Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I think one of these in .338 win mag is about the best all around rifle for here in AK.

And I think you are right. Put many miles on the trails with one of those.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have stainless bp .270 that was my first deer rifle and is on SceneKit accurate with 130 and 140 Ballistic tips but for some reason I rarely shoot it anymore. I also have a NIB blued bp 7mm-08 that I got about 5 years ago from a small mom and pop shop for my wife's first deer rifle. Paid the princely sum of $349.99 despite telling the man it was easily worth twice that much. He said he paid $299 for it almost 20 years ago so $50 profit was fine by him.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Fenton
What do those take-off Boat Paddle stocks usually sell for?
I've got one in new factory shape (magnum barrel channel forearm) that I've had for a while.

You should be able to get $100 pretty easily. Long action stuff is the most available. Short action can run upwards of $140 or so.

I've got 2 extra L/A stocks, one standard, and one Magnum. It's also hard to find the original Mk II stainless rifles. Looking for a 338WM and I'm not sure for the other one.

Hard to find the short action stocks for sure, even the ones that already have the rifle.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

Had to chuckle today. Was watching the Keanu Reeves movie "John Wick" off the DVR. In it, a professional assassin portrayed by Willem Defoe uses a Ruger Boat paddle as a sniper rifle. It's even a take-down, split right at the front of the receiver. I about sh*t myself when I was that....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got one on my Whelen, love it!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NMiller
Has anyone put one of those stocks on a Hawkeye? I'm assuming they would fit alright.

.308 Hawkeye, drops right in.

[Linked Image]

Ed
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ugliest, most brutal recoiling stocks of all time! There are few stocks I have as many bad things to say about as the boat paddles and few with as few good...

Combined with the ridiculous 45 degree lug and they created a rifle I want no part of...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Ugliest, most brutal recoiling stocks of all time! There are few stocks I have as many bad things to say about as the boat paddles and few with as few good...

Combined with the ridiculous 45 degree lug and they created a rifle I want no part of...

I don't really care for the boat paddle stocks either, but the rifles? I'll take all the MkII stainless rifles I can afford to buy. Especially in .308, 7mm-08, .260, or .243.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've seen stocks I think are much harder on the eyes and far less functional.

As to recoil, I don't mind mine in .30-06 or .300WM but I did put a Limbsaver on my .338. The Limbsaver made a big difference in perceived recoil.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 308ld
Has anyone put one of those stocks on a Hawkeye? I'm assuming they would fit alright.

[Linked Image]

Very nice. How much weight did you whittle off the metal?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by 308ld

[Linked Image]

Very nice. How much weight did you whittle off the metal?

Not as much as I had hoped. smile As it is 7 lbs. 11 oz. The skeleton stock weights 1oz more than the factory Hawkeye full synthetic (by my fishing scale). laugh Just about 5oz.

Last edited by 308ld; 02/12/17.

Ed
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have the boat paddle in 22. I looked for 4 years to find one in 7mm mag here in Saskatchewan. Finally got it done. Topped with a zeiss with the rapid z reticle. Be nice to shoot gophers all summer with the same model as my go to big game rifle now. Hopefully have it ready for next season if we ever get rid of the snow and a guy can get shooting. Both of them are phenomenal rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to bump an old thread...but there is a Ruger Mark II boat paddle for sale in a local auction coming up next Mon.
It has a 35 Whelen barrel on it. Ruger didn't make a 35 whelen but the barrel looks to to winchester.

What's the max bid you'd do on this one?

https://montana.hibid.com/lot/102462273/ruger-m77-mark-ii-rifle-35-whelen/?q=&ref=watch-list

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sportsdad60
Sorry to bump an old thread...but there is a Ruger Mark II boat paddle for sale in a local auction coming up next Mon.
It has a 35 Whelen barrel on it. Ruger didn't make a 35 whelen but the barrel looks to to winchester.

What's the max bid you'd do on this one?

https://montana.hibid.com/lot/102462273/ruger-m77-mark-ii-rifle-35-whelen/?q=&ref=watch-list

Sorry to hear about that! But I have a Ruger in 35 Whelen, and the dealer I bought it from had 4 more like it!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I believe that rifle is one of the 500 Davidson Special Edition 35 Whelens that Ruger produced about 20 years ago. I bought one, and like three others that I personally knew about, it had an occasional failure to fire issue with factory ammunition. After fighting with this problem for a while, I had a Lija ss barrel with the exact contour and sights installed-problem solved. I killed a few elk with it and retired it to the back of the safe. Someday one of my kids will inherit it and I’ll bet it will kill again.

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you guys!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have two Ruger boat paddles that I bought the year they first came out, in 300WM and 338WM for around $300 each. They both have adjustable open sights. I rarely see open sights on these rifles. Does anyone know how long they made open sights on these rifles, or when they stopped equipping them with sights?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Recently picked one up in 7 mag, was well used and dirty. Original owner shot a few deer with it, and alot of bears. Cleaned it up and gave the stock a paint job, in hopes of selling it at an upcoming gun show I have tables at.
But, kinda growing fond of it now, not so sure if I should sell.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 719 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.