Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
After previously thinking that there was nothing I didn't like about my new Ram or even the previous 2005 model I owned, today I came across something I despise about the new ones.

Time to change the two fuel filters, no problems.

Time to change the oil. Son-of-a-b!tch! Oil filter is in the same place on the motor. The problem is, you can no longer get to it from underneath. There is a huge plate of metal welded from one side of the frame to the other that completely covers this area.

Try google. Turns out, the only way to get to it is through a "window" in the passenger-side wheel well. This "window" is barely big enough to get my hand through, much less the filter.

You're supposed to drop the filter, turn it sideways (dumping the oil in the filter everywhere) and pull the filter out sideways through this "window". Keep in mind the window is barely big enough to get the filter through sideways, especially with your hand on it.

I wouldn't quite know yet because the filter socket/wrench broke where the socket wrench attaches. The filter is on so tight that the housing of the filter socket (pot-metal) broke apart. Oh, and because the window is so small, you can only move the socket wrench a few degrees before you have to reset. And, you'll need a cheater pipe just so you can reach the wrench through the window to move it.

Geno's garage website sells a filter cap so that after you drop the old filter, you can screw on this cap and turn the filter sideways to get it out without spilling oil. And, use it so you can fill the new filter and get it in without spilling.

But, man is it a pain in the a$$ to get to. Son-of-a-bi!!tch. That idiot engineer should have to come change my filter every time it's due.

Time to look for a filter relocation kit.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Someone must be making a remote mount filter kit.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Why in the name of anything do you fill the filter??

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How the heck do you attach the cap your talking about to the filter after unscrewing it? Sounds like you can only get one hand in through the "window"

I agree that dodge should have to come over and do it for you.

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by willhunt4
How the heck do you attach the cap your talking about to the filter after unscrewing it? Sounds like you can only get one hand in through the "window"

I agree that dodge should have to come over and do it for you.

According to Gene's website and a video, you hold the cap with one hand, shove it through the window and screw it onto the top of the filter that is now resting on that metal plate below it.

I found another filter socket at the local parts store that was steel and not pot metal. Getting it on the filter while attached to the socket was impossible. Had to get it on the bottom of the filter as best as I could. but, because of the angle that your hand is at inside the window, you don't have enough leverage to push the socket up onto the filter enough to "bite" and stay.

So, you have to start it on there, then I used a long crow bar to push it on the rest of the way. Then, I had to use the tip of my finger on the square fitting at the end to the socket wrench to "feel" it into the hole of the socket.

It all fell several times down into the abyss on the previously mentioned plate, and I squeezed my way each time as far as I could on top of the tire so that my arm could reach through that window and down to where the tools fell. Insert several cuss words after my head got wedged between the top of the tire and the fender-well.

Finally got the socket on, wrench on, cheater bar on and then the filter loose. Before taking the filter all the way off, I put a gallon sized ziplock freezer bag around it. then, finished unscrewing it. Once it dropped down and rested on the plate (in upright position), I sealed the ziplock bag and then pulled the filter out.

I put oil (about 3/4 full) into the new filter. Placed this filter into a new ziplock bag (sealed shut). When I slid it sideways through the window, some oil came out but not much. Put the filter in the upright position and opened the ziplock bag, then began threading the filter back onto the engine. I used a rag to wipe of the oil that got on the outside of the filter while going sideways through the window in the bag.

Got filter hand tight, then repeated the hell I endured before trying to get the filter socket on the bottom of the filter so that I could snug it. Again, not enough room or leverage to turn it with any strength with the one hand in the little window, hence the need for the socket again.

I went ahead and ordered the cap from Geno's so that next time the oil won't spill out of the new filter when inserting it through the window.

Yes, I put oil in my new filters before installation. You don't like it, so what. do your own however the hell you want.

What used to take my 5-10 min tops to do with my old Cummins is now a serious pain in the rear. So, yes, there is something I HATE about the new Ram's. So far, this is the only thing, but my gosh I'd like to kick that engineer's a$$. ha.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, it's a pain in the azz on the newer ones. I've found it easier to remove the intake tube between the turbo and the air filter housing and do it from the top. Easier that is, to do it without making a mess. My '03 was a breeze compared to my '14.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another great reason to keep my '97!!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by badger
Yes, it's a pain in the azz on the newer ones. I've found it easier to remove the intake tube between the turbo and the air filter housing and do it from the top. Easier that is, to do it without making a mess. My '03 was a breeze compared to my '14.

I saw where some folks do it the way you describe, but after looking at the stuff I would have to remove to do it that way, I decided not to. It looked like it would still be tight that way too, even with the air filter housing and lines removed.

So, I decided to try it this way this time. Sounds like either way is a pain. Good thing I don't need to change the oil every 3k, I might consider selling it, ha!

On my '05, I had to replace the water pump in a NAPA parking lot in a podunk town in eastern CO. But, I was still able to do it. Looking at this new one, I'm not sure that I could.

On the plus side, the fuel filters weren't hard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Water pump replacement is more of a pain, but still doable from the top with the complete air box removed. Compared to a Duramax, it's a walk in the park. I'm told the Duramax pump requires a LOT of tear down and about 6-7 hours of shop time. Not something I want to do on the side of the road.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hey Ryan, read the description below on this cap.
It says to pull the tire then change the oil.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taz4570
Another great reason to keep my '97!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If you are smart, you'll keep that 12 valve... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Hey Ryan, read the description below on this cap.
It says to pull the tire then change the oil.

Pulling the tire would might help a little, but it doesn't make the "window" any bigger or any easier to work through. It doesn't even give any more room to work the wrench. It would make it easier to reach things that drop down into the area below the filter though.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Is it possible to cut the hole bigger?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Wouldn't matter if you cut the fender well bigger, there are lines in the way. You would have to reroute them.

With a 2wd truck, you would have to remove the front tire to get to it.

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Will have to do some digging to see if putting a filter relocation kit would affect the warranty. I still have a LOT of warranty left and an extended warranty after that. Don't want to risk them voiding that.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
How about cutting a hole in that plate that is in the way so you can drop the filter straight down?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gentlemen, it's an inconvenience, not an impossibility. An oil change on my old ('03) would take me about half an hour, only because I'm an old fart now and take my time on these things. The new one takes me about 45 minutes, because I do it by removing the top of the air filter housing and the intake tube to the turbo. No big deal. It also allows me to look for any leaks from the turbo area and the exhaust side of the motor with those parts removed.

R
RyanTX Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Oh, I know Badger. This was just one of those weeks where multiple "crap" things happened and this was the straw.

It is a huge pain in the butt compared to previous models. And, a factory filter relocation would've been nice. Or, a removable plate from beneath. Oh well. Before too long, they may have them where we can't do anything to them ourselves.

When I bought my '05, they had a promotion of "free oil changes for life". I never used it because the dealership was 110 miles round trip and it was easier to just do it myself. Now, I wish they had the same promo. Ha.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm not a dodge owner, but a gmc/Chevrolet owner for years. I though this thread was going to be about the "death wobble" from the title. Has dodge figured that out yet? I've seen some videos that were pretty damn scary of said wobble.

You'll shoot your eye out
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 86 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.