Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty interesting.

This is in my area, so I'm paying close attention.

Sometimes we have LOTS of buzzards here. I've seen 250 or more feeding on a single dead hog. Guess they ran out of patience and started killing cattle and calves.

Part of the article...

Johnny Friedel, 73, of Hochheim, had cattle in DeWitt County on more than 700 acres. About five years ago, he lost about 70 cattle to vultures. He went through the permitting process and was allowed to kill 100 vultures that year.

The permit lasted for about a year. Friedel might get another one because he has been having problems with vultures recently.

When he got the permit, federal officials came out to survey his problem and taught him how to build a trap to catch and kill live vultures.

Finding his cows dead was devastating to him.

"It wasn't a pretty sight. We were right next to a buzzard roost. It was a radar tower or some transformer," he said.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2017/feb/19/vultures-kill-calves-during-birthing/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Are these the Turkey Vultures?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We have both down here.

Turkey vultures and black vultures.

Usually, I see more black ones.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Vultures were targets of opportunity until the Feds started protecting them.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The feds protect many, many things that they shouldn't.

I think the moral of this story is to not let them roost close to your place.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, rockinbar, are both vultures killers?

Here, the turkey vultures seem to be scavengers.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
So, rockinbar, are both vultures killers?

Here, the turkey vultures seem to be scavengers.

I've personally not seen them kill cattle. I can see how they would during calving if they don't have enough to eat, and there are lots of vultures.

I have seen turkey vultures kill newborn lambs before.

I think the black vultures are more aggressive.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem here is not with the turkey buzzards, but the black vultures. They are much more aggressive than the turkey buzzard. I had them try to get on a baby calf last year, and shot a couple of them. The rest left and I didn't have any problems after that.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A Canadian friend told me he blames the loss of a white fluffy cat on a bald eagle.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I remember I had a great uncle who ranched up by Whitney Tx. Close to Brazos river. He had a "buzzard trap" up on one of them old baldy hills. He raised a lot of mohair goats. He'd trap a bunch of buzzards and get in trap and beat hell out of em all with a cedar fence stay.

Braver man than I!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/19/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I remember I had a great uncle who ranched up by Whitney Tx. Close to Brazos river. He had a "buzzard trap" up on one of them old baldy hills. He raised a lot of mohair goats. He'd trap a bunch of buzzards and get in trap and beat hell out of em all with a cedar fence stay.

Braver man than I!

That'd be worth the price of admission! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Braver man than I!

That'd be worth the price of admission! grin

Yeah I had a cousin that would tell The absolute funniest story about his session of buzzard killin' with Uncle Ernest! LOL

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder how many fawn deer are killed by eagles/vultures have you guys ever seen that?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 673
I wonder how many fawn deer are killed by eagles/vultures have you guys ever seen that?

Fawns killed by eagles, yes.

Not found any evidence that vultures have killed one though. I'm sure they have.. just not run across it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by 673

Fawns killed by eagles, yes.

Not found any evidence that vultures have killed one though. I'm sure they have.. just not run across it.

Thanks for the info, never thought about it before but it makes sense if they take out calves.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Must be killing new born calves. I don't see them able to kill a cow or a calf that has been around for a few days.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As if I don't have enough to worry about between mountain lions, Bobcats, coyotes, Ravens, feral dogs and now vultures

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stantdm
Must be killing new born calves. I don't see them able to kill a cow or a calf that has been around for a few days.

My neighbor lost several calves last year to the black vultures, aka "Mexican Vultures". She said that they will watch a cow calve and shortly after birth, fly down and peck it's eyes out. With no ability to see, they die pretty quickly since they can't find the cow.

I looked into getting a permit to shoot them for her but discovered that, while I could get the permit fairly easy, I could only use a shotgun and I had to turn every carcass over to a district station that was set up to take them. Apparently, not all APHIS stations are.

According to the website, the closest one to me is Albuquerque, NM.
So much for that idea as it's a 12 hour drive one way to Albuquerque.

