Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
🍿

Pass me some please.

While you're eating some take a look at this. Trystan has come so far in under 4 months...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11512294/Think_I'll_give_it_a_go!_Advic#Post11512294

Some guy on Facebook said he killed an 808lb cow elk dressed, then couldn't find the pictures of it..

Same guy?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Come on everyone knows those are the cows that had a yearling behind them and they were included in the shot too.

I can hit the 500 yard 16" steel at 6x on a calm day from a hunting style rest but sub 2" isn't in the cards for me there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I for one am not going to challenge the integrity or veracity of someone until it is proved otherwise that what they say is false. I don't know how we do that. I do know that I consider myself a good shot and, though my equipment may be capable, I am completely incapable of such accuracy. I will only go so far as to say that that is some extremely good shooting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
🍿

Pass me some please.

While you're eating some take a look at this. Trystan has come so far in under 4 months...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11512294/Think_I'll_give_it_a_go!_Advic#Post11512294

Huntsonora,

Do you really think that just because I asked a question and am new to "THIS" forum it means my last 43 years of hunting and shooting don't exist. Life sir!!! does not begin nor end with "24 hour campfire"

Perhaps you should read the "ENTIRE" thread "AGAIN" only more slowly. Maybe you will find the part where I mention my useing hornady and berger bullets for many years interesting

Asking questions is smart. Making assumptions is unintelligent at best.

Tristan is new to "24 hour campfire" and asked a question about a rifle for shooting antelope therefore his 43 years before 24 hour campfire don't exist.

Give me a break. The pathetically ridiculous assuming around this place is at an all time high. Certainly not the kind of folks "Ive" been around for a lifetime that "doesn't exist" because it wasn't lived on an internet forum

An intelligent person could settle this debate with a simple....I'm willing to take the time if your willing to show me.

Enjoy your popcorn 😉

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 02/03/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Trystan
🍿

Pass me some please.

Huntsonora,

Do you really think that just because I asked a question and am new to "THIS" forum it means my last 43 years of hunting and shooting don't exist. Life sir!!! does not begin nor end with "24 hour campfire"

Perhaps you should read the "ENTIRE" thread "AGAIN" only more slowly. Maybe you will find the part where I mention my useing hornady and berger bullets for many years interesting

Asking questions is smart. Making assumptions is unintelligent at best.

Tristan is new to "24 hour campfire" and asked a question about a rifle for shooting antelope therefore his 43 years before 24 hour campfire don't exist.

Give me a break. The pathetically ridiculous assuming around this place is at an all time high. Certainly not the kind of folks "Ive" been around for a lifetime that "doesn't exist" because it wasn't lived on an internet forum

Enjoy your popcorn 😉

Trystan

So, is it Trystan or Tristan or Trithtan or Take a Knee?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm not "assuming" anything.... I'm straight up calling Bull Schitt.

How the Phuuk do you know the rediculoisness is at an all time high... you've been here five minutes. This place can get WAY more pathetic and ridiculous... wait till 'flave shows up on this thread....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Ive shot so many sub 2" 500 yd groups with a stock tikka I've lost count. Mount a scope and go hunt

Trystan

I'd love to hear the details on the sweet Tikka "shooting system(s)" capable of those sub-1/2 MOA 500 yard groups....

Tikka 6.5X55 swede
SWFA fixed 6 MQ
Warn Steel 30mm rings
Lapua brass
Hornady 143 eld-x
47 gr. Reloader 17
CCI 200 primer

Ammo loaded to less than .001 run out
COAL 3.182
.005 off the lands

I'm thinking GregW has likely seen some of what I'm talking about

Good luck

Trystan

Too many sub 2" groups to count at 500.... with a 6x scope... on a sporter weight gun.... it's getting deep.

What's the first rule of holes?

If you really think a fixed 6 won't perform at the 500 yd line then you don't know what you think you don't know! I'm not even close to the first person to do this with a "sporter weight" rifle.

