Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Horses are always good idea.

That east side of the Sangres is a lot steeper/rougher than the west side.
So would you be going in towards Horn Lake?

A rangerette made me leave Alvarado one time several years ago because I had horses.Said I had to tie them at least 100 yards outside the campground.She was obviously a dirt biker because they were joy riding all over the campground and there were signs every where,no dirt bikes

SS,
25 years ago I drew archery sheep tags twice in three years in the Sangre unit. The drainages we hiked there was no way a guy could get a horse in there. A couple other sheep hunters used pack goats smirk and twice they had to unload the goats to get through some tricky spots.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Horses are always good idea.

That east side of the Sangres is a lot steeper/rougher than the west side.
So would you be going in towards Horn Lake?

A rangerette made me leave Alvarado one time several years ago because I had horses.Said I had to tie them at least 100 yards outside the campground.She was obviously a dirt biker because they were joy riding all over the campground and there were signs every where,no dirt bikes

SS,
25 years ago I drew archery sheep tags twice in three years in the Sangre unit. The drainages we hiked there was no way a guy could get a horse in there. A couple other sheep hunters used pack goats smirk and twice they had to unload the goats to get through some tricky spots.

Casey

Don't know where you hunted Casey,but in the same time frame,I took two mules up the Mt Shavano trail, the bush whacked north into the drainage that has Shavano Lake . We camped at timber line and we killed two goats up another 1000 feet.

Many times we have ridden into Sand Lake, past Music Pass and did quite a bit of riding north of Medano Pass above timber line. We rode up to Venerable lake ,but didn't go over the top. They have killed a few horses on that pass.

I have ridden into Crestone lake a few times,but it has been awhile.

Probably why I ride mules instead of those short eared affairs, although I admit,there are areas,I can't ride into

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

SS,

Yes, I've ridden enough mules to be impressed with their 4wd characteristics! But the three drainages I was in a guy wouldn't get a burro up there unless he quartered it and carried the pieces up. Two of them had trails part way up (sort of), but one was a choked ravine with no trail whatsoever.

As a teenager I babysat cows in what is now the Uncompahgre wilderness and pushed cow ponies into places I wouldn't put a horse (or mule) into today.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What pack frames were you using? I'm in need or a new one.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
T
SS, Crick,
Sounds like the Sangres hold some formidable country. I guess that is a good thing for the elk, not so much for us.

With the thick forest and rough terrain, would it be a good starting point to wake up early and just start hiking into a draw?? How far in should I go? Stay below or above the apline? If no sign in one draw, should I hike over the ridge to the next draw? I wouldn't mind taking a small camp setup and staying out for a couple days, especially if it means putting me where the elk are before they get there. I'll be out for 2nd rifle in Oct, so i hope there is not too much snow.
I'm excited as hell to get out there!
And thanks for all the info guys. Appreciated.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
TXvince

Starting down low and hiking to where the elk maybe sound s like more of a hike with a gun in your hands. Those questions can't be answered until you figure out where the elk are and how much hunting pressure is in that area. There might be elk right out the back door and there might be elk 4 miles up the canyon.
I have not been in that country for a lot of years,so I can't be a big help.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TxVince

The majority of my elk hunting over the last 17 years has been in units 86 & 861. During that period my family and I have killed 18 elk in those two areas. 5 of them were mine, all cows.

Not one of the 18 was killed on the national forest.

Based on the most recent available statistics, (2015) you have a 13% chance in 86 and an 18% chance in 861. This is for all seasons, sexes and manner of take. For the 2nd rifle in 86 (which is what I assume you are most interested in) you would have a 18% chance of an antlered and a 11% chance of antlerless ... unit wide.

I have seen elk within a quarter mile of my home below Alvarado and from there all the way to the very top of Horn Peak.

I can assure you a public land hunt in those units will not be easy. Not impossible, but far, far from easy.

The short answer to your question is yes, you can day hunt from your cabin. There will be elk within 3-4 miles and on the NF. I've done it. I don't recommend it. Staying in a spike camp at 11,000 feet will give you a great deal of advantage ... because, in my experience most elk are killed just at sunrise or sundown. That's my opinion. (I've also killed a bull at noon while sitting under a tree eating a sandwich) If you are in position at first light your odds of success will vastly increase.

If you want to know more, PM me.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I parked near Alvarado the day I took these photos. I went north on the Rainbow Trail a little ways and hiked one of the ridges that led toward Horn Peak. Glassed the next ridge to the north.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is with a 50x zoom and I've seen them in similar scenarios many times while scouting sheep. You would not see this during hunting season. During the day they would be in a location where they could take full advantage of their eyes, ears, noses. Probably high in steep timber.

