Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I am in a crowded suburb of Seattle.
I watch videos of trappers in Northern Canada.
I think I am doing well, considering where I am.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They seem to run in pairs,bait up and catch another.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Can you provide a picture of the fur on a stretcher? A few thousand more and you will have enough for a stunning set of earmuffs.

Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by baldhunter
They seem to run in pairs,bait up and catch another.

You were right. I checked my trap line this morning. The one in the crawl space of the split basement was empty again. But the one upstairs outside in the shop had a mouse in it. Two days in a row:)

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I got a third one in the shop.

I ordered a dozen mouse traps. I just can't go on with the wrong equipment, using rat traps.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do the rat traps over-penetrate?

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The traps are failing to go off 60% of the time, and all the peanut butter is gone.

Just a sec.. I will check my trap line.

Yes my downstairs bait has been stolen. It is rat trap that does not trigger with mice. It did bite ME once, I am looking at the scab:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AZJK46

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A lot of liberals would look good in those traps jmo

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good deal on all the Democrats you are catching in your traps

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I just checked my trap line. I have pulled the basement trap, so there is just one set in the shop.

I took a before and after pic of the trap. Look how much peanut butter the mouse can eat off a rat trap before he gets caught.

As soon as my hair trigger MOUSE traps arrive from Amazon, things will change.

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
too much bait.

Just fill that divit.

If needed, push a dime sized piece metal screen on it to make the f'er work it out.

They'll rotate all sorts of ways around it and set that thing off toot sweet.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I used to live in a hog barn. Needless to say, we had just a FEW mice in the apartment.

As college students will do, we set up a competition to see who could catch the most mice. A case of beer to the winner.

I ended up winning. I used standard mouse traps baited with cheese that I sat out for a day or so to dry and harden a bit. Then tie the cheese to the trigger with just a little slack. Mouse will nibble and eat a bit, and then, when he decides to try and take it with him, the string comes taught and bam. This set up, by far, caught more mice successfully as determined by number of dead mice and fewer baits taken with trap not triggered.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You are using way too much bait.

NRA Patron
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I smear peanut butter into a small strip of a rag and tie it on the trigger. Works great.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wonder if that Rat trap will work on a Vole? We had one here a couple of years ago, and the damn thing was killing my shrubs by eating the roots. I tried a couple of Rat Sticky traps, but he threw it off. I killed the last one I think with poison. I put it out and it was gone, but it took a while. Well, I've got one again. I might have to try some of them rat traps.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had a mouse problem in my garage. Baited four new wooden Victor mouse traps and came up empty several days in a row. First the cheese was nibbled off, then the peanut butter licked off.

Looked on the website for victor and found out mice love chocolate. My daughter offered to melt some chocolate chips and load the traps. After the chocolate cooled on the trigger, it wouldn't come off. Microwave the chips just long enough that they just melt. Apply to trigger.

Caught 4 mice in and hour and the other 4 by morning. Every trap had a mouse. The chocolate had light teeth marks, but was largely still there. Too hard for the mice to get a good bite. Best part is the chocolate is still working a year later. I catch a mouse every now and then and reset the trap.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Wax or speed dip? You should consider running a fly trap line this summer Clark!

Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

My sensitive trigger mouse traps arrived yesterday. I have been using big rat traps, that sometimes do not trigger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYRN511

The two top traps had been working in the shop.

But the mouse on the bottom has been eluding me for weeks.
Notice how he got all the peanut butter off the new sensitive trap before being caught.
The trap falls off a ledge, so no other mice got to the bait after he died.
A mouse can beat me for weeks, but in the end.....

Originally Posted by Clarkm
The traps are failing to go off 60% of the time, and all the peanut butter is gone.

Here's a Swedish mouse trap thats pretty good...
The mouse cant get the bait without getting trapped.
[Linked Image]

http://www.clasohlson.com/se/Musf%C3%A4llan-Mj%C3%B6lner/34-5202

Regards Mike

Last edited by PISTOLMIKE; 04/13/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fond of this one. Best has been about 8 in one night. Tough sleeping though with all that squeaking for help through the night. At least they are clean though when one starts working them up.

If the water freezes though, they can jump out.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 04/14/17.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
279 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.