Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
For truck camping I have a Sealy Posturepedic, single width. My buddies always give me crap when I pull it out of the truck, but then they change their minds when I'm the first one sawing logs at night. They gaze longingly, but I just tell 'em I'm not CFVA so bug off.

I did appreciate that advance warning system of yours before changing your Depends each night, last thing I wanted to see was old man junk.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I sleep in the raw, you were just playing grab-ass.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
For truck camping, I use the REI Coop Camp Bed 3.5 Sleeping Pad. It is very comfortable but too bulky for backpacking. For backpacking, I have a Thermarest RidgeRest but need to pair it with an inflatable. Haven't decided on which one yet. I don't like noisy pads. Had an inflatable pillow that was noisy and didn't even use it an entire night before tossing it aside.
It's hard to beat an old down pillow. Shake the down to 1 end and cut it off. It cuts the pack size and it's nice and soft.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
For truck camping, I use the REI Coop Camp Bed 3.5 Sleeping Pad. It is very comfortable but too bulky for backpacking. For backpacking, I have a Thermarest RidgeRest but need to pair it with an inflatable. Haven't decided on which one yet. I don't like noisy pads. Had an inflatable pillow that was noisy and didn't even use it an entire night before tossing it aside.
It's hard to beat an old down pillow. Shake the down to 1 end and cut it off. It cuts the pack size and it's nice and soft.

I've got a Therm-a-Rest Compressible pillow that works pretty good I've been using, but that's an option I hadn't considered. As for a backpacking inflatable sleeping pad, I'm considering the Klymit Static V sleeping pad . They make them with and without insulation and seem to get pretty good reviews. They're also much cheaper than all the other backpacking brands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Klymit has some nice light and easy to inflate pads for backpacking...If I can spare the weight, the REI insulated Air Rail has been super dependable, and warm in colder temps

No Farmers---No Food
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have both long and short ridgerests and a couple of the short thermorests as I seem to keep buying a new one every time there is a lighter variant.

I generally prefer sleeping on the inflatables but until the neoair, I trended to a short ridgerest (trimmed a bit to save even more weight) just because it was lighter than the inflatable. The neoair is close enough in weight that its a tough choice.

So in moderate temps, its likely to be the neoair, and in the cold I am likely to run the long ridge rest and the neoair

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got two Neoairs and love them. In colder temps I pack along an Evazote pad that goes over the top. My old Ridgerest's and Z Rest's are covered in dust.

The Neoair, like the Jetboil, are two of the best innovations of the last ten years IMO.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the Xtherm and its warmth is incredible.

What I don't like about it is I am a side sleeper and like to curl up into a ball. For this, the regular Xtherms are too narrow for me. I looked into the wide/Max Xtherms but they are north of $220.

What I got instead is the Exped Synmat Winterlite in size "M Wide" that is very comparable to the Xtherm max line in terms of weight, width and R value but costs $100 less.

http://sectionhiker.com/exped-synmat-winterlite-sleeping-pad-review/

The Exped is actually wider than the Max by an inch. The extra width from a regular, 20" pad does not seem like much on paper but it is a huge difference for me when in actual use - nonlonger feeling like I am sleeping on a 2x4.

Last edited by alukban; 03/05/17.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Brad which Neoair model do you have and are they quite?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by handwerk
Brad which Neoair model do you have and are they quite?

Randy, my hunting Neoair is the first Gen Rectangular in size Large. My hunting tent is the MSR Hubba HP (only available in the EU), and the big, rectangular Neoair fits the interior of that tent exactly, side-to-side, keeping me in place. It's just more comfortable than a smaller pad on the long fall tent-bound nights. It weigh's 17.1 oz's, 77" x 25" x 2.5"

My summer backpacking pad is the newest gen Neoair XLite in size "Regualr." This is the newer "shaped" Neoair. It is 5.1 oz's lest than my older Gen 1 in size Large.

I've never gotten the "noise" complaint about the Neoair. My original is the one people complained about, but once you use them most of that goes away. Regardless, I found it to be internet nit-picking by bored first-world hipsters.

The newest Gen has little to no noise.

For an all-around hunting pad I'd get the Neoair X-Therm in size Large. I plan on getting one this year.

But for a bit less weight, the Neoair X-Lite in size Large will be just fine, and you can always pack an additional 1/4" Evazote pad to boost its R-Value for genuine cold. That's what I currently do, though the past couple hunts have been warm enough I left the Evazote at home. You'll save 4oz's/$40 with the Large X-Lite over the X-Therm. I'd stay away from the "SV" models (Speed Valve)... an awful lot of complaints about leaks with those.

And BTW, you'll find a lot of people that think the closed cell pad should go underneath the inflatable... I've tried it both ways, and definitely have found it warmer on TOP of the inflatable.

Evazote: http://gossamergear.com/thinlight-hammock-pad.html

And don't forget Memorial day sales are coming up...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Great info Brad, thanks much!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You bet Randy. And, nice thing about buying from Cascade Designs is it's US built (mostly) and has about the best warranty out there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do not mean to be wise ass,
but even if hauling top of the line from REI
really prefer two cool pad saddle blankets
as long as they are half way clean.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
I like the Thermarest Neoairs, on top of a ridge rest. The Neoairs pack down really small, on the order of a 1-liter Nalgene bottle. The ridgerest doesn't but it can ride outside the pack, on the side or underneath. Underneath is good in that it protects the bottom of your pack when you sit down.

That's exactly what I use as well. I pack the Neoair in the pack, and the Thermarest wraps around my tent and goes under my pack lid--never damaged one. I am 49 years old and have backpacked countless times, using only a Thermarest (or, further back, a different foam pad). But a couple of years ago, I started carrying a Neoair as well. I will never go back. I now often can sleep all night without waking up. Before, on just the foam pad, I was constantly turning over and having to squirm around in my mummy bag to get comfortable. I do have to carry another 16-ozs of weight, which I was reluctant to do, but now I am much more rested, alert, and happy during the day (especially important on hunts). As I get older, I always am looking for ways to shave weight, but I will never go backpacking or backpack hunting again without a lightweight air mattress.

Last edited by MarineHawk; 04/19/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 72 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.