24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having backed into a M70 USRAC XTR Fwt 7x57 last month in a trade, this thread is very timely & interesting. I am a life long 270 & 300Wmg shooter, with my 1st 270 in about 1969 & the Wmg about 10 years later.

Some years back I was interested, but not enough to find out why, when the largest volume independent Gun Dealer in Texas, Carters Country in Houston, bought enough Remmy Model 7's in 7-08's, instead of the usual 243's, to use as loaners for his Recoil Shy guests to use at his various Hunting Ranch's shortly after they were intoduced, and wrote it off to Remmy offering Mr Carter a promo deal... and have ignored the small sized 7mm's pretty much since then until recently.

Gonna be a fun learning curve to get into the lower MV 7mm's but I can definitely see the advantages of the old Mauser or it's modern cousin vs the 6.5 Swede /260's I started using about 10 year ago as a sop to my age and state of grace.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
BP-B6

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Tomk I don't know as I traded for the gun from a gunsmith in DeQueen AR! I've only owned it for about 4-5 years! Someone did a great job though!

Last edited by Otis; 02/16/17.

Semper Fi USMC/0331
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought three boxes of .30/06 GROM for my Sako FN a couple of years back. Never popped anything with them; actually, that rifle has yet to be bloodied, in my hands anyway. That test bullet is impressive, especially at about $16 a box for the ammo!

You shoot a lot of hogs. What do you do with the big old stinkers that aren't suitable for consumption?

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/16/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I bought three boxes of .30/06 GROM for my Sako FN a couple of years back. Never popped anything with them; actually, that rifle has yet to be bloodied, in my hands anyway. That test bullet is impressive, especially at about $16 a box for the ammo!

You shoot a lot of hogs. What do you do with the big old stinkers that aren't suitable for consumption?

I've used that ammo on several pigs, and with the exception of the one in the picture, they've all been one shot, DRT. And I have yet to recover a single bullet. Even at that low velocity, they've all been pass-throughs. Granted, with the exception of one kill, they've all been shot at far less than 100 yards, but the Grom loads have still performed very well. I suppose they're a sort of poor man's Barnes. I've been thinking about pulling the bullets from a box to see how they perform at around 2700 fps, but in all honesty, except for a difference in trajectory, I doubt I'll see any difference at all. They just work the way they are. And like you said, at about $17 per box (for the 7x57), they're really hard to beat. An added bonus is that the brass lasts a long time. It's a win/win.

As for the big boars, I normally just let them go. I know it's bad conservation, since Florida is second only to Texas in having a feral pig problem, but here's the way I look at it. 1) They're breeders. Again, poor varmint control on my part, but they keep us supplied with this 50-75 pounders that I do like to eat. 2) Frankly, they're just too hard to handle (loading, cleaning, etc.). 3)We often have guests out on the property, many of which don't get to hunt very often, so those big boars often wind up being their trophies (they make nice shoulder mounts). 4) This one is important to me: You should see the eyes of a kid when he/she drops a big old boar that easily outweighs them by 250 pounds. That makes for some serious class-room talk on Monday morning, especially with pictures.

So, as I said, I generally just let them walk. I figure that someone will eventually harvest them, not to mention that the fellow who runs the cattle will drop them on sight, regardless of size.

Of the 30+ my BIL and I generally take each year, the vast majority are under 100 pounds, so they all get used (eaten), either by us or by folks we sometimes give the meat to. Considering that in some parts of the country, guns get cleaned and put away at the end of hunting season, having access to these critters 24/7/365 ain't all that bad.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Otis
Nice one Rev bullet comparison too! I'm shooting the SST 139 gr. they seem to hold together better than the Interlocks!

I haven't loaded the SST, but the Interlocks seem to do well on game. Maybe it just wasn't up to the test medium - tightly packed dry newspaper. I have that bullet in front of me right now and you can still see pieces of the paper in it. That inexpensive Prvi Grom came out exactly as you see it in the picture.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have you tried the ones you call stinky? I'll admit my experience on over 200lbrs is limited, only 4, some have smelled pretty bad. Even those tasted OK. You might try one. I think you and I pretty much are old school. If I shoot it I eat it. Exclusive of coyote and crows, of course. I'll never understand those that intentionally gut shoot one, only to let it die a miserable death. You might try splitting the differences. Try just skinning one ham and both backstraps. Give them a try. You might be surprised. If they're awful give them to your dog or an annoying neighbor. smile Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One interesting summation of the 7x57 was made by, I believe, Pete Brown of Sports Afield in an article I recall reading as a kid. He described it at being "like a boat that was 40 feet on the outside and 80 feet on the inside."

That quote stuck with me all these years. He also did an article on the 300 and 375 H&H and started me down the road toward my fondness for the old 300.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I believe the H&H one was in Gun Digest. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
ok, thanks Otis

the 7x57 and 300 H&H would make a nice pair of big game rifles...a little redundant...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tomk
ok, thanks Otis

the 7x57 and 300 H&H would make a nice pair of big game rifles...a little redundant...:)

Stay all metric;

7x57 and 9.3x62 in matching Mark X Mannlichers.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
may have that covered...but in Grrman actions...:)

Defend the Constitution
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My Husqvarna 46 is my 9.3x62

Semper Fi USMC/0331
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by captdavid
I believe the H&H one was in Gun Digest. Captdavid

The one I recall was from Sports Afield. Sports Afield, Outdoor Life and Fur-Fish Game were the only magazines I got back then.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tomk
ok, thanks Otis

No more redundant than some the collections I've seen on this forum. That's what makes us looneys.