Someone once told me about SSS, so I passed that along to her.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I looked into getting a permit to shoot them for her but discovered that, while I could get the permit fairly easy, I could only use a shotgun and I had to turn every carcass over to a district station that was set up to take them.

You can get a permit here through Farm Bureau. Not sure how it works as most farmers are like me....they use the SSS permit.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ed too many letters described it perfectly. I know of at least one calf that was killed by vultures or Ravens that way. Nature can be very cruel.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buzzards on my neighbors fence:

[Linked Image][/URL]

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If a guy moved about ten feet to the left he could them all with one shot of 3" 00.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buzzards don't bother me it's the coyotes and bobcats that bother me. And actually the neighbor and his daughter brought out there slingshots and started hitting them.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If a vulture dies, whether by natural causes or otherwise, do other vultures eat the dead one? Or are there some things too repulsive for even a vulture to dine on?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stantdm
Fresh newborns are the most vulnerable targets. Usually if a calf is born in the early night he will be up and going enough to be out of danger. The black headed smaller vulture is the culprit. The turkey buzzard not so much. In our area if action is not taken a herd will be constantly threatened by vultures. They are vicious and you will find 30 or 40 surrounding a cow with a new calf. The cow ends up trampling the calf while fighting buzzards. They can be convinced to stay away, although that lesson has to be reinforced from time to time. Next biggest problem is the neighborhood dogs wanting to pack up and resume their ancestral behavior. There is only one solution to that.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Know what you call more than 2 dogs together?? TARGET PRACTICE

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Or one dog, when calving I don't give a fuuck.

Shoot the sonuvabitch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually I'm a softy and HATE to shoot a dog but sometimes there is no other choice with a repeat offender.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sam I was out of touch with the internet for a while, so what happened with the white dog? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Miles, he was recently adopted.

Hopefully it works out.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We never had black vultures until a few years ago.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Couple of years ago my wife and I found a young bull in the back of our place that had gotten through the fence, but was really sickly looking. A bunch of black buzzards had him surrounded, and seemed to be waiting for him to die - or maybe getting ready to help him die? I mentioned this to the biologist on a Wildlife Management Area not too far from us, and he said he saw several buzzards on a cow that had gotten weak and went down, and they were going for her eyes. Same summer a farmer in the next county - Matagorda - got arrested for shooting buzzards, paper said he claimed they were killing calves.

Mike

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Couple of years ago my wife and I found a young bull in the back of our place that had gotten through the fence, but was really sickly looking. A bunch of black buzzards had him surrounded, and seemed to be waiting for him to die - or maybe getting ready to help him die? I mentioned this to the biologist on a Wildlife Management Area not too far from us, and he said he saw several buzzards on a cow that had gotten weak and went down, and they were going for her eyes. Same summer a farmer in the next county - Matagorda - got arrested for shooting buzzards, paper said he claimed they were killing calves.

Mike

He wasn't doing it right.

There are lots of protected predators that will put you out of nearly any agriculture business. The trick is to know how and when. SSS only works if you follow the last "s"... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a cow to calve early yesterday morning. I had checked on her and the calf right before we left for church. Got home and had lunch, and I happened to walk outside and heard a cow bawling like crazy. Looked down toward the creek, and she was surrounded by vultures trying to get her afterbirth, which was still hanging out. She was fighting them. and one was also apparently trying to get on the calf. I grabbed a rifle, and by the time I got to gate, she was running away from them. One paid for his crime, the others stayed clear after that.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
wow, i thought they don't kill/hunt but feed on dead animals, this is my first times hearing that they are killing turkey and calf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we're calving, there's not a vulture within 500 miles of here. March/April.

1Minute
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P

Mike

i wonder why the feds are protecting vultures,

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman1k

Mike

i wonder why the feds are protecting vultures,

They protect most all birds. Just a very few exceptions. English Sparrow and couple of others. The rest are mostly protected or regulated.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 50 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,520
Posts18,452,713
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.