Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by 4ager
Here's a story from when I was employed as hazardous waste inspector. I had an inspection in a crime-ridden area of Newburgh (a murder rate higher than NYC). While inspecting this small company, the guy looking for some paperwork opened a desk drawer and inside I recognized a Ruger 10/22 that had the barrel and stock illegally cut down to pistol size. I pretended I didn't see it and later called the Newburgh PD to report the illegal gun. I was told, "In that part of the city, you would be crazy not to have a gun." Upon seeing that illegal gun, I didn't confiscate it, out of fear for my safety, or run out of the place screaming. Hell, that gun was probably the safest thing I encountered in that sheet hole. Many violations were cited.

Well, hurray. That has ... hmmm... exactly nothing to do with anything, and certainly not the 4A or the law. Read the link provided. Read Terry v Ohio.

Of course, you MAY have inadvertently stumbled upon a concept of "totality of circumstances" as it relates to a cop in NM dealing with a felon working in a low-end convenience store in a schithole part of town, but you would not catch on even if we drew you a picture.

It has to do with encountering potentially dangerous situations and how one chooses to handle that situation. Just because a job has dangers doesn't mean another's rights should be infringed.

The rest of that story is that about 10 years after that encounter with the guy with the illegal gun in his desk, he was at his second home in Jamaica, lounging around his pool, when two guys walked up to him and shot him dead and walked away. The killers were never caught and it was assumed to be a mob hit.

The suspect in the OP had no right to possess a firearm, there fore his rights were not violated, neither his 2a (since he legally forfeited them once convicted of a previous felony) nor his 4a that has been pointed out why and which cases support the constitutionality of temporary seizures, to which, thus far you have obviously failed to read the provided link

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And what was the LEO's reasonable suspicion of a crime in this case? Is it the just fact that he had a gun? Is that all that's needed?

Like it or not the answer to your question is a resounding YES that is all the officer needed.

The officers were called to the store on a report of 2 individuals handling weapons inside a convenience store. Upon arrival the police witnessed the individual bend over exposing a gun in his pants.

If you read the case or the appeal you would already know that concealed carry of a weapon is expressly ILLEGAL by the state statute. Possession of a ccw permit doesn't change the law, its only an admissible and affirmitative defense to noncompliance.

This same exemption holds true in most states with a CCW law.

So yes dumbass witnessing the guy carrying a concealed gun absolutely is enough to detain and disarm him under Terry laws and the 4th Amendment. Had you bothered to read the appeals result you would know that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The LEO still should be able to verbalize the crime that he thinks is being committed or is about to be committed. If the clerk had been carrying, and, brandishing, or threatening, or acting aggressively then I could understand the LEO actions.

Jesus Christ read the link before talking out of your ass.
1. The LEO's did verbalized the crime they felt was being committed (carrying concealed which is illegal in that state).
2. The clerk and his jackhole buddy did brandish their weapons. The police didn't wander into the store for no reason, they were there re: a 911 call of 2 guys playing with Guns.
3. When Leo entered the suspect was bent over stocking shelves and they personally witnessed the weapon (again ccw is illegal in that state) so they knew he was armed.
4. As the suspect pushed the door open to exit his shirt again rose up uncovering the gun at which time the officer simply grabbed it.

For the last time CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON IS ILLEGAL IN NEW MEXICO!

All legal under Terry and the 4th amendment. Feel free to post more bullshit about things you have no idea about.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why does everyone assume I didn't read the decision. I read it, I just don't agree with it.

In NY and CT "assault weapons" are illegal to buy or sell and to possess unless they were previously purchased and registered, and, magazine capacity are restricted to 10 rounds max. The SAFE Act was upheld in a lower court ruling and the US Supreme Court refused to hear the case. So, if you are implying court decisions are gospel, correct, and one can't disagree with them, then you all should embrace the "fact" (in quotes because I don't believe that the following is a fact or correct) that the 2nd Amendment doesn't protect "assault weapons" and large cap magazines.

I think the courts got both decision's wrong. Get it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why does everyone assume I didn't read the decision. I read it, I just don't agree with it.

In NY and CT "assault weapons" are illegal to buy or sell and to possess unless they were previously purchased and registered, and, magazine capacity are restricted to 10 rounds max. The SAFE Act was upheld in a lower court ruling and the US Supreme Court refused to hear the case. So, if you are implying court decisions are gospel, correct, and one can't disagree with them, then you all should embrace the "fact" (in quotes because I don't believe that the following is a fact or correct) that the 2nd Amendment doesn't protect "assault weapons" and large cap magazines.

If you read, and understood, the case you'd not be making so many irrelevant comparisons or overlooking the "totality of the circumstances".

Since the 2A cases on those are NOT settled law (I.e., no SCOTUS rulings and certainly no well established precedent), there is no comparison between them and the 4A "Terry" line of case law.

