24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hey guys I have never seriously hunted a .410, but I'm going to hunt the Salvinelli .410 I posted about. I'm not positive what chokes it has but appears to be M/IC by the measurements. It'll primarily be a grouse gun, so I'm thinking 5 or 6 shot, does that sound right? It's a 3" gun with 26" barrels and a non-selective single trigger.

I'm wondering if there's a brand/configuration that's usually a solid performer, as well as any to avoid. I'll pattern them to confirm. I was offered some steel 6 shot but don't have any experience with steel. Don't want to shoot any steel if it'll damage the gun. Figured someone would know where to start...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go with 7 1/2 or 8. You want to get the pellet count up in a .410. At grouse ranges you should have plenty of pellets and energy out of a 3" .410 for grouse.
I use 8's in my 20 early season and go to 6's late season after the leaves drop.
In my 20 I like to use AA sporting (I buy them by the case for Sporting clays) but any good clays load (AA,STS,Gun Club or Top Gun) will work.
The premium clays loads have harder shot than the cheap "promo" loads. You don't need a premium copper plated hunting load for grouse.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks, that's a good start. Any thoughts on using steel?

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
No clue on the steel , but if it doesn't have to be used to be legal I wouldn't . I like 7 1/2s in a 16 ga 870.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like 8 shot for mountain grouse, not sure on which .410 loads though.

It does not take many pellets to bring down grouse.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Thanks, that's a good start. Any thoughts on using steel?

I wouldn't waste a chance at putting dinner on the table by using it in a sub guage gun. If you are in a area that requires steel break out the 12.

Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is an eye opener. Sounds like I need to stick with smaller shot. Anxious to shoot this shotgun.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grouse are not hard to kill, just hard to hit.
If you can shatter a clay pigeon at 35 yards you can kill a grouse with the same shot size. You want a big full pattern.
My BIL uses his 12 gauge with 1 1\4 oz pheasant loads. He blows them away. Not much left to eat.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I concur on the recommendation to use small shot. I love using my .410's for forest grouse, and even for prairie birds on occasion, but nothing bigger than #6 shot is worth using in my guns, patterns get very patchy real quick in most .410 guns when shooting any larger sizes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While you are patterning you might want to try Winchester AA Sporting 8's and Remington STS Sporting 8's I have played with a couple ,410's that patterned better with these than with 3" shells. 25 yards is about the max for clean kills with a .410 and these loads are deadly on doves and quail at the distance.

Side benefit these loads are much cheaper than 3" hunting loads.

Michael

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Fireball, are you shooting blues or ruffed grouse? I've shot a lot (well, keep in mind that they aren't easy if you wingshoot them....)of ruffs, and a few blues. Ruffs tend to be closer to the gun when they flush and you'll want a bigger pattern at close range, so I'd say 7 1/2 or 8 lead shot, and a 3" shell to get the most shot a .410 can handle.

Blues tend to flush high and far and with a .410 I'd use 6s. And I hope you are one hell of a wingshot--they aren't easy even with a 12, as you probably know.

Some "experts" say a .410 shouldn't be used for wingshooting at all. I've seen some ACTUAL experts kill just about all upland birds except turkeys with a .410. But they were real experts--expert wingshots, careful gun choice, and with specifically developed handloads were based on a lot of experience and knowledge with shotguns in general and .410s in particular. (I stick to cottontails, quail, and clays with MY .410s....).

Beautiful gun; have fun!

(P.S. If you don't get detailed answers on the use of steel in that Salvinelli, I'd suggest you ask over on the "Double Shotguns" forum of the www.doublegunshot.com/BBS site. California is mandating steel shot for upland in a couple of years and I suspect there is a lot of experimentation going on among the .410 crowd!).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mesa,
Funny thing I used to chase blues all over the mountains when bowhunting, but since I've switched to shotgun I can't buy a blue. Ruff is the normal victim. I'm not worried about the ruff, I normally get close when I'm picking berries and whatnot.

If I ever get within range of a blue I'll probably just throw the gun at them out of sheer surprise. grin

I hunt everything else with a 28 gauge SxS and 6 shot. Pheasant occasionally, chukar, quail, grouse. Deadly.

Thanks for the link Mesa, I'll go check that out!

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Link no worky.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A couple years ago, out of boredom my buddies and I made up a contest while hunkered down in one of our goose pits. We challenged each other to kill at least one goose that season with each of the common gauges- 10 through .410. We all pulled it off by the end of the season, then a wise guy showed up with a 14 gauge muzzle loader and broke the tie.

It wasn't the stunt you might think it was with the .410. We gun over decoys, are blessed with tons of geese, and can pick and choose our shots. Let a honker come in low and slow, wait until it's 20 yards away, and aim for the head. Bingo, the .410 with a load of #6 Bismuth puts them down.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I PM'd Fireball2 about his need for .410 ammo, and am the guy with the steel. I stumbled upon a gun store that was closing and bought 40 boxes of 410, 30 of 16ga and 40 of 28ga.

The 16 and 28 were Fiocchi golden pheasant, which I know work well, but I had the same trepidation about the Federal steel loads in .410

I set my notions aside and just started using it. It broke clay and quail just like lead. I think a big part of this is that with a .410 in hand I don't feel comfortable taking long shots, so I don't. I never really gave it a chance to fail keeping my shots inside 20 yards or so.

I wish I had found a screaming deal on the same loads in lead, but I'm pretty pleased at the way it has played out so far.

Go Bearcats
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'd shoot them in a flash if I thought the gun would handle them w/o damage. I'm pretty protective of the little girl. I just have zero experience with steel shot.

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hear you. No sense is possibly damaging a gun like that!

Go Bearcats
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had two boxes of Italian 410 3" shells with 7 shot...not 7 1/2.

It was by far the best choice for upland shooting in a 410, IMO.

I wish I could find some now. frown

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
263 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.