the 84m as on the 8400. This set of rings was ordered a week ago, so they are very recent manufacture, I assume. The lug is offset, just like the rings on the 8400. With both the 84m and the 8400 the rear ring has to be oriented into the action, or else it interferes with the operation of the bolt if I flip it around and favour the rear of the base with the ring. I'm very curious about the lugs in your rings, now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can't believe you guys put such heavy scopes on such light rifles....Grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jordan can you pull the lug on the rear ring, I do that on PRW rings if they don't fit right, a lug on the front one is plenty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jordan,

I recently got a set of Sig XTR rings, 30mm medium (lowest they offer). The lugs are offset on mine as well. Handy to be able to flip the rings around, along with the clamp if desired.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mean to be that guy but those big ass 6 hole tactical mounts look like chit. To take a super light svelt rifle and compromise a little on weight with a heavyish scope is one thing but those bulky mounts really look look ackward as hell, especially in the same view as a skeletonized bolt to shave weight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No worries. I'm more about having functional rifles, than drooling over the looks of a safe queen. As I mentioned above, I had a bit of slippage in the 30mm Signature Zee's, and a "heavyish scope" requires mounts that can handle the inertia of said scope on a light rifle with fast recoil. Sure, the setup isn't going to win any beauty contests, but having peace-of-mind that my rifle is dead-nutz, rock solid reliable, as I sit on the peak of a sheep mountain planning a stalk on a ram, is more important to me than beauty pageants. I've just had too many scope/mount setups fail on me to think otherwise. To have a bullet-proof rifle/scope/mount setup that is very capable of long shots if the need arises, and still weighs 6 lbs 10 oz all up, simply works for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Jordan can you pull the lug on the rear ring, I do that on PRW rings if they don't fit right, a lug on the front one is plenty.

That'd be nice, but the lug is machined into the ring.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ARCs I'm running are narrower and fit perfect on that back ring. My rifle is finally what I consider "perfect". Next time I mess with it will be to replace the barrel when it's shot.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by clark98ut
...My rifle is finally what I consider "perfect". Next time I mess with it will be to replace the barrel when it's shot.

Famous last words?!?! whistle

Have said it many times myself... wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Not in love with the rear base setup, though it's plenty strong. This is a set of Warne Maxima's that I filed to fit the picatinny lugs on the XTR rings, though the lug is offset in the rings, so the centered slot in the rear base throws the ring off center. I wish Burris made an XTR base for the Kimber 8400 and 84.

Hey Jordan, in general are the XTR bases as low as the Warnes? I ask because looking for some low bases for a Win M70.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure. I haven't played much with the XTR bases, though I would if they came out with Kimber models! They look fairly low, judging by the pictures I've seen.

T
TWR Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those Warne rings and bases look great and just say Kimber.

I am still using the Talley light weights but the 22-250AI is the heaviest kicking Montana I have so I think I'll be ok.

After killing a few critters with the 3-9 MQ both early and late in the day, I really do like the combo. A buddy of mine picked it up and said "you know, you can get away with mounting a heavy scope on a light rifle, it's still lighter than a regular gun."

Find me a scope that does what this one does and weighs 12 oz. and I'll buy it. But until then, I'm gonna just kill stuff.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Unertl....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Guys using the warne bases might consider the TPS HRT rings. They're aluminum, look better than the Burris XTR, have the slot centered & fit the weaver grooves without filing open the slots.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got lotsa TPS and it all sucks. Aluminum and steel both. Hint.

Though I do enjoy how folks who don't shoot,fret "looks" on the stuff they don't have and don't use. Laffin'!

The 'Horn ring's attributes are copious mount/scope interface and glorious inclination. Fact being,nothing else even comes fhuqking close. Hint.

[Linked Image]

I hear through The Grapevine,that they'll even cough up 30+ Mils remaining on a Krunchenticker's erector. Yes...I realize you dumbfhuqks will haveta' Google it.

Nuttin' hangs with the 'Horn's,just sayin' and pardon my having it all.

I like 1" Meopta's on my Montuckys.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And my Anschutzeseses.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'!

XTR bases.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1000 BEAUTIFUL Fhuqking Words

RINK To Enlightenment

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
[Linked Image]

20MOA rail and NF LW Mediums. I did not like the other options I tried.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should look into hawkins precision. They make a talley style ring with 25 mins built in and offer a level in the rear ring. Weight is 3oz and cost is +/- $125.00

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 75 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.