Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What is the preferred tumbling media polish additive, looking for something economical and your source where purchased. I have tried Mother's Mag Wheel Polish and felt it did a pretty good job. Other suggestions being sought, prefer to run untreated corn cob rather than the rouge treated stuff.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
many years ago I was told to use Brasso.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you use Brasso you will need to wash it real good after
The Brasso will give you raw brass that will turn pretty fast.

I use Brasso on my Mil Surp 50 BMG brass and after washing it and drying it. I use the Dillon polish in corn cob to give it a protective coating.

I do not know about how affordable the Dillon polish is but it works great for me.

U
U
You might want to check the ingredients of Brasso. I was told years ago that it is made of ammonia - something that should never come in contact with your brass.
I have used Turtle Wax - about 1/2 tsp in a full tumbler but I use it to regenerate the Lyman rouge treated nut media. Don't use too much or it will clump.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Dillon, Berry's and Lyman brass polish as well as a couple of different liquid automotive wax/polishes.
They all work; I haven't seen any real difference. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if some of the commercial brass polishes are just repackaged car wax.
Tried the Lyman rouge treated walnut hull. Never again.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
gw, I have tumbled 10's of thousands of rounds using 1-2 tbsp's of Dawn dish detergent along with a .40 cal case full of Lemi-shine along with .087" stainless steel pins media.

This combo works incredibly well. You will like it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I like the way the Dawn/SS pins/Lemi-shine polishes the brass, what I don't like is messing with the dirty water,dumping the pins out of the cases and my biggest peeve prying the pins out of the primer pockets that get stuck sideways there. I still use the Frankford Arsenal tumbler but have gone back to using walnut shell media.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
gw, I use just a normal kitchen colander with the thinnest holes and slats I can find. Dump the brass in it and sift. Use an old non-stick burned up fry pan underneath to catch the pins. Pour pins back in tumblers. Rinse brass thoroughly. I have not found any other method to work better for the way the brass comes out. Pristine.

BTW- I posted the wrong size for the pins. They're .047", not .087". Length of pins is .255". The .047" pins are larger, so don't normally stick in the flash holes for me.

Good luck!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Never had a need to use a polish in addition to the media. Just used ground english walnut shells, it doesn't clog the primer pockets like corn cob or the larger cut walnut media.

This works well and cheap to boot.

https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptil...rds=crushed+walnut+shell+reptile+bedding

SD

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
NV,

I could not agree more.....I am using the Lyman rouge coated media! It works real well.............except for the fact that all the red dust coats the inside of the brass! Its my last batch! I have heard it said that media will never wear out, it just need to be rejuvenated. I have used the lyman conditioner in the past.......it works good until you put coins in your tumbler! There is chemical reaction with the copper that destroys the the media........turns it green and sticky! That is the only reason I bought the rouge junk!

"Shoot Low Sheriff; he's ridin a shetlend"
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.