Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500
It takes a lot of balls to try and pass this off as legit, some folks must not know 1600 bucks will get you a fine country ass stomping!

Yes indeed it would... laugh. I'm thinking since the price is so low, the seller has to know it's a fake....

Of course, by not putting [re-bored/re-stamped 358 Win from 308 Win] in the title means he's looking for a sucker, bet he'd take the money and not say chit if you didn't ask. wink

Trump Won!
BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Every blue moon a Winchester M100 in 358 WIN will surface on the internet. Always a rebored and restamped 308 WIN.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It takes a lot of balls to try and pass this off as legit, some folks must not know 1600 bucks will get you a fine country ass stomping!

Yes indeed it would... laugh. I'm thinking since the price is so low, the seller has to know it's a fake....

Of course, by not putting [re-bored/re-stamped 358 Win from 308 Win] in the title means he's looking for a sucker, bet he'd take the money and not say chit if you didn't ask. wink

Yep. That erks me!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think it was WC Fields who said "A fool and his money are soon parted". Anyone who buys this (and the seller bought it at some point)are very foolish with their money.

It's a great caliber. I bought mine from Randy Schuman 20+ years ago.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Randy Shuman was the most honest, knowledgeable and reputable dealer in the business. I visited his shop in Newville, PA many years ago and bought several M/70's from him.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought one from Randy Shuman about 15 or 20 years ago, too. I only dealt with him a few times but he had a very good reputation back in the "Gunlist Days"....he probably still does. I understand that he sold the shop in Newville quite a while back but it may still be called Shuman's Gun Shop. I think he is still dealing in Winchesters as I talked with him a few years ago about another rifle....but I can't remember which one smile

He seemed to always have some great guns in Newville. He had a huge assortment of model 71s at one point. Many new in box guns and both a 33 WCF and a 45-70.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Randy sold shop. It is still called Shumans. Randy still sells quality guns - no shop

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Boliep: Sad attempt at forgery/fakery that one!
Be careful out there - the rip-off artists will (and do!) try ANYTHING.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I looked at a couple of the ones that were listed on Gunbroker and both seemed kind of iffy.....might be true that there are more fakes than real. The 5 in 358 seems to be hard to get just right......

S
S
I bought my Dad a pre 64 model 70 358 win for Christmas last year. This is what the real thing looks like wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gees I responded on this post about Randy Shuman, I don't know why I didn't address the gun before!

FAKE!!!

308 rebored and restamped and then overly polished and reblued.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Savage99: IF... your "358" caliber designation stamping looks like that one, then its more than likely YOU have a fake also!
The original posters depicted gun IS a fake.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by soothsayer
I bought my Dad a pre 64 model 70 358 win for Christmas last year. This is what the real thing looks like wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NICE! Congrats to your Pops! smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I looked at my M70 Featherweight again and the stamping on it's barrel is extremely fine like the one on this page. There is no stamping over on mine to change the 0 to a 5.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Regardless, Soothsayers Pop is a lucky man to have a son and a rifle like that.

Hope the old gentleman gets that rifle scoped up and kills some game with it this season. cool

Trump Won!
S
S
Regardless, Soothsayers Pop is a lucky man to have a son and a rifle like that.

Hope the old gentleman gets that rifle scoped up and kills some game with it this season. cool

Thank you. My Dad will be 70 in March.
I hid the rifle in a bow rapped case
Behind the xmas tree and brought it
Out as a surprise much like the bbgun
In the film "A christmas story". It's the best christmas my dad has ever had and
The first rifle he received as an xmas gift since 1957. The jubilation and
Surprise he experienced when he opened it is something I'll remember for the rest of my life. My Dad has done a lot for me over the years.

We've shot the gun at the range but
It's too nice to hunt with, it's in the 95-98% range. It shoots great, crisp trigger. Great cartridge, no headspace hysteria here.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very Nice!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Savbage_99: I am happy you are happy with YOUR 358!
The OP Rifle is definitely bogus.
And for your information the "0" as you reference, on fakes is first "filled in" and then restamped "to a 5" in case you have never seen one of these attempts at fakery.
On the several fakes I have seen in person over the last several decades (and ones as recent as last year here at gunshows in SE Idaho and central Montana) they have ALL been filled in, then stamped over - there is no evidence on any I have seen of the "0" like you allude to being visible at all.
These "faked" 358's are still easily discernible both by the obviousness of the "restamp" but other obvious clues like being out of serial number range for an original 358, incorrect stock style etc etc etc.
Sad that anyone would try to make a buck by deceit/forgery.
The 358's I have bought and own were inspected with high powered optical devices EXTREMELY carefully/closely - only then did I move forward to check out the Rifles other defining attributes.
Buyer beware - be VERY aware.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
S
Cabelas has one on gunsinternational with a ketchup red monte carlo comb, worst refinish ever.

Glad I got an authentic one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen some faked Pre 64's where the gunsmith's buddy would do a photoetch of the original stamping and redo the markings on the rifle after gunsmithing and/or modifications were completed and before blue. You would have to be very good and have a good scope to detect it had been faked- but I was shown how to detect this type of fakery.
I will say this gunsmith never tried to pass these off as original pieces- his aim was to make a clone as close to original as possible for his own uses. Not even sure he ever sold any of them.
This is one of the reasons I don't collect Pre 64's, even though I own several of them. Shooter grade for me, as I want something I can hunt with and not cry if it gets scratched, wet, or a bit of rust on the metal....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
485 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.