Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Well, I am going to Ontario to hunt moose this fall. I still have some choice in dates. A question: When is the peak of the rut in North Ontario? I gather last week September, 1st of October?

Thanks for any help.

BP-B2

J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I am surprised nobody has input. Never mind then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rut is usually considered to be about the third week in Sept. For years this is the week we chose to hunt in Ontario. A lot depends on the weather, however. If it is warm there likely will not be too much activity.
I have also hunted in mid-October and still had bulls responding well to the call. You might want to look into the average or normal weather conditions found in the area where you plan to hunt and adjust your choice based on that.

Jim

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am wondering just how far North JRK is asking about?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Usually, by the time rifle season opens in our area(WMU 5 & 8), the peak of the rut is past. That's not to say the bulls won't still respond, I've also called them in 2nd & 3rd week of October too.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
How do you call bull moose Paul?

J
JRK Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the input. I am hunting north of Hearst, so fairly far north. I have looked online, most discussion isn't very specific as far as area. I have heard from some that if it is warm, that most activity might occur at night. I can go after Sept 18, was thinking (current schedule) maybe more like 10 days later to be more likely to be past warm weather while still in rut.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hands, mouth & nose !!

Bawling cow calls & mixed with grunts once the intended party seems committed !

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hearst is well east of me, so no real help sorry.

Our rifle season opens beginning of October, so, here, I'd say last 10 days of September would be good (as stated, not rifle season here, so only bow hunters get the peak rut).

Paul.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
How did you learn to call moose Paul?

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I keep a log book on my boat. I have 3 good calling spots for moose in close proximity to some good trout fishing spots. I fish a lot towards the end of the season. Speck season closes on 15th of Sapt and lakers close on the 31st.

According to my records, I called moose out on Sept 20th, 11different years. Earliest I called one out was Aug 26th and latest was Nov 6th.

In my experience they are easiest to fool from Sapt 20th to Sept 25 and they can put on some pretty impressive displays at that time. Earlier and later they wil still come to the call but they tend to sneak in without all the grunting and head wobbling.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard,

Buddy from Thunder Bay, taught me.

It's definitely a rush, when you get one coming, particularly if you're in the thick stuff.

When you hear that first big "crack", back in there, but can't see anything, heart rate hits a million !

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I keep a log book on my boat. I have 3 good calling spots for moose in close proximity to some good trout fishing spots. I fish a lot towards the end of the season. Speck season closes on 15th of Sapt and lakers close on the 31st.

According to my records, I called moose out on Sept 20th, 11different years. Earliest I called one out was Aug 26th and latest was Nov 6th.

In my experience they are easiest to fool from Sapt 20th to Sept 25 and they can put on some pretty impressive displays at that time. Earlier and later they wil still come to the call but they tend to sneak in without all the grunting and head wobbling.

KK, yep for sure, although the smaller, less dominant bulls will still come in grunting & love drunk, later in the season.

Paul.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Somewhat on the same topic, how is the moose population now?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure !

I stopped hunting them 2-3 years ago, when all the "population forced" changes occurred.

If the population was as bad as they said, my belief is the hunt should have been cancelled.

Adult tags for WMU's 8 & 5 were drastically cut. Area 8 went from 500 tags to 10 & then 5. Area 5 tags from 900 to less than 100.

Politically they can not afford to do that. Ontario sells 110,000 calf tags, which you must purchase, to be entered into the draw or an adult tag. 110,000 tags @ $50 = $5,500,00.00 !

Seems I saw an article recently, that said the aerial surveys had been cancelled or interrupted due to "bad weather".

Rant over !

Paul.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks for the information Paul, and as it goes on the "fire", that ain't much of a rant at all.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Lisense money always went into the general fund--the MNR doesn't see any of it and never did.

The MNR submits a budget proposal for what aerial surveys will cost and even if approved by the Ministry of Finance it is one of the first things to get cut in the name austerity.

It seems to me that the tags were cut in every WMU with the possible exception of Cow Tags for 21A. Since the decline in logging activities the access to 21A has been severely restricted.

I used to have several parties rent a cabin from me and I would say over the 1st 3 weeks of the season that amounted to 30 or 40 hunters. Last year I had one party of 3--that's it.

Biggest detriment to killing moose in this area is that late opener--it's really hard to find a moose in this country in November. I own a moose processing shop and used to do over a hundred every year--my best year was 1990 when I did 163.

I had a heart attack last year and while I have recovered I'm still getting old and feeble. Don't hunt as hard as I used to. I didn't kill one last year and I can't remember when that last happened. I only cut up 4--turned a few down on doctors orders but still not that many.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
kkahmann, That number of moose sounds like a lot of meat.
How do, did you cut them? I mean as to steaks, roast, ground, and other cuts?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My father and all my uncles were beef boners and meat cutters--I started cutting meat when I was 8 years old.

I've got a meat saw and grinder, wrapping table and sausage stuffer set in my shop. Trained a lot of young fellers over the years--most of 'em smart enough to stay away from here in the fall of the year.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
2 different ways I process moose--Regular and Native

Regular way is the same as you would process a beef.
Bone the rounds an slice round steak, slice loins into T-bones slice the rib to steak or roll and tie into prime rib roast, slice the chuck into steak or bone roll and tie into blade roast, roll and tie shoulders into cross rib roast, grind trimming into sausage or hamburger.

Native way is to bone entire moose into muscle groups and chunck into 3 or 4lb pieces---wrap and freeze and mark as fast fry. That's done so you can slice it thinly for many native dishes--makes it easier to do when meat is partly thawed out. Trim is cut-up into stew and hamburger or sausage.
Slice the ribs and brisket with bone left in for making barley soup and cut the marrow bones in 2 inch chunks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
626 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.