Last edited by mart; 02/17/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought that possibly you might send them to the protein plant as fertilizer. I heard a podcast recently that featured a Texas hog trapper that sends hundreds to a processor that sells the meat overseas because it's not legal to sell commercially here.

Given their reproduction rate, I doubt that anything your club could do would affect the overall problem to any degree. Don't look for any moralizing on your pig popping practices from this quarter.😜

Have you by any chance watched any driven boar shooting videos on YouTube? Those guys can shoot! Well worth watching, but prepare to feel like a dub after watching those boys sling lead at boars on the scoot. The Aimpoint videos are probably the best.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My favorite of two I own is this Swede based one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My youngest has all but confiscated my other, a Walther Model B Mauser.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In its British guise the 7x57mm Mauser was known as the .275 Rigby, and in the hands of some talented hunters like W.D.M. Bell and Col. Jim Corbett,
the cartridge would go on to inspire the world in the classic hunting tales like “Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter” and “The Man-Eaters of Kumaon.

Interesting that people have been so inspired by Bells .275 bore but not much his great exploits with his .256 Mannlicher
which he also credits in his book.

"For years after that I continued to use the -275 and the -256 in all kinds of country
and for all kinds of game."
-Bell (page 6.)

"I was using at that time a very light and sweet- working Mann.-Sch. carbine, -256 bore and weighing only 5\ lb.
With this tiny and beautiful little weapon I had extraordinary luck, and I should have continued to use it in preference
to my other rifles had not its Austrian ammunition developed the serious fault of splitting at the neck. After that discovery
I reverted to my well-tried and always trusty 7 mm. Mauser."
- Bell , (page 94.)

His favored rifle above all his other weapons, was satisfied with its bullet performance on everything from elephant down,
(killed 300 odd bulls with it)....but all people ever seem to associate will Bell is the .275 bore.

The thing that Bell notes most about .275 is the reliability of DWM ammunition, he certainly doesn't put the Rigby rifle
or .275 performance on game above that of his Daniel Fraser .256 Mannlicher carbine.

All the more strange is that when some people see Bells own Rigby .275 bore rifle they make out like its the holy grail, and some
will say things like "If only that rifle could talk" - yet that 1923 purchase rifle people are seeing hasn't kill a pile of elephant, since
Mr. Bells elephant hunting career was over by then. It is merely one of six(6) Rigby .275 bores he owned at one time or another.
However, the .256 bore workhorse rifle that did kill 300 bulls,lions,cape buff etc, and that still exist today and that can be viewed
in photos just the same, really even rates a passing mention when the subject of Bell is discussed.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I thought that possibly you might send them to the protein plant as fertilizer. I heard a podcast recently that featured a Texas hog trapper that sends hundreds to a processor that sells the meat overseas because it's not legal to sell commercially here.

Given their reproduction rate, I doubt that anything your club could do would affect the overall problem to any degree. Don't look for any moralizing on your pig popping practices from this quarter.😜

Have you by any chance watched any driven boar shooting videos on YouTube? Those guys can shoot! Well worth watching, but prepare to feel like a dub after watching those boys sling lead at boars on the scoot. The Aimpoint videos are probably the best.

No, there isn't much we can do to slow them down. I was reading somewhere that about 70% of the annual yield (piglets) would have to be culled just to stay even. I don't know how accurate that is, but I wouldn't be surprised.

That fellow you're talking about - shooting the Merkel Helix - is incredible. When my BIL bought his Aimpoint he got a year's subscription and could watch the videos for free - Wild Boar Fever, I think they're called. Those boys can shoot! There was also an episode where they had an interactive range where live-fire hits on a huge video screen are registered. That would be a lot of fun to try.

It's too bad we can't give the meat from the pigs to the local homeless shelters, but the Health Department won't let it pass through the doors unless it's processed through an approved processing facility. I think we have two in the entire state. That's a shame: there is a lot of meat running around that could be used. Oh well; the government always knows best, right? frown

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I always enjoy seeing those pictures, Ed. You son did an outstanding job harvesting those critters with that outstanding rifle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by captdavid
Have you tried the ones you call stinky? I'll admit my experience on over 200lbrs is limited, only 4, some have smelled pretty bad. Even those tasted OK. You might try one. I think you and I pretty much are old school. If I shoot it I eat it. Exclusive of coyote and crows, of course. I'll never understand those that intentionally gut shoot one, only to let it die a miserable death. You might try splitting the differences. Try just skinning one ham and both backstraps. Give them a try. You might be surprised. If they're awful give them to your dog or an annoying neighbor. smile Captdavid

A lot of the time the stink is from either peeing themselves when shot (or soon afterward) or rolling in wallows where they've been peeing. I've eaten the meat from some big boars as well, but I find those less than 100 pounds are just a lot milder, as well as a little more tender. In a big batch of BBQ, though, I don't think anyone could really tell the difference. I've had deer that has been tougher and tasted worse that the backstraps of a really big boar.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.