Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They better get Peelosi, Maxine Waters and Feinstein out there to start filling sandbags.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This will end up being a "dam version" of a nuclear meltdown.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Maybe i am missing something but why did they not repair the damaged spillway when they diverted the water to the other one.

They have ways to make concrete set very fast.

Hope no one gets hurt.

You definitely ARE missing something, both spillways are running a raging torrent,....you have concrete that'll "set" under that ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
officials initially assured the public that evacuations would not be necessary, because the damage to the normal spillway appeared limited. They repeated those assurances on Saturday as the emergency spillway was used for the first time since the dam’s construction in 1968.

Now, however, local ABC News affiliate KRCR reports that state officials warn

I'm shocked to my very heart and soul that the "Officials" could not be trusted,.....

Anyhow,...OBEY OFFICIALS, it's the California way

kidding aside, prayers for those in harms way.

....a POX on politically motivated "Officials", and their puppet masters, as well.

GTC

I think the spillway was in good shape until the water started to spill over and erode the base away. First time the spillway had ever been used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
First time the spillway had ever been used.

I hope CA kept the original sales receipt..

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Maybe i am missing something but why did they not repair the damaged spillway when they diverted the water to the other one.

Hope no one gets hurt.

You definitely ARE missing something, both spillways are running a raging torrent,....you have concrete that'll "set" under that ?

GTC

You be missing something too. They completely shut off the main spillway yesterday to inspect the damage. I suppose that's when he is talking about.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That sinkhole in the main spillway isn't a crater from a bomb hit, it's a COLLAPSE of the sub-grade. For a collapse of that scale to transpire, there has to be a LOT of water making it's way from out from under that dam already,....DEEP underneath.

The implications of a potential "blowout" right down at or below the reservoirs bottom are not at all good IMHO.

GTC

The least of which is the immediate aftermath, an entire regions water supply sits behind that dam. Implications are dire in a worst case scenario.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a good time for Trump to negotiate that sanctuary thingy.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read about the Johnstown flood. It will put these things in perspective.

Johnstown Flood
From Wikipedia,
The Johnstown Flood (locally, the Great Flood of 1889) occurred on May 31, 1889, after the catastrophic failure of the South Fork Dam on the Little Conemaugh River 14 miles (23 km) upstream of the town of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. The dam broke after several days of extremely heavy rainfall, releasing 20 million tons (18 million cubic meters) of water from the reservoir known as Lake Conemaugh. With a volumetric flow rate that temporarily equalled that of the Mississippi River,[2] the flood killed 2,209 people[3] and caused US$17 million of damage (about $450 million in 2015 dollars).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown_Flood

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think the spillway was in good shape until the water started to spill over and erode the base away. First time the spillway had ever been used.

Translation to non P.C. American English,
....The spillway was a poorly built product of lousy engineering, a true POS.
It's bloody well not the first time we've seen this kinda' rodeo, either.
Leaves me thinking back to the collapse of the freeway in Oakland, and wondering how much re-bar money went into the pockets of the pols, v. the actual concrete that's now failed.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
News updates are calling the situation as being "uncontrollable". Looks like Mother Nature may win another one.

Inundation map:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I've read and seen video of, replacing the spillway isn't going to be a quick patch job, more like years of work and huge money. If the entire dam lets go, it could end up being one of the biggest disasters in modern history.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Hope no one gets hurt.

GTC

You be missing something too. They completely shut off the main spillway yesterday to inspect the damage. I suppose that's when he is talking about.

Not a civil engineer, but guessing that any new concrete that would have been poured would have scoured away in minutes. Massive quantities of fast water is pretty powerful stuff.

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Progression map:
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cross,what i am getting at is the damage did not happen overnight.

It had to be going on for a while before they found it.

The way the so-called news read was that they had shut down the regular spillway down because of fears that it would wash out.

Just seems to me that if they did shut it down some type of damage control could have been done.
That's all.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
First time it's been used?

What? Never a test run?

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The least of which is the immediate aftermath, an entire regions water supply sits behind that dam. Implications are dire in a worst case scenario.

Are you under the impression that a fleet of heavy skycranes, the buckets from which to airdrop that much concrete, and that much concrete are kept somewhere, "Just in case ?".

Get real, this is COMPLETELY indefensible.

GTC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can imagine the level of finger pointing will be "big league". Certainly it will be blamed on some level of Republican intransigence to deny proper funding for upkeep and repair.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Hope no one gets hurt.

GTC

Not a civil engineer, but guessing that any new concrete that would have been poured would have scoured away in minutes. Massive quantities of fast water is pretty powerful stuff.

I'm not saying they could have patched it. Just that yesterday it was completely shut off. No water was coming down it. The pictures I saw showed severe erosion underneath it, along the sides of it, and a hole you could have put several dump trucks in.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by Barkoff
First time the spillway had ever been used.

I hope CA kept the original sales receipt..

It's not going to fail, they have been predicting within the hour for the last three hours..they are just CYA

Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.