Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC

For twenty years I used 150 grain cup & core 30-06 bullets and killed a bunch of elk. But one day it took three shots in the chest at close range to drop a cow elk. She just stood there while I pumped rounds into her lungs. She was so close that I could see the hair raise and the muscles twitch each time a bullet hit her. That's not the kind of performance that I wanted so I switched to 30-06, 180 grain Nosler Partitions. That was twenty years ago and there have been no problems with that bullet.

KC

I've had that happen, too. I'm betting that on the 1st shot, she went into shock. When the blood pressure drops fast, the NCS pretty much freezes up and they just stand there oblivious to everything until the rest of the system fails. It's not the size or type of bullet. It's where it hits that does it. It's a sure killer but it fools you. It would take a trauma team to keep one alive at that point.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about the 150 monos moving at 3k-ish MV?

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shot a good sized cow at about 100 yards last year with a 150gr TTSX out of an -06 (Barnes factory loading), advertised at just shy of 3k MV. Slight quartering away shot, complete pass through. Took out the back shoulder on it's way out. She went about 40 yards and death rolled down the hillside.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
Is there any major disadvantage to using 150 grain bullets for elk hunting. It seems the .308 users like them but the consensus is that 165 and 180 grains are the Holy Grail for the odd6. Seeing is that they are closely related is there a disadvantage?

To the OP,

Type of bullet matters more than weight. If you go 150 (which is heavier than the bullets I used on my most recent two bulls) go Partition or Accubond. Elk aren't armor plated. Practice shooting and shoot them in the lungs, you'll have a dead elk.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I shot a good sized cow at about 100 yards last year with a 150gr TTSX out of an -06 (Barnes factory loading), advertised at just shy of 3k MV. Slight quartering away shot, complete pass through. Took out the back shoulder on it's way out. She went about 40 yards and death rolled down the hillside.

This would certainly be my choice if I were to use a 150 grain bullet from a 30 caliber rifle on elk.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A 165gr Nosler Partition at 2800fps out of '06 is about as deadly a combination as can be found. In a lot of years of hunting I never had a failure or a chase with that combination.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Still learning about bullet construction, what is a core-lok from Remington? Is that the remington version of a accubond or partition?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Still learning about bullet construction, what is a core-lok from Remington? Is that the remington version of a accubond or partition?

If memory serves its core is locked with the cannelure ring. So no the partition has a divided jacket with a lead heal and lead point and the accuboom is a cup and core type design with the core glued in.

Last edited by fredIII; 03/07/17.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot 168 TTSX.
here is how I look at it.
06 has enough powder for 165/8 and 180s.
308 win stay with 150,
300 win mag 180+

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The OP wants another rifle. He's got a 270 already, the step up to 30-06 isn't that much. If he wants more I'd say step up to the 300WM. You can always sell it if you decide it's too much. You don't tell us much about your hunting experience, and shooting experience. If you have a friend with a 300WM borrow it and shoot it. Sometimes need has nothing to do with it. I just like certain cartridges that I consider classics. I also tend to like the heavy for caliber bullets they come in. Simple as that. Get what you want. Go hunt and have fun.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The element of the Kinetic energy formula that is fixed is the bullet weight so the more mass the bullet has the less it depends on speed to retain the power to do damage to the animal. In addition the Ballistic coefficient is usually better in a 180 than in a 150 grain bullet in 30 caliber so physics favors the heavier projectile at all ranges.

In more practical terms heavy bullets pushed pretty hard knock the heck out of stuff and give you greater margin for error. I use a 300 Weatherby to push 180 grain TTSX bullets fast so I get the best performance at longer ranges on elk but they work well at close range too. No substitute for hitting the vitals but use the heaviest bullet that shoots well is almost always good advice.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've put a few elk in the freezer with the basic Remington 165 gr CoreLokt. I use the same bullet in my 30-06 and my son's 308. The only reason I would change is the current availability problem - fortunately, we're fairly well stocked.
I don't recall an elk making it much over ~60 yards after being hit.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
Is there any major disadvantage to using 150 grain bullets for elk hunting. It seems the .308 users like them but the consensus is that 165 and 180 grains are the Holy Grail for the odd6. Seeing is that they are closely related is there a disadvantage?

FWIW, here's a quote from Dogzapper, a guy with one or 2 elk under his belt...

Originally Posted by Dogzapper
Are 165-grain Hornady Interlocked bullets adequate for elk? Yup, I've killed a few score with them; never had an elk need two of them and more elk dropped at the shot than not.

The 150-grain Hornady Interlocked is also an incredible elk-killing bullet. Not a classic elk bullet, perhaps, but if anything I've experienced BETTER KILLS with them than any other bullet ... .30-'06 or .308 Winchester, pick your poison.

