Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tico Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looking for a new shotgun and i have my eyes on those two. Looking for a 3.5 12 gauge have the 20 covered.

Which one gets your juices flowing or should i look at something different? Needs to be something i can get in camo.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That comes down to gas vs. inertia. I'd pick the inertia. The SBE3 is a VERY nice shotgun, but costs a lot more than a SX4.

The SX4 is hard to see any gain over the 3, so if going that way I'd just get a closeout SX3.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I prefer a gas gun by a mile and would highly recommend the SX4, or a left over SX3. We hunter's waterfowl, in 14 degree temps this year, and the only issues were with the Inertia guns. That said, I am quite aware that a lot of folks have great success with the inertia guns.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Id go with an inertia gun Myself, less fuss when it comes to cleaning and durable as hell......I think I like the Franchi/Stoeger system better though with spring in the forend, they seem a little easier to maintain......Good luck....Hb

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Id go with an inertia gun Myself, less fuss when it comes to cleaning and durable as hell......I think I like the Franchi/Stoeger system better though with spring in the forend, they seem a little easier to maintain......Good luck....Hb

I own a Benelli. what does "maintain" mean

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned a SBE I and a half dozen SBE 2's, the recoil spring in the stock is more involved to get to and keep oiled as you should if the gun is used in a wet duck hunting environment, it also needs to be changed every year or two if you shoot a lot and it is a PITA to swap out...........Not a big deal but the Franchi system is easier to service........Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tico, why do you need a 3.5"? If it's just because you want it, well, ok. But, for waterfowl, do you really need a 3.5"? Probably not. 3" been knocking them out of the sky for a looong time. Look at the Remington V3[camo]. For about $700.00 +/-, you're getting a damn good SG.
Just my opinion.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Why not get a 3.5" shotgun? He can shoot any length shell he wants, A 3.5" shotgun gives you the option........a 3" gun is always a 3" gun ........Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Va H, this is very true. As I mentioned, just MY opinion.
3.5" kick pretty good in an enertia gun and really doesn't kill any better than a 3" 12ga. Seems waterfowlers have been doing fine with 3", but, we all know marketing, right?
Gotta have the newest and "best" thing going. Remember here, my opinion only. And I respect your's.

T
Tico Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I dont really need a 3.5 just want the option of being able to use it if i ever feel the need. I will look at the Remington. I had a 1187 and although i liked it it sure did feel heavy. I
Just sold my sbe2 so am looking for a new 12ga. The sx4 and sbe3 are just the two that have caught my eye. I will probably be in nashville in a few weeks at the nwtf convention and will make up my mind then as im sure all the big boys will be there showing of their stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let us know what you see and find out. Having the option of 3.5" ain't a bad thing at all. So, you'll get it figured out. Either way, you'll have the SG you want/need.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah, lots of great choices in shotguns these days........enjoy Nashville and let us know what you decide.....Good luck......Hb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to run seaduck charters a lot off Kodiak. The daily limit was 40 seaducks and 10 of the ordinary ducks (heavy to Barrow's and common goldeheye, bufflehead, and mallard.)

Seaducks die a lot harder than puddlers... a fellow from Hawaii showed up with a couple cases of 2 3/4 Federal Classic ammo in 2s and 4s. He proceeded to kill more ducks outright dead at greater lengths than I ever thought possible.

His birds per box of shells count was better than I have ever seen, with no close second. He was shooting a Browning BPS 12. He hated it because he "could not shoot it very well" and the recoil was "brutal!"

Made me realize it was all about pointing the frigging gun in the right direction.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh yeah, the limits on Kodiak are a small fraction of the good old days...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My understanding from people I trust is the SBE III was a step forward and the SX4 was a step back. So OP, I'd choose between the Benelli and a SX3. Buy the one that seems to fit best and feels the most comfortable to you. I'd like to own a Benelli but they flat out don't fit me. I've tried a SBE II and a Vinci and can't shoot them well. I shoot the SX3 well so I have several.

After going through a number of shotguns over the years I know what stock dimensions fit and as such, don't stray from them. If I needed a new shotgun I'd get a V3, I know it will fit but a new shotgun is the last thing I need. My favorite of the ones I own is my FABARM L4S. Even though it's my favorite there is no way I'd recommend it to you because it may not fit you. Shims are great, I use them but they can only do so much.

I seriously doubt your mileage will vary.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
D
D
I have had a Browning Maxus for 7 years. I duck hunt more than 45 days a season, from puddle ducks in swamps, late season divers on big lakes, to sea ducks in salt water. In addition to waterfowl hunting, I use it frequently in the off season for skeet and sporting clays with light target loads in the off season. It has never let me down. Not once has it failed to shoot and cycle the action, no matter how dirty it has been or how cold it was out.

That being said, I would go with the SX4, which is pretty close to being identical to the maxus as far as the gas system goes.

I know several people with inertia guns that have frequent issues with jamming, especially in colder temps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have to shoulder them and see what fits you best. I did that a couple years ago and ended up with a SX3.

No issues so far with 4 flats of trap loads and 2 flats of Fasteel.

YMMV.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by cdb
My understanding from people I trust is the SBE III was a step forward and the SX4 was a step back. So OP, I'd choose between the Benelli and a SX3. Buy the one that seems to fit best and feels the most comfortable to you. I'd like to own a Benelli but they flat out don't fit me. I've tried a SBE II and a Vinci and can't shoot them well. I shoot the SX3 well so I have several.

After going through a number of shotguns over the years I know what stock dimensions fit and as such, don't stray from them. If I needed a new shotgun I'd get a V3, I know it will fit but a new shotgun is the last thing I need. My favorite of the ones I own is my FABARM L4S. Even though it's my favorite there is no way I'd recommend it to you because it may not fit you. Shims are great, I use them but they can only do so much.

I seriously doubt your mileage will vary.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

How is the SX4 a step back?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Haven't handled a SX4 but have owned and shot most other semi models and brands. My favorite now is the SX3. I've owned some Benellis and most of them have malfunctioned at some point, or won't cycle light loads, or something. I know guys who love theirs.

B
B
I'm a Beretta guy, but if I had to chose between the two, I think it's SBE 3 hands down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.