Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just ordered a Sako M85 Kodiak, .375H&H. I read a description/review after my order was placed saying that the action does not have a gas relief port like most other actions, the bolt shroud is supposed to take care of protecting the shooter's eyes and face in the unlikely event of a case rupture.
I am concerned about this. I have had the odd pierced primer, a few partial case separations, and even some cracked case walls while shooting many thousands of rounds of centerfires ammunition in my lifetime.
I tend to use hand loaded cases until primer pockets become loose, necks crack, or there is a shiny ring above the web at the base. I have several older Sako rifles and a smattering of Rugers and European Mausers, etc. All have gas relief ports. Is this Sako 85 action a good and safe design to use with hand loads?
Your experience and comments are appreciated!

Last edited by castnblast; 02/13/17.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
castnblast - just taking a guess here as I've not looked at a SAKO 85 but could the bolt body have an opening on the bottom side (when in the rifle and locked) venting over-pressure gas straight into and out of the magazine well? Homesteader

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Homesteader, thanks! the bolt body does have a ejector slot, which points down when the bolt is open, and at 60° to the left when the bolt is closed. When looking closely I do see a small slot in the side of the feed ramp which would vent gases along the ejector slot, and into the magazine well.
I feel more confident in the rifle's design now.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by castnblast
I just ordered a Sako M85 Kodiak, .375H&H. I read a description/review after my order was placed saying that the action does not have a gas relief port like most other actions, the bolt shroud is supposed to take care of protecting the shooter's eyes and face in the unlikely event of a case rupture.
I am concerned about this. I have had the odd pierced primer, a few partial case separations, and even some cracked case walls while shooting many thousands of rounds of centerfires ammunition in my lifetime.
I tend to use hand loaded cases until primer pockets become loose, necks crack, or there is a shiny ring above the web at the base. I have several older Sako rifles and a smattering of Rugers and European Mausers, etc. All have gas relief ports. Is this Sako 85 action a good and safe design to use with hand loads?
Your experience and comments are appreciated!

Not a Sako 85 but....

I have a Sako AV Hunter in .375HH that I bought in the 80s. It does not have a gas relief port anywhere in the front ring. It also does not have provisions for venting gas within the bolt. The ejector slot in the closed breech position would vent gas against the left (top) lug locking surface within the ring. Except for the ejector blade, the left raceway is an unobstructed gas path towards the shooter.

A Sako AV I have in 7mmRM does have a gas relief hole on the left side of the front ring.

Neither of these Sakos provide me with an overabundance of confidence for the channeling of gas away from my face if brass and/or primer integrity is breached.

Sakos, being what they are, brass does not get reloaded more than a few times and handloads are on the weak side of max. I wear glasses so they are always on my face when shooting.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've never had a case let go on a 75 or 85 but I've seen a few photos of Stainless 75 Finnlights blown up when they had a bad batch of barrel steel. Those guns all looked the same. Action looked normal, magazine well enlarged and bottom metal deformed. Barrels ripped open in front of chamber.

If still curious take a blow gun from air compressor and blow it down the muzzle. Feel around and see where it goes. I'm betting magazine well.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
castnblast - glad I could help. The alternative to not having that gas relief port would be a product liability attorney on retainer...very $$$. Bad publicity no so good either. Just ask Remington re: trigger. Homesteader

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I feel least comfortable with hot loads in a pre-64 M70. They may not be the worst, but much worse than others for venting gas on case failure.

I feel most comfortable with military c-ring 98 for protecting shooter from excess gas.
My comfort level with Sako is closer to the 98, than it is to the pre-64. The Sako will vent out the mag box.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.