The rifle, scope, brass, bullet, etc combination will do it "IF" the shooter is capable.

The new hornady bullets IMO are some of the most accurate bullets I've ever used

I'm impressed! Apparently your not! Good for you!

Trystan

Tibbe?

Is that you?

David

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I believe I said.....I'm willing to show any who are willing to take the time

Nothing wrong with calling Bullschit for sure. Calling Bullschit and at the same time not accepting an open offer....

Doesn't make sense

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I, for one, would like to take you up on that if at all feasible, not to call B.S.; but, I would like to see that type of shooting. That would be cool. You aren't by any chance close to Billings or Butte or Helena are you? I frequent all three.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe I said.....I'm willing to show any who are willing to take the time

Nothing wrong with calling Bullschit for sure. Calling Bullschit and at the same time not accepting an open offer....

Doesn't make sense

Trystan

I'd love to see it too... hell, I'll settle for a picture or a YouTube vid....

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think we would all like to see it....

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Not me. I totally believe him....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
To bring this back to the question, I spent a couple of years attempting to build a long range rig with a Tikka with mixed results.

Mine was in 7 Mag and limited by the smaller OEM magazine size, shorter bbl and slower twist rate to throw the really heavy bullets that excel as long range shooters. It will shoot 140gr PTs in a .70MOA group on its worst day but is very erratic with anything heavier. My T3 was at the very end of the run prior to the T3x and was part of a group buy with co workers and those of us who got magnums have all found the same issues so it may have been a quality thing with that batch.

If I were to do another long range rig with a Tikka, I would definitely go the chassis route and see if I could find a longer GRS bbl on sale somewhere. People I have known to go that route are extremely pleased. For myself, I kind of got over the long range thing altogether.

87k Offline OP
OP Offline
Is everyone getting a little off course here? Haha

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Big Sky,

I'm in the Kalispell area. It would be a privilege to meet a fellow outdoorsman as you stated not to prove anything or call BS.

I hunt both Butte and Billings area

I'd much prefer to shoot groups in western Montana where the wind doesn't blow if possible 😀

I will be looking forward to meeting up and I wish you all the best in the meantime friend.

Trystan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I don't know when I will ever get up to Kalispell where the wind doesn't blow as much. I will have to settle for a video as recommended by Dogshooter above.

On another note and back on topic, as livefastjohnny stated above and quoted below, this is what I did on two Tikkas. They make for a very nice, stable, long range package.
Originally Posted by livefastjohnny
If I were to do another long range rig with a Tikka, I would definitely go the chassis route and see if I could find a longer GRS bbl on sale somewhere. People I have known to go that route are extremely pleased.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
bring beer, Flave

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A YouTube video it is then. I will post results in the near future. I will use 4 different rifles all in one session. I will conduct the test only once and if its a bad day so be it. I will simply title the thread "A day shooting at 500 yds" not intended as a pissing match or proving point. I will use a 223 tikka, a 270 tikka, a 6.5X55 tikka, and a Sako Finnbear. All 4 rifles completely factory with nothing more than trigger adjustment.

Popular request was for a YouTube video...I think I'd be a smuck if I didn't oblige.

Trystan

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 87k

Sorry....

A guy could do a lot worse than a factory Tikka CTR in a chassis if you're breaking into the long range stuff... even if it's PRS/SRM type match shooting. You can go CTR, Chassis, SS 3-15, and have some dough left over from your initial $2k.

If building from the ground-up, full-on custom, I'd start with a Rem 700 (or a clone) action of appropriate length and go from there....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 87k

Sorry....

A guy could do a lot worse than a factory Tikka CTR in a chassis if you're breaking into the long range stuff... even if it's PRS/SRM type match shooting. You can go CTR, Chassis, SS 3-15, and have some dough left over from your initial $2k.

If building from the ground-up, full-on custom, I'd start with a Rem 700 (or a clone) action of appropriate length and go from there....

Good advice here. I would look at Dave's site and see if he had any 700 actions in stock they are a great deal.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.