Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by tkinak
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

VX-6 is a great scope below $1K, gets lost in the crowd at $2K.

DF

This ^^^ Leopold may have screwed the pooch, and themselves dropping the VX6, and going only with HD designated models.

They have a plan. grin

The VX-6 HD is to compete with the Kraut Alpha glass.

Something else is coming to fill the hole in the lineup.

Any votes? VX-4 or VX-5 smile

I do really like my VX-6's but ctan't see myself forking out double for an HD.

VX5 gets my vote.

I remember the VX-7 that went no where, so who knows.

Leupold will find a way to have the most confusing model line up in the industry. They have a good start on that, already.

DF

GB1

B
B
Picked up a non-HD 2-12 on closeout...have yet to look through the HD version but really pleased with what I've got at half the price

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
HD version may be better, but no way can it be twice as good as the one you got. And, it'll cost twice as much.

Don't miss out on this closeout. I think this is a better deal than the Zeiss Conquest close out below $300. I got a couple of those around $265-275.

I see non-illuminated VX-6's as low as $650. Check Ebay.

The VX-6 Duplex is so good, you really don't need the Firedot, although it's nice to have. Those are running closer to $800.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The closeout prices are a tremendous value on the VX-6s.

The VX-6 HD is $300 plus or minus more than standard VX-6 before the discounts for closing out.

For that you get upgraded glass, upgraded erector system, illuminated reticle, cat tail, and better looking reticle vs the Firedot reticles.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

The VX-6 HD is $300 plus or minus more than standard VX-6 before the discounts for closing out.

For that you get upgraded glass, upgraded erector system, illuminated reticle, cat tail, and better looking reticle vs the Firedot reticles.

John what did Leupold do to upgrade the erector system?

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am looking at the VX-6HD 3-18x44. I only received it last week, so it is still early, but I am pretty impressed so far. Nice package, good glass and very well engineered turrets.
Initial tracking tests are looking good.

The one I have has the Impact 29 reticle, which is pretty useful for longer distances as long as you keep track of the magnification (SFP scope).

ILya

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by koshkin
I am looking at the VX-6HD 3-18x44. I only received it last week, so it is still early, but I am pretty impressed so far. Nice package, good glass and very well engineered turrets.

The one I have has the Impact 29 reticle, which is pretty useful for longer distances as long as you keep track of the magnification (SFP scope).

ILya

How much better is HD glass vs pre-HD VX-6 glass?

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd like to know how much better they are though, I will be getting a 2-12x42 this year for a new rifle, can't decide on VX-6 vs VX-6HD. It is also worth noting the HD's include alumina caps, which I consider essential. They are about $110 purchased separately.

O
oldguns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Ilya..thank you for your early evaluation of the VX-6 "HD". Please post again as you evaluate it more thoroughly.

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by koshkin

ILya

How much better is HD glass vs pre-HD VX-6 glass?

DF

Hard to say for sure at this stage. The CA is better controlled, but if you are looking for something with a day and night difference, I do not think this is going to be it. It is better though.

The turret design, however, is one of my favourite ones to date from Leupold. They are low with a good click feel and they lock at zero. There is a tactile indicator that tells me whether I am on a first or second rotation. Honestly, if they made a FFP version of this scope and kept it under $2k, they would absolutely own the precision AR market.

As is, it is really designed to appeal to people who are willing to take fairly long shots, but do not want to drag a large scope with them. That's why there is an electronic level built-in and that is why the turrets are designed the way they are.

So far, I like it a lot and unless it craps out on me, I will likely buy it from Leupold.

ILya

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Just to follow-up a bit: I am taking my sweet time with this scope, so there is more to do.

However, I like it and like it a lot. Optically, it is not a significant improvement over the VX-6, but the contrast is a little better. Resolution is about the same. Flare control is as good or a little better. I will do a more detailed comparison with some other companies' designs a little later. The two that I have on hand are Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 and Docter V6 2-12x50. I have some higher end tactical scopes on hand, but I do not think the VX6HD was designed to go up against them. For what it worth, Tangent Theta TT315M and Minox ZP5 3-15x50 are significantly better, but then again, they are $3k.

I am about to start looking at the optics in ernest shortly, but so far, I have really been exercising the turrets. They are consistent and seem accurate to within my ability to shoot. I will also work them out off the rifle as I go along.

ILya

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A drunk orangutan could get a reticle straight to within 5 degrees

If you can get video of one trying, I'd love to see it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
A drunk orangutan could get a reticle straight to within 5 degrees

If you can get video of one trying, I'd love to see it.

I'm not ready to buy into the integrated or aftermarket optic level.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The integrated level can be turned off if you do not need it. For longer shots, it is a nice thing to have.

ILya

O
oldguns Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Ilya..thanks for post

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got my 3-18x44 firedot in today. The zero lock turrets are awesome and my hopes were realized, the clicks are MUCH more positive than the original VX-6's. They've also addressed the issue of the gold emblems falling off the alumina caps (I've had that happen twice) by the new ones simply having them printed on. The glass is superb. I was able to turn the parallax down and read the words on the binders of magazines (field and streams and such) at 3-4x from 10 ft away sitting on my living room couch. Two negatives that I've already rattled off an email to Leupold CS about: 1) The throw lever was not in the box even though the install wrench was and 2) The manual says the alumina caps were installed but not tightened at the factory to allow adjustment of the eyepiece focus. Mine was put on by a gorrilla. I had to put a blanket over the hinge of the eyepiece cover and simultaneously maintain a strong grip on the slim eyepiece focus and tap the hinge pretty good a few times to get it loose so I could set it properly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, I did have a VX3-L and a VX-6 at the same time and the glass improvement while noticeable between the two was marginal. At dusk tonight I compared a 3.5-10x40 VX-3i to the VX-6HD and the HD blew it away. The resolution at the same powers was not even close. Just wanted to add this for anyone looking for info, it's scarce right now. I'll be curious to see where the VX-5HD falls in that spectrum. I still think a VX-3i is incredible bang for the buck, considering I paid $315 for the 3.5-10x40 new it is wonderful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am in the market for the VX-6 in a 3-18x44 if anyone knows of one that's available.

thanks,
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, Akhutr, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.