Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have always been a fan of New Haven Classic 70, especially SS ones. But... not a fan of the cheap "checkering" on the oversized bold handles that come on them.

So...

I recently had LeRoy Barry of Canyon Creek Gunstocks reshape some SS Classic bolt handles for me and I could not be happier with them. I love the look and the feel great cycling the action as well.

I have worked with LeRoy before and he is a gifted craftsman (as you could see in his website) and prompt communicator and always turns things around on time.

I had these done on my custom 7RM (shown) and 270 Fwt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nice!

Thinking he could checker three panels if one so desired?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
those do look a lot better than the factory configuration.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Nice!

Yes!
Here is one they did for me a year or two ago:
The checkering is not super "deep" but I bet they could modify that judging by the metalwork I've seen on their website.

[Linked Image]

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To each their own.

I'm a Classic 70 guy myself, and I'll leave mine the way they came. Like 'em just fine.

FWIW, I like the factory walnut too. Guess I'm old.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice job on the checkering!!!!!

"My goal in life is to be at least half the man my Dogs think I am."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like those bolt handles. The classic bolt handle looks tacky and the ring around the rosy checkering looks like chit. I much prefer the pre 64's bolt handle design..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TDN
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Nice!

Yes!
Here is one they did for me a year or two ago:
The checkering is not super "deep" but I bet they could modify that judging by the metalwork I've seen on their website.

[Linked Image]

I like the looks of that. Pretty cool...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I like those bolt handles. The classic bolt handle looks tacky and the ring around the rosy checkering looks like chit. I much prefer the pre 64's bolt handle design..

^^^ The Classic bolt handles look like they were bent in a press brake. I never understood why they didn't use the same bolt handle configuration that was on the pre-64s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much to have these reshaped?

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm curious too, I was already looking for someone to make the middle of the handle shaved off a bit for better scope clearance.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
TDN, the handle is factory length right?

TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, just reshaped the knob.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z

Yes, looks like chit, but that's Win. It goes with the territory. But, still better than a lot of others out there. Thank for the pics and ideas. I'm tossing around rebarelling and doing up one of my lefty 375s into a 35 Wheelen. Just phishing for different ideas. God played with me. Made me a lefty. And, a Winchester fan.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Zengela

Yes, looks like chit, but that's Win. It goes with the territory. But, still better than a lot of others out there. Thank for the pics and ideas. I'm tossing around rebarelling and doing up one of my lefty 375s into a 35 Wheelen. Just phishing for different ideas. God played with me. Made me a lefty. And, a Winchester fan.

I hear you and can relate. I think God has a poor sense of humor at times!!!!!

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Zengela
[quote=bsa1917hunter] I'm tossing around rebarelling and doing up one of my lefty 375s into a 35 Wheelen. Just phishing for different ideas. God played with me. Made me a lefty. And, a Winchester fan.

Keep phishing. Going from a magnum bolt face to a standard is going to add substantially to the cost. Better off selling the .375 intact and either buying a lefty M70 .270/.30-06 (not cheap but about what your .375 will bring), or starting with an MRC action/barreled action/complete rifle. It won't say "Winchester" on the side, but it's about as close to an M70 as the new BACO's.

BTW, I'm an unabashed Winchester fan and a lefty too.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Goofy that I actually have extra 375 H&H Lefty's but no 270,'06 laying around. Every time gunbroker jackals sweep one out from me in the bidding. I am thinking about a MRC V2 35 Wheelen.

Last edited by Zengela; 05/10/17. Reason: Spelling

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,193 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,679
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.