Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We lost one of this nation's finest, ever, today.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
RIP General.

Thanks for posting.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shield Maidens and Valkyries bear this exemplary warrior into the great hall, where the Mead is always fresh, and old wounds no longer ache. May he their encounter all that rode beside him, and passed on before, and may their council be one of happiness and affection.

Godspeed, General Moore.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/11/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

RIP

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rest in Peace Great Warrior.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
He was one of our best. RIP sir

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
We are diminished.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad was born the same year . . .

[Linked Image]

Harold Gregory "Hal" Moore, Jr. (February 13, 1922 - February 11, 2017) was a retired United States Army lieutenant general and author. He was a recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross, which is the U.S. military's second highest decoration for valor, and was the first of his West Point class (1945) to be promoted to brigadier general, major general, and lieutenant general.

Moore is best remembered as the lieutenant colonel in command of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment, at the Battle of Ia Drang in 1965, during the Vietnam War. The battle was made into the movie We Were Soldiers in 2002, which starred actor Mel Gibson as Moore; Moore was the "honorary colonel" of the regiment.

In 2007, Moore's volunteer driver wrote a book on Moore's personal religious journey titled A General's Spiritual Journey. In 2013, author Mike Guardia published the first full-length biography of Moore's life and career titled Hal Moore: A Soldier Once...and Always.

Moore was awarded the Order of Saint Maurice by the National Infantry Association[2] as well as the Distinguished Graduate Award by the West Point Association of Graduates.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are a lesser country with his passing. RIP General Moore.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't see your post till I posted Sean.

11 Feb,2017
Lieutenant General Hal Moore has passed away at the age of 94 in Auburn, Alabama.

LTG Moore was the first American commander to engage in a large-scale battle with the M16 family of rifles during the Battle of Ia Drang. Moore was later quoted as saying “Brave soldiers and the M16 brought this victory.” Moore even stated that the M16 was “the best individual infantry weapon ever made.” I suspect that his leadership and the many hours of training had much to do with the victory as well.

While he didn’t have a direct effect on the gun industry, Hal Moore did have an effect on the adoption of the M16 for service with the US military and our appreciation for the early days of Vietnam thanks to his book We Were Soldiers Once … And Young that would later be made into a movie. Had it not been for LTG Moore’s praise for the XM16E1, the adoption of the M16 and the proliferation of the AR 15 in America might not have happened.

Hal Moore was nothing short of a hero and patriot of the highest caliber. With 32 years of active duty service, Moore earned many awards for valor in the face of the enemy, most notably the Distinguished Service Cross (the award just below the Medal of Honor) for his conduct during the Battle of Ia Drang.

Rest in peace, Sir. Garryowen.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Rest in peace, sir.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Damn I love the Calvary hat.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
RIP Lieutenant General

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Distinguished Service Cross

Awarded for actions during the Vietnam War

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918 (amended by act of July 25, 1963), takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Colonel (Infantry), [then Lieutenant Colonel] Harold Gregory Moore, Jr. (ASN: 0-27678), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam. During the period 14 through 16 November 1965, Colonel Moore, Commanding Officer, 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), was participating with his unit in a vital search and destroy operation in the la Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam. Upon entering the landing zone with the first rifle company, Colonel Moore personally commenced the fire-fight to gain control of the zone by placing accurate fire upon the Viet Cong from an exposed position in his hovering helicopter. Throughout the initial assault phase, Colonel Moore repeatedly exposed himself to intense hostile fire to insure the proper and expedient deployment of friendly troops. By his constant movement and repeated exposure to this insurgent fire, Colonel Moore, with complete disregard for his own personal safety, set the standard for his combat troops by a courageous display of "leadership by example" which characterized all his actions throughout the long and deadly battle. Inspired by his constant presence and active participation against the overwhelming insurgent hordes, the friendly forces solidified their perimeter defenses and repulsed numerous Viet Cong assaults. On 15 November 1965, the embattled battalion was again attacked by a three-pronged insurgent assault aimed at surrounding and destroying the friendly forces in one great advance. With great skill and foresight, Colonel Moore moved from position to position, directing accurate fire and giving moral support to the defending forces. By his successful predictions of insurgent attack plans, he was able to thwart all their efforts by directing barrages of small arms, mortar, and artillery fire in conjunction with devastating air strikes against Viet Cong positions and attack zones. As the grueling battle continued into the third day, another large Viet Cong strike was repulsed through Colonel Moore's ability to shift men and firepower at a moment's notice against the savage, last-ditch efforts of the insurgents to break through the friendly positions. Colonel Moore's battalion, inspired by his superb leadership, combat participation, and moral support, finally decimate the well-trained and numerically superior Viet Cong force so decidedly that they withdrew in defeat, leaving over 800 of their dead on the battlefield, and resulting in a great victory for the 1st Battalion. Colonel Moore's extraordinary heroism and gallantry in action were in keeping with the highest tradition of the United States Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the military service.
General Orders: Headquarters, U.S. Army, Pacific, General Orders No. 126 (June 1, 1966)

Action Date: November 14 - 16, 1965

Service: Army

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Regiment: 7th Cavalry Regiment

Division: 1st Cavalry Division

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We lost a great man, this country needs more like him right now.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
97!!! Wooo Hooo!! Congrats on a full and long life Sir. And you will be forever remembered and respected. RIP.

OO do you know when the pic you posted was taken?

Godspeed healing to the extended families!!

Thanks for posting Sean!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
97!!! Wooo Hooo!! Congrats on a full and long life Sir. And you will be forever remembered and respected. RIP.

OO do you know when the pic you posted was taken?

Godspeed healing to the extended families!!

Thanks for posting Sean!

It was taken in 2010 at West Point.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 1969, Four days after arriving in country as a newly minted Infantry PFC, I was stationed at LZ Ruth. Everyone in my company were highly indebted to Hal Moore.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
RIP Sir!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 2500HD, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,527
Posts18,452,853
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.