Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't take it any longer...I'm ordering one of these tomorrow. Don't know if they're worth a hoot but I bet I can kill a deer with it. powdr

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
The turrets are they finger adjust or coin slot adjust?

The Minox BDC reticle is set up for a 10 mph wind at each intersection end?

I just double checked. The scope does have the 10mph wind dots on the main crosshair...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Doug or anyone. Have there been many issues with these or returns? Reviews are mixed but I think most of the issues were with the early runs. Also a lot of people are using these on lower recoiling rifles, is this a concern?

The optics are great for the price and I am tempted to use it on a primary rifle. Other than where they are assembled they look like a great value.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We have gotten back a few a while ago with mechanical issues, however, we have not seen many of these and not from recent shipments

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

I just double checked. The scope does have the 10mph wind dots on the main crosshair...

From what I can see is this scope has the Christmas-tree type of BDC reticle and at the end of all the intersecting lines should be 10 mph wind aim points and not just on the main crosshair line?

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This is the the retical for the Burris E1

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

From what I can see is this scope has the Christmas-tree type of BDC reticle and at the end of all the intersecting lines should be 10 mph wind aim points and not just on the main crosshair line?

Nope..the 'dotz' are all the same width and the wind dotz are on the main cross hair only..not an Xmas tree type...

Easier to use for me... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Nope..the 'dotz' are all the same width and the wind dotz are on the main cross hair only..not an Xmas tree type...

Easier to use for me... grin

Can you post a pic of the reticle?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here is some technical info on the BDC 400, so Doug does your scope have the same reticle?

http://www.opticscamp.com/reticles/minox-riflescope-reticle-subtensions.pdf

Last edited by nimrodtracy; 03/22/17.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine came today! Very fast service and shipping. Thanks, Camera Land!

Mounted one on a 7MM Rem Mag. Have not shot it yet - wind and rain today here - but like appearance the reticle.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by CKW
Just ordered two -- now what am I going to do with them?

Oh, I'm sure something will come along. I bought a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 last year on sale, and only last week brought home a rifle for it.

Scopes are like self-fulfilling prophecies....

Thanks, SockPuppet! I've wondered for 57+ yrs. what I am, and now I know. I'm a Prophet. I'll let my wife know tonight when she gets home from work as she can't understand why I buy a scope from time to time even when I don't have a firearm to mount it on at the time...but I will!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter

Thanks, SockPuppet! I've wondered for 57+ yrs. what I am, and now I know. I'm a Prophet. I'll let my wife know tonight when she gets home from work as she can't understand why I buy a scope from time to time even when I don't have a firearm to mount it on at the time...but I will!

I have recently bought three scopes, and had no guns to put under them..I just thought I was a scope whore.

I like the sound of prophet better....

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Couple of observations on the Minox ZV-3 3-9X40 scope.

I have not had a chance to shoot the rifle the scope is mounted on yet. But have noted a couple of items of concern.

First, the scope is very sensitive to flare caused by light coming from the side, most especially at over 4X. At 3X it is not very noticeable, but at 9X under the same lighting conditions the scope is almost unusable. I will test this more when I can get it outdoors more. (I'm uncomfortable waving a rifle around in my back yard with neighbors nearby.)

Second, the Minox instructions say to use no more than 13 to 15 inch-pounds of torque on the rings. I used a FAT torque wrench with that setting for the Talley LW rings. Even at that low setting the rings left slight depressions in the tube. The scope does not bind on the power change mechanism but the rings indented the tube. The previous scope on the rifle (a Leupold 6X36) had the rings torqued to 20 inch pounds and there are no marks on that scope.

The view through the scope looks great and I still like the appearance of the reticle. It will be interesting to see how the scope will hold up to the recoil of 175 g. bullets going over 2900 fps in a 8 lb. 9 oz. rifle.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have been shooting mine some more and AM SO FREAKING IMPRESSED that I'm ordering another! laugh

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shot the rifle with the Minox ZV-3 3-9X40 scope today.

The view through the scope is excellent to my eyes. The reticle is bold and the view through the scope is very crisp. I like it a lot.

With the rifle in the sunlight I tried getting it to show the veiling flare I mentioned earlier. I could not find a problem in daylight at all. (I guess the fluorescent lights in my basement room are not a good test of veiling flare. --I don't expect to be hunting under florescent lights! laugh )

The scope seems to handle the recoil of the 7MM Remington Magnum and there were no close encounters with the eye-piece.

Above about 6X the eye-box seems much more constrained and going to 9X from 6X did not help me see bullet holes any better at 100 yards. I will use the scope at 6X or less and be more than satisfied.

I have a second one but have not mounted it yet so don't know if it acts the same above 6X as the first.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been shooting mine some more and AM SO FREAKING IMPRESSED that I'm ordering another! laugh

So, would it be safe to say you like the $99.99 Minox ZV-3 a little better than the $149.99 Weaver Grand Slam 3-10X? Seriously considering ordering one of these from Doug.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 2ndtimer

So, would it be safe to say you like the $99.99 Minox ZV-3 a little better than the $149.99 Weaver Grand Slam 3-10X? Seriously considering ordering one of these from Doug.

Absolutely! In fact I set the Grand Slam back ( first time I ever returned a scope..) and bought another Minox..

Also bought a SIG Whiskey 3 in 3x9 and I think I prefer the Minox over that as well..not by much..but a little! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pssst...Doug has these on the website at $85. Don't tell anyone.

Minox on Sale

Last edited by SockPuppet; 08/18/17.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the heads up. I just snagged one. Too good of a deal to pass up.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CKW
Shot the rifle with the Minox ZV-3 3-9X40 scope today.

The view through the scope is excellent to my eyes. The reticle is bold and the view through the scope is very crisp. I like it a lot.

With the rifle in the sunlight I tried getting it to show the veiling flare I mentioned earlier. I could not find a problem in daylight at all. (I guess the fluorescent lights in my basement room are not a good test of veiling flare. --I don't expect to be hunting under florescent lights! laugh )

The scope seems to handle the recoil of the 7MM Remington Magnum and there were no close encounters with the eye-piece.

Above about 6X the eye-box seems much more constrained and going to 9X from 6X did not help me see bullet holes any better at 100 yards. I will use the scope at 6X or less and be more than satisfied.

I have a second one but have not mounted it yet so don't know if it acts the same above 6X as the first.

I'd be interested in knowing if you get that flare with a setting sun at your back. Most of our shooting down here is done just after sunset in low light conditions. That flare will show up on some pretty good scopes with the scope facing east.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.