Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Does anyone fish the streams or creeks feeding Lake Erie for Steel head. I have always wanted to do it, I'm only about 5 hours away. I'm looking for any helpful info on where to go, parking, accessing the water on private property. Ive fished the streams around home for stocked trout and want to try something bigger. Thanks Camo

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you are in Frederick, PA, it's about the same drive time to Buffalo/Wilson/Niagara Falls. Pretty good Steelie fishing in those tribs, ESP if you are good with a fly. Plus, the Niagara River produces year round

Last edited by OrangeDiablo; 02/16/17.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
elk and walnut creeks in PA plus the Niagra is good too.

Best way is to hire a local guide for a weekend to learn the area, tackle, techniques, areas in water to target ETC ( especially if a noobie to steelhead) and pick his brain.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yes. I too would suggest a well referenced guide. Angled for west coast steelhead for 2 seasons with not a bump. Buddy and I split the cost for a guide picking his brain for the entire day. Limited out quickly and it was a no brainer after that.

The biggest issue is acquiring the ability to recognize good holding water/structure.

Don't know if you have any summer runs back in that country, but a big steelhead in 60-65 degree water can empty a reel in a hurry.

Good luck and I hope it does not turn into a disease.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/17/17.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I'm by no means an expert but having been to Erie a few times i'll weigh in. A guide would be a great asset but by no means necessary . Elk , Walnut , 4mile, 12mile plus several smaller streams hold Steelhead. Depending on how you fish for stock trout it's not a lot different. 8'-9' Ultralite to light rods work well just have a reel with a good smooth drag and fill it with quality 4-6 lb mono and maybe a Fluoro leader if clear water. Lot of lures/ baits work well . Minnows dead or alive are working well , as are trout magnets , berkely trout worms and gulp minnows. There are quite a few informative Youtube videos that show a lot of the water and techniques. Good luck , tight lines and screaming drags !

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the responses. I have been fishing the streams in MD PA and WV for .... I don't know, lets say over 40 years. I also have friends and a family member that fish some of the criks up that way. I'm more concerned about logistics than fishing tech. I have a 10foot 6 noodle rod and good reel. It's been a while since I've been in my neoprene chest waders and I've put on a bit of .... Oh hell, I'm fat. It's funny watching me get in them and more so watching me peel them off. I truly work up a sweat which just makes it worse. I need to make a video. Anyway Thanks again.

Camo

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.