Note: Elk killing is considerable different than writing stuff in the gun-funnybooks. Also, frankly, it takes many, many years of elk killing to understand what works, what kinda works and what is gonna leave you following a long blood-trail with quite possibly a horrible evening at the end of it.

The Hornady Interlocked 165s and 150s work very well on elk and I prefer them to the 180s and 190s. (That was the next question and I saved someone from asking it)

Steve

FC

Thanks,
Good info

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Shootsaswede: Based on my experience I would suggest/recommend using the wonderful Nosler 165 grain Partition while Elk Hunting with a 30/06 Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I was guiding elk hunters I always insisted on, heavy for caliber, premium bullets like Nosler partition or Swift A-frames. Having shot 37 elk myself and having seen nearly 100 shot. I gutted and skinned most of that 100 so I have experience with bullet holes in elk. Now that I have age to go with experience I am not sure those heavy premium bullets were necessary for most elk shot these days. Of the last 11 elk I have shot and at least 3/4's of the elk I guided were all shot with the elk standing broadside through the lungs. About any bullets of any weight will put an elk down with a broadside lung shot. Where the lightweight cup and core bullets come up lacking is when that elk is angling away, running straight away, or quartering towards you. Of the 37 elk I shot, 31 was with Nosler Partitions. I am now not too afraid to shoot a lighter bullet of less than premium construction. I once guided a client on a bison shoot. He shot a large bison with a 300 Win Mag using 180 grain Winchester PowerPoints. The shot was through the lungs and into the off shoulder. The range was 50 yards so impact was violent yet the bullet came out picture perfect and could have been in an advertisement. I was impressed with what I had shunned for decades.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have not Hunted Elk as much as some Hunters here on the Fire but I know what works for me... use 165-Nosler Partition or 165gr hornady Interloc. The few Elk hit W/said load fell over dead or walked off a few feet then fell over.Bullets never recovered,meat for the freezer was...HOOAHHH !!! Never used the newer bullets but will try the TTsx in my T3lite-06 this year to see how they group...ScottyO...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Problems with group with NP (none of my guns like them particularly well, but acceptable), and with the Interlock? Either is a good bullet.

I have come to prefer C&C myself - they will do anything a premium will if placement is right, under nearly all conditions a hunter should be taking a shot at. The only argument I've accepted is that apparently one can "eat right up to the hole" with a Barnes, but a few ounces of lost meat isn't a real concern to me either, most cases.

Why are you looking to change what appears to be acceptable?

I'm rather simplistic myself- subscribing to the KISS principle. No need to mess with success.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

For the most part it's a very ordinary cup and core bullet riding on the coattails of older generations of bullets having the same name.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by mathman

For the most part it's a very ordinary cup and core bullet riding on the coattails of older generations of bullets having the same name.

^^^^ definitely true. Especially the ROUND NOSE 30-06 180 gr. The 220 gr is always a round nose and It's a true, great core-lokt as well. My Zim pH Buddy's go to round for the "cheap stuff".

Last edited by Zengela; 06/19/17.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
150 gr. will give you a flatter trajectory, and is plenty of weight.

150 gr. Nosler Partition IMR 4350 (3000 ft/sec)

Sight your gun in with a 300 yard zero (3.9 high at 100yds)

100 – +3.9
200 – +4.9
300 – 0.0
350 – (-4.7)
400 – (-11.2)
450 – (-19.7)
500 – (-30.4)

** Below aiming points for mature bull. **

Out to 350 put the cross hairs in the boiler room right behind the shoulder, in the center of the body, and you’ll have meat in the freezer.

400, put it on his spine, and let it drop into the boiler room.

450 – at a quarter of a mile (440 yds.) put it 6 inches above the back and let it drop into the boiler room.

500 – put the cross hairs half the body thickness above the back and let it drop in the boiler room.

Just take a good range finder.

I killed my first elk at 375 yds. with 140 Nosler Partition in the boiler room broadside.

Been killing them the last 20 years with 150 gr. Partitions, and all of my group shoot the same thing, 150 gr. Partitions in 7mm Rem Mags. We’re only 300 ft/sec. above the ‘06 at 3300 muzzle.

I just bought a Winchester pre-64 Featherweight in ‘06 and will be building a load for it with 150 gr Partitions for this year, and will probably hunt it with open sights using the above advice on shot placement, after checking it at the range. Going from a 10 lb. rifle to a 6 lb rifle will be nice.

Bullet Placement. Bullet Placement. Bullet Placement…and a good quality flat shooting bullet in the boiler room will put meat in the freezer.

Don’t rush the shot, he’ll eventually turn and move to a good angle for you. (Famous last words)

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 07/03/17.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.