Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This should be fun.

In a moment of clarity (or weakness), I bought 338rcm's Swarovski 8x30WBs. Regarded by some as one of the finest sets of compact binos on the market, and a pair that I'd not had yet, it'll be nice to try them out.

What they will go up against is a mixed bag of stuff. Gen1 Leupold Yosemite 6x30, Bausch & Lomb Custom 8x36, Fujinon M24 7x28, Swift 825R Eaglet 7x36, Minox 6.5x32 IF. The Fujis are heading off very soon to have the laser filter and perhaps the ranging reticle removed in order to improve the clarity.

Yes, that is a mixed bag. So what? It'll be interesting to see how they stack up against one another. I'll try them out in a wide range of light and field conditions over a good period of time to see what differences are there. Objects viewed will be things that matter to hunters: antlers; game (large and small) and game "pieces" (such as squirrel tails, fox hides, turkey feathers, etc.) at various ranges; birds and waterfowl; bits of hunting clothing (I.e., hats, etc., because sometimes what we are identifying are other hunters); and other such stuff. Sorry, no wild, free-ranging eye charts in this area, so there won't be one stapled to an outhouse 153 meters from the backdoor. I'm not an optics engineer, or some "glass geek"; I just hunt, so the terms and comparisons will be in layman's terms because that's what I know. Also, I do not wear glasses and never have. I've had 20/20 or better vision my whole life. I am due for an eye exam, though.

Results might mean something. Or, not.

A quick check against one another shows the Swaros head and shoulders above the Swifts, a good bit better than the B&Ls, and better than the Leupold and Fujis, but the Minox being surprisingly close. That's just an initial zero-check and dialing at stuff 40m away to about 90m out, so it means little at this point.

In years past, the Minox did extremely well against Leica Trinovids and Ultravids, as well as Nikon SEs, so I won't be surprised if they do well against this assortment including the Swaros.

Last edited by 4ager; 02/21/17.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That Swaro 8x30 is a great one. I loved the ergos and even liked the focus knob on the wrong end. Only thing that constantly bothered me was the short eye relief, but then again I have had trouble with several 8x32 class binocs. Maybe I have a weird face.....

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If anything, I'm finding the eye relief long on the SLCs.

It's getting pretty silly at this point; nothing is keeping up with the Swaros or Minox, and they are CLOSE. It's just a lot of quick peeks at birds and deer and such right now, mostly pre-dawn and post-sunset times with varying cloud cover (you know, when hunters and game are active, right?), but damn.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This should be a helpful testing. Keep up the good work.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm curious about the selection of various binos. From what I can gather you are ranging from $99 (Leupy yosemite) to a $1,000 Swarovski. What are you trying to accomplish? A pat on the back for spending 1k on binos and making it worth it in your mind? I happen to be in the category of the lessor. I love my 6x30 yosemites. I don't think there is a "better pair of glass for the money". In a real world comparison, one that is traveling on foot with the binos on your chest, most likely gathering a hint of dust on the lenses, is a $1,000 bino that much better than a $100 bino? I don't know. Never had the later. So I'm asking. I tend to reason that the $900 difference is not justifiable in a real world situation (maybe somewhere in the middle is). Maybe others can chime in a fulfill me.

No disrespect. I just am relating this to road testing a Ford Focus and a Audi S8.

Last edited by Mgw619; 02/23/17.

You'll shoot your eye out
IC B2

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mgw619
I'm curious about the selection of various binos. From what I can gather you are ranging from $99 (Leupy yosemite) to a $1,000 Swarovski. What are you trying to accomplish? A pat on the back for spending 1k on binos and making it worth it in your mind? I happen to be in the category of the lessor. I love my 6x30 yosemites. I don't think there is a "better pair of glass for the money". In a real world comparison, one that is traveling on foot with the binos on your chest, most likely gathering a hint of dust on the lenses, is a $1,000 bino that much better than a $100 bino? I don't know. Never had the later. So I'm asking. I tend to reason that the $900 difference is not justifiable in a real world situation (maybe somewhere in the middle is). Maybe others can chime in a fulfill me.

No disrespect. I just am relating this to road testing a Ford Focus and a Audi S8.

Selection process was simple - what is in the house.

I don't expect everything to measure up anywhere near equally. In some respects, that's kind of the point. Hell, the entire "test" may not mean anything to anyone, but maybe it might and maybe a thing or two might surprise.

BTW - the most spent was $450, on the Swaros (used). The rest may add up to that, total.

No harm, no foul in the question, nor any intended in the answer.

Last edited by 4ager; 02/24/17.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Any particulars about how you are going to try to get results? I think I remember Mule Deer saying something about a board he made as a test target to view scopes with. Interested to see how things shake out. Keep us posted.

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sean, keep us updated on the results

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you have a pump shack stationed @ 127 yards, complete with a USAF 1951 chart tacked to it?
How about a deer antler hanging in a tree at 131 yards for low light testing?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SKane
Do you have a pump shack stationed @ 127 yards, complete with a USAF 1951 chart tacked to it?

Gotta have these for sure...Grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

You have to stop picking on handicapped people grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

LOL!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 22250rem, 68 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.