-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i've used a bunch of store bought seasoning to make breakfast sausage. i have not tried mixing my own but i am considering doing it. i've used morton sausage & meatloaf seasoning for years and they have stopped making it.from what i'm hearing they stopped making there sugar cure also.

i used legg's seasoning a few weeks ago and mixed it with the last of my mortons. it came out pretty good.some say lem's seasoning is very close to mortons,i may have to try it.

GB1

W
W
The Morton sausage and meatloaf is all we ever used for breakfast sausage and unfortunately they have discontinued it. We always mixed 20 pounds sausage to one full container of Morton sausage seasoning. Thanks for pointing out the LEM I see they have a sausage and meatloaf #9139 which has the same exact spices in it as the Morton so I will definitely be ordering some to try. The LEM doesn't have any reviews that I seen but we have four hogs to butcher next weekend and only have 9 bottles of Morton so I'm gonna order some from them. We do use the Leggs seasoning for the hot dinner sausages and it's good stuff.

Last edited by westernMDhunter; 02/08/17. Reason: Changed product #
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rebel butcher supply out of MS makes some good breakfast sausage seasoning. Used it in some deer/wild pig sausage I ground. Not sure if they have a web site to order from.

Just googled it.

rebel butcher supply

Last edited by BigDave39355; 02/08/17.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using PS Seasoning. I really like their maple breakfast sausage seasoning.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like Old Mansion Seasoning. It's for sale at Rockingham Co-Op. The package calls for 1 pack per 45 lbs of meat. I like it better with about 60 is of meat. or you can weigh it out and use as you prefer

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For U.S. breakfast sausage, the main flavor is sage. Naturally add salt and black pepper, maybe even red pepper flakes. If you want it a bit Italian, you can add some fennel seeds. If you like sweet, real maple syrup or brown sugar. I never buy premix anything. Amish have bulk spiced here so it is super inexpensive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 15 lbs of meat, 4 tablespoons of salt, 4 tablespoons sage, and 4 tablespoons red pepper flakes. Mix meat and seasoning before grinding. The taste will vary depending on the strength of the spices. Also usually use rubbed sage and pepper is cayenne we raise and grind ourselves.

This is a good basic breakfast sausage recipe to start with. Add more of this and that for your taste.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been making sausage for a couple of decades+. Just finished making up 180# from the recent deer season.
Tend to avoid pre packed seasoning as so many have MSG and/ or high fructose.
I have used many, many recipe books over the years. Two stand out.
Sausage Season by Eileen Clarke, one she calls Bright Eyed Breakfast sausage is remarkable. Her explanation of the mechanics, chemistry and physics, that contribute to an excellent sausage, make this book irreplaceable.
Complete Sausage Book by Bruce Aidells, many good++ recipes, with Yankee Sage making a superb breakfast sausage.
Did about 40# of each of these this year, with the balance spread amoung 5 other blends.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I use Rebel Butcher Supply also. Every one that has tried the sausage likes it!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Recently was recommended Witts by a professional custom meat market. Was also recommended by a friend so I used what I purchased from the Pro. It worked out just perfect following the package directions and a fifty-fifty mix of deer to pork butt. Google it: Witts sausage
seasonings.

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I order all mine online from Bucher Packer. Castings as well.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.