Print Thread
Hop To
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Ok guys just asking me and a few friends have a place leased to duck hunt. Great area to plant corn and millet and flood it. We want to know if we could plant some sunflowers Andy hunt doves before duck season. We are scared of getting fined for baiting
So any thoughts or ideas

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You see a lot of dove hunters shooting over sunflowers that I'll bet were planted for hunting purposes and they're not getting fined. I always thought a baited field was grain, millet, seeds, etc. spread over the field but not growing there. I'd ask your state's Fish & Game dept. to be sure. What's considered a baited field probably varies some from state to state.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You have to be very careful!
You can hunt over the sunflowers, but they can't be manipulated, or your duck hunting is over. Which is more important to you? Ask your local conservation officer on his/her interpretation of the rules.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sunflower would have to be either left alone, or harvested, for waterfowl to be hunted there. key is a normal planting or harvesting manipulation.

for doves, it could be mowed, disked, burned.... does not have to be a plant/harvest operation.

but as duckcall says... ask first

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Missouri DNR plants sunflowers for dove hunting on conservation lands. Usually between strips of wheat. Then a combination of mowing, discing, and burning takes place. Its like WWIII on opening morning usually, guys every 15 yards.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Bring in a couple loads of chewed up asphalt and dump them in a pile near your water source this Spring so the doves get used to frequenting it before the season. They LOVE that stuff and come Fall you can sit right on top of the pile and shoot 'em as they pass by to see what you're doing! cool
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A friend of mine plants brown top millet around his pond to attract dove and deer.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think some of the above posts are correct. Slightly different rules on baiting for doves and ducks. What is legal for one, may not be for the other. I have little luck trying to attract doves as there are just too many acres of corn not far from me, that is cut just before dove season. They can just drop out of the sky about anywhere and start feeding. Same with water, it is everywhere. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I suggested sunflowers to my friend but he'd already committed to millet.

For some reason there were no doves around here the past two years. Bought two boxes of shells and haven't fired a shot.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have tried sunflowers and had luck with them until the wholesale move to corn in the area. Farmers now want speed and don't seem to care how much goes out the back. After a rain and you can see it sprouting, I figure at least 10 bushels per acre out the back, maybe more. But they do get over a lot of ground, fast. miles

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Where they planting rice before? Or were they soy bean farmers?

Last edited by websterparish47; 03/01/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lot of rice with soybeans as a rotation crop along with wheat. Dove don't flock to rice fields although they will eat it if nothing else is around. miles

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by websterparish47

For some reason there were no doves around here the past two years. Bought two boxes of shells and haven't fired a shot.

What about adding a couple loads of road gravel? You could use on the way in/out if you don't like the results...but I'd be surprised if it didn't attract doves for you!
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen them really pour into freshly disked fields, in late season especially. open their crops, and they are half full of dirt and half weed seeds

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
supposedly gravel at home to be considered bait as they flock to it for the grit.... IE I can't put it by my pond as I'd wanted to...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
393 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 37 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.