Of course, you'll never "get" that, either.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

TRH . . . I'm assuming the cop was white and your uncle is/was a white man?
Of course.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Dude, it was an original Ruger Charger ... but without the bipod (as usual).

wink

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MagMarc
he really is the Second Ammendments friend.
I thought that was hypocritical of him, too, but I guess he could have changed his views since then.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

we assume you didn't read it because you continue to ask questions that were clearly laid out with both answers and explanations of how those answers came about. we assume you didn't read it because you continue to bring up 2a arguments that are non existance in regards to the OP case, especially when it clearly states the 2a was not in question during this incident

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"For the last time CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON IS ILLEGAL IN NEW MEXICO!"

Except if one has a CC permit (I really don't care how it is worded, if he had a CC permit there would be no crime and the LEO did not know that he did not have a CC when he seized the firearm).

As for brandishing, it is usually more than just showing an interested person your firearm. If that was the case I've committed brandishing thousands of times. While laws may very from State to State and I could not find NM's definition of brandishing, I did find this:

"{Very generally, however, for an operating definition “brandishing” means to display, show, wave, or exhibit the firearm in a manner which another person might find threatening. You can see how widely and differently this can be subjectively interpreted by different “reasonable” individuals and entities}".

Usually brandishing implies or requires it to be displayed in some level of a threatening manner.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Except if one has a CC permit (I really don't care how it is worded, if he had a CC permit there would be no crime and the LEO did not know that he did not have a CC when he seized the firearm).

As for brandishing, it is usually more than just showing an interested person your firearm. If that was the case I've committed brandishing thousands of times. While laws may very from State to State and I could not find NM's definition of brandishing, I did find this:

"{Very generally, however, for an operating definition “brandishing” means to display, show, wave, or exhibit the firearm in a manner which another person might find threatening. You can see how widely and differently this can be subjectively interpreted by different “reasonable” individuals and entities}".

Usually brandishing implies or requires it to be displayed in some level of a threatening manner.

so in your mind it's perfectly normal for two guys to be holding guns in a convince store?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

wink

[Linked Image]

Uh, Dude, I have a 10/22 rifle and know the difference between a Charger and a cut-down rifle. Dude! Most people don't wrap duct tape around the pistol grip area of a Charger. Besides, the Charger was introduced in 2008 and the incident happened in the mid-90s. Dude.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

wink

[Linked Image]

Uh, Dude, I have a 10/22 rifle and know the difference between a Charger and a cut-down rifle. Dude! Most people don't wrap duct tape around the pistol grip area of a Charger. Besides, the Charger was introduced in 2008 and the incident happened in the mid-90s. Dude.

Whoosh, right over your head. It was a reference to something unrelated to this thread; you don't and won't get it.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I believed you. I just wanted to show the Charger since it was mentioned. Why'd you call the cops on the guy for having a gun that violated an unconstitutional law, though?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I believed you. I just wanted to show the Charger since it was mentioned. Why'd you call the cops on the guy for having a gun that violated an unconstitutional law, though?

He's going to be WAY to confused to realize that he's hoisted on his own petard. Well played.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Do you understand that under NM LAW having a concealed weapons permit is merely an affirmative defense to the crime, the same as carrying in one's owned property or vehicle, thus the mere observation of the concealed gun was REASONABLE SUSPICION OF A CRIME. upon asserts in ingredients that the defendant did not have a permit, nor was it his property, it became PROBABLE CAUSE for an arrest...is it sinking in yet?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Do you understand that under NM LAW having a concealed weapons permit is merely an affirmative defense to the crime, the same as carrying in one's owned property or vehicle, thus the mere observation of the concealed gun was REASONABLE SUSPICION OF A CRIME. upon asserts in ingredients that the defendant did not have a permit, nor was it his property, it became PROBABLE CAUSE for an arrest...is it sinking in yet?

You know, those points you just made and that have been made several times before are rather readily apparent to anyone who actually read - and understood - the case in the link provided many times over.

Which is part of what is making this thread so damned hilarious at this point.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by gitem_12

so in your mind it's perfectly normal for two guys to be holding guns in a convince store?

These days I have no fuggin' idea what is considered normal anymore. I had a classmate who was given permission to bring a 1851 .36 cal. revolver to high school to show our history class studying the civil war what type of firearms were used. No one raised an eye then, now, he and the teacher would be arrested. Where I live, in rural NY, a couple store clerks showing each other their CC pistols wouldn't raise my eyebrows at all, so long as they were not pointing it at me. I can't speak for other people though, but in my mind, yup, perfectly normal. Last year I saw 3 teen-aged boys walking down the streets through the next town over with uncased rifles. I thought, "They're going hunting."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

As a public official on official business, if it became known that I had seen it and knew it was illegal and didn't do anything about it, it could have had consequences. Besides, this was not a good guy, hence, him being rubbed out.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

These days I have no fuggin' idea what is considered normal anymore. I had a classmate who was given permission to bring a 1851 .36 cal. revolver to high school to show our history class studying the civil war what type of firearms were used. No one raised an eye then, now, he and the teacher would be arrested. Where I live, in rural NY, a couple store clerks showing each other their CC pistols wouldn't raise my eyebrows at all, so long as they were not pointing it at me. I can't speak for other people though, but in my mind, yup, perfectly normal. Last year I saw 3 teen-aged boys walking down the streets through the next town over with uncased rifles. I thought, "They're going hunting."

Buy a clue.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 80 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,688
Posts18,456,480
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.