I've probably seen more elk in the Sangres than anywhere else. I counted 80 one day while hiking the summit ridge. I've killed only one in the Sangres and it was not on the NF. Much of this will sound a whole lot like what plainview has posted.

I think the Incident Command website may have an accurate map of the fire. You could probably drive near there any morning for a hunt. Conventional wisdom is that a burn should be great hunting a year or two after the fire. One problem with that theory is that the pasture on that valley floor is some of the best in the world - tough to compete with and on most of it they won't get shot at. Plains bison would migrate into that valley each year for that pasture back in the day.

Catch them moving between the hay fields and the cover of NF at dawn or dusk?
That's a good idea too except that the Rainbow trail follows the bottom edge of the NF and creates a sort of no-elk zone from ATV and other traffic. Sure there are some dumb elk and elk make mistakes but they are all smart enough to know the danger of that trail.

I don't want to sound too discouraging. If I had a cabin available to hunt elk I'd be all over that opportunity. I'm one of those guys who'll buy leftover bull tags for 3rd or 4th season when I have like a 1% chance of success just because I think the Sangres are an amazing place to be and the hunt is as fun for me as the kill. I figure you pay your dues in boot leather and sometimes luck comes to the guy who happens to be out there at the time.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What Alamosa has said is correct. In general. Although, the attached photo was taken on the last day of 4th rifle in 2012 within 200 yards of the Rainbow Trail. I bumped a bedded group of 25 at mid-day ... and I wasn't even hunting. So, basically, nothing is impossible, but hard work and luck are about equal for success when rifle hunting elk in the Sangres. His photo is pretty typical of where they are much of the time ... at or above timberline. So, expect to be climbing up to or over 13,000 feet. And carrying one down boned out will take several trips. If you can afford the the time to acclimate it will be time very well spent. The majority of the Sangres above the Rainbow Trail is designated Wilderness and that means foot & horse access only. No bikes, no ATV's ... nothing but boots & saddles. You're unlikely to be hunting private land so you'll spend all your time above 9,000 feet.

The best way I can describe hunting in the Sangre de Cristo's is ... Armed Hiking.

But that's fine. The days you spend there don't count against your allotted lifespan. (So I may very well live an extra century)

[Linked Image]

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
T
T
Originally Posted by plainview
TxVince

The majority of my elk hunting over the last 17 years has been in units 86 & 861. During that period my family and I have killed 18 elk in those two areas. 5 of them were mine, all cows.

Not one of the 18 was killed on the national forest.

Based on the most recent available statistics, (2015) you have a 13% chance in 86 and an 18% chance in 861. This is for all seasons, sexes and manner of take. For the 2nd rifle in 86 (which is what I assume you are most interested in) you would have a 18% chance of an antlered and a 11% chance of antlerless ... unit wide.

I have seen elk within a quarter mile of my home below Alvarado and from there all the way to the very top of Horn Peak.

I can assure you a public land hunt in those units will not be easy. Not impossible, but far, far from easy.

The short answer to your question is yes, you can day hunt from your cabin. There will be elk within 3-4 miles and on the NF. I've done it. I don't recommend it. Staying in a spike camp at 11,000 feet will give you a great deal of advantage ... because, in my experience most elk are killed just at sunrise or sundown. That's my opinion. (I've also killed a bull at noon while sitting under a tree eating a sandwich) If you are in position at first light your odds of success will vastly increase.

If you want to know more, PM me.

Very good info Plain. Its sounds like if you want to take an elk here, you will no doubt have to earn it. Our group will be up for a week to 10 days so we should have some time to acclimate. Lord knows we'll need it.
Awesome pic in the late season. Just goes to show that anything can happen while hunting, no matter how much you plan or think things will unfold a certain way. One of the many enjoyable aspects of hunting. I like the idea of a spike camp. I think it will be the best way to get scouting done too(stay in the woods method). It will give more opportunity to take an elk also, cause I've heard you can't kill an elk sitting at camp!
I'll do some more research and PM you with question if you don't mind. Thank you!

Alamosa, that all sounds good too. Great pics btw! I am also one that likes to lace up and hit the country. It's almost therapeutic. The sangres will be a much bigger challenge than the hills here in TX, but I should be ready....ready enough smirk lol. I'll be sure to check out the map for the burn location. That fresh grass may be gold to elk when food is scarce.

Again, thank you guys so much for the knowledge. I'll have to buy some cold barley soup for y'all when i come up! (beer)

Last edited by TxVince; 02/22/17.
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.