Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kellywk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I've never tried any type of competitive shooting but always thought the silloutte looks fun. Is there a hunting rifle type class where you use a standard center fire? What's the best way to get started without having to buy all new guns/equipment?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Can't say I've ever fired a CF round of Sil... have rimfire though.

As I recall there are "sporter" and other class for both rimfire and CF guns.

There are obviously rules to each.

I suspect if I were to google NRA HP/CF silhouette I could find the rules pretty quickly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes, there is a sporter or Hunter class,a brief summary is -

Minimum caliber is 6mm, no magnums allowed,
rifle weight max with scope is 9 lbs!
trigger weight of pull minimum is 2 lbs

You will need a scope that tracks reliably - very important!
About the smallest cartridge you can get by with is a 243 Win and using it you will end up not knocking over some of the ram targets.
260 & 708 are more reliable as far knockdown reliability, there are still a few folks using 308's but they will wear on you over the course of a long match, anything larger will really wear on you.

You can use a hunter rifle to shoot in the Standard class also but not vice-versa, the Standard class rifle allows more weight, lighter triggers, etc.

A good shooter can be competitive with an off the shelf rifle in Hunter class, Rem 700 is by far the most popular rifle in use.

As mentioned in the above post you might want to google the rules for further reading.

It is the most fun competition that I have ever done and generally,most competitors are friendly and helpful. Give it a try if you have a chance.
drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I haven't shot silhouette for many years but you are right, it is a lot of fun! I used a Remington 700 BDL 7mm08 with a 12x Leupold scope with a dot reticle and target knobs and shot in Hunter Rifle class. I started shooting at a range near New Braunfels when I lived in Austin. Recoil becomes an issue as you will fire a minimum of 40 rounds in the match plus sighters before the match. I shot 140 grain Sierras on chickens, pigs, and turkeys. For the rams at 500 meters, I used the 168 bthp Sierra. Rams are hard to take down, especially with a low hit. I lost some trying to use 140s on them but never with the 168s.

You can shoot the match with your hunting rifle at first. First time I shot was with a Ruger M77 270 and a 4X scope, just using hold over. I think I hit 8 out of 40! That many full power loads out of a 270 will get your attention. Give it a try, it's difficult but fun. It will make a better shooter out of you too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Silhouette will teach you to shoot standing up like man, not on your belly like a snake! grin

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Snakes are deadly. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by drover
Yes, there is a sporter or Hunter class,a brief summary is -

Minimum caliber is 6mm, no magnums allowed,
rifle weight max with scope is 9 lbs!
trigger weight of pull minimum is 2 lbs

You will need a scope that tracks reliably - very important!
About the smallest cartridge you can get by with is a 243 Win and using it you will end up not knocking over some of the ram targets.
260 & 708 are more reliable as far knockdown reliability, there are still a few folks using 308's but they will wear on you over the course of a long match, anything larger will really wear on you.

You can use a hunter rifle to shoot in the Standard class also but not vice-versa, the Standard class rifle allows more weight, lighter triggers, etc.

A good shooter can be competitive with an off the shelf rifle in Hunter class, Rem 700 is by far the most popular rifle in use.

As mentioned in the above post you might want to google the rules for further reading.

It is the most fun competition that I have ever done and generally,most competitors are friendly and helpful. Give it a try if you have a chance.
drover
good post. I've shot smallbore and HP Both since I think 01. Good info and matches can be found at steel chickens.com

Last edited by ldholton; 03/20/17.
T
T
then there is cowboy silhouette for the lever actions you have.

there's even a military silhouette (military service rifles) pistol, etc.

definately check out steel chickens and the silhouette dominante forums / websites and NRA rulebook for silhouette shooting, and how your gear matches up.

make sure you have ranges / clubs that support the sport, they are getting harder to find when it comes to silhouette.

be careful ****warning**** once you knowck down your first animal and hear that "ping" you will be hooked.

if you have a .22lr or even better yet an airrifle, you can practice pretty easily going through the motions on scale silhouette paper targets to see if you want to progress with the centerfire.

even just observe at a match, you'll find the silhouette crew are a pretty "interesting" shooters and some of the nicest folks you'll meet.

"a craftsman can't realize full potential, without finding the potential of the tools used..."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

379 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 36 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,226
Posts18,447,682
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.