24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
87k Offline OP
OP Offline
Can anyone give me some feedback on Christensen arms ridgeline? I have been doing a lot of research lately on what will fit my needs for my next rifle. I want a rifle that is very accurate. 1/2 moa or less. But I really don't have the money to spend $5000 on a custom build. Also I don't want it to weigh a ton, I want to be able to hunt with it. Do you get what you pay for when you buy one of these rifles? $2000. I'm interested in knowing if anyone in here owns one of these guns and can show me some groups

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would call them and see if they would chamber a Mesa in 28 Nosler, they catalog a 300 WM, so they are getting close (maybe compromise on a 30 Nosler)

I've never felt their carbon wrapped barrels shot any better than similar weighted steel barrels. That may have changed in recent years, but I never could justify the price for one personally after shooting several of them that belonged to otherrs.

And I've fixed at least 2 of them that has the sling swivels rip out of the stock. That was a whle ago, so hopefully they fixed that little hiccup.

For 2K I would go with something else, but I'm baised towards winchester syle actions over remington style. I'd spend taht money on a Kimber, Montana 1999 (I have one in 264 win mag that shooots bugholes when I do my part), or my local shop has a few Legendary Arms Works Professionals for $1399 I think that model is out fo production but that would be a nice semi-custom rifle also.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Take a look at the Fierce, nice rifle. I bought a Legendary Arms Works Professional in 280 AI, I'm shooting it tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
87K......I too am looking at getting either the 26 Nosler or the 28 Nosler. Really going back and forth between these two and which rifle as well. Driving my dealer nuts.

Browning?, MRC?, Nosler?, or Christensen? Decisions, decisions.

Well it figures that the Christensen Mesa doesn't show a 26 or 28 Nosler chambering.

Never have owned a carbon wrapped barrel so I cannot comment on any additional accuracy with one. But I tend to agree with Mjduct, that an extra grand for a carbon wrapped barrel might be splitting some hairs when compared with other barrels where accuracy is concerned.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very doubtful Christensen will put out a 28 Nosler in the Mesa. DAMHIKT.

As for the Fierce, essentially a Christensen on a Sako 85 action, albeit lacking the dovetail scope mounting system, but still subject to ejection issues noted across the web.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

87k Offline OP
OP Offline
I was doing the same thing. But I opted out of the others for various reasons. Christensen just seems like best of all worlds. Light weight but still can shoot long range. Good trigger. Rigid barrel. Heck I even had a crazy thought of settling wth a 7mm mag or 300 win mag and building a tikka. But I think my decision is made. Find a 28 nosler ridgeline

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought the ridgeline in 7 Rem in December, and its awesome with the 162 eldx. It shoots about 0.6moa at 200 and about the same at 934yards which is the farthest I've shot it. I shot a 6 shot 6" group at 934 yards. Using rl26 I'm pushing the 162s to 3130 fps.
So I liked that gun so much I went and bought another Ridgline after New Years. That one has been very disappointing, It has very bad pressure issues and I'm just waiting to see if it's getting rebarreled or what there plan is. But with that being said it has shot a few 0.75" groups at 200 yards.

I've had the fierce before and they may shoot but there fit and finish is garbage and I wouldn't waste my money on one of them.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Very doubtful Christensen will put out a 28 Nosler in the Mesa. DAMHIKT.

As for the Fierce, essentially a Christensen on a Sako 85 action, albeit lacking the dovetail scope mounting system, but still subject to ejection issues noted across the web.

The Fierce is as much like a Christensen as any other $2k synthetic stocked rifle... After spending time with both I find the stock to be much more solid on the fierce, stiffer and I would bet much lighter though I don't have the numbers to support. Of the small sampling I'm referring to the Fierce rifles are also incredibly accurate!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Cabela's in Pa. had a Fierce, the upgraded one where they actually shoot a target group. It was a 6.5 Creedmoor and it shot a .3" group, really nice light rifle, great feel. They wanted $2599 for it, it didn't come home with me.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
My neighbor and hunting partner bought a ridgeline in 28 recentlyafter I pointed him that direction. He hasn't shot it yet. I'll probably be the one sighting it in for him when it warms up and loading for it because he doesn't load. I think Christensen has improved the last few years. They used to just turn down Rem factory barrels and wrap them for some of their rifles. I guess they are making their own blanks now and the quality looks pretty good.

The rumor is that the founder of fierce used to work for Christensen until they noticed a lot of money was disappearing and they figured out that it might be due to him.

I'd like to try a ridgeline in 28 if I could sell the one I built on a Rem action last year. The one I built is a bit picky and hasn't shot any better than .75 Moa but I like the cartridge and I'm getting some great spreads from my 25" barrel. The 195's do over 3100 with no problems. If my friends ridgeline will do 1/2 Moa with a little load work I'll take a chance on one too. Unless they do mesas in 28 by then.

I think I may try a Mesa in a creedmoor soon too.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 02/08/17.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,197 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.