Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Has anyone handled or purchased this action? I've had some of his non titaniums actions, but don't know anything about thisin a custom rifle. Thoughts?

BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
my thoughts are it is as good as his standard action and all should be fine with it....Jim is a very meticulous person and likes for things to right

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been eye-balling his new stuff on his updated website. Thinking about ordering a titanium Alpine for a build, I sure like my other Alpine a lot.

Was actually going to start a new thread about which Ti actions to choose, there are several out these days.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I've been eye-balling his new stuff on his updated website. Thinking about ordering a titanium Alpine for a build, I sure like my other Alpine a lot.

Was actually going to start a new thread about which Ti actions to choose, there are several out these days.

I'd like to see/hear this discussion. The new LPA fuzion TI action is one that has my eye.

To the original question, I've not handled the Borden TI, but if you've owned his none TI actions I can't imagine them being much different other than lighter.

B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B

I'd like to hear this as well. It looks to be that Mcwhorter rifles have tried Jims ti action on some of their rifles....just haven't seen them on the forums.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gledeasy

I'd like to see/hear this discussion. The new LPA fuzion TI action is one that has my eye.

To the original question, I've not handled the Borden TI, but if you've owned his none TI actions I can't imagine them being much different other than lighter.

Yup, I've been really looking into that one as well. I recall Calvin saying if he built on a Ti action it would be that one. Between the Borden, Pierce and the Lone Peak Action not sure any would be the wrong choice for a build.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Link?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Link?

Skip it... AK has a better link below...

Last edited by Orion2000; 03/04/17.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Link?

Marty, here is the link to the Lone Peak Ti. Its not as pretty grin as the Borden but seems like a nice action & decent price.

http://www.lonepeakarms.com/razor-ti

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 03/04/17.

"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Sure been pondering a Ti Borden for that 7stw Gradous build! The Pierce I have are nice too!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jim makes a great receiver. It appears that John's is $300 lesser expensive. I think it may be a little lighter.
Quality wise, I would use either. If you buy one you need to do the PVD either on the bolt body or receiver.
I have a Pierce Ti and it is a very good receiver.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Jim makes a great receiver. It appears that John's is $300 lesser expensive. I think it may be a little lighter.
Quality wise, I would use either. If you buy one you need to do the PVD either on the bolt body or receiver.
I have a Pierce Ti and it is a very good receiver.
Yes 300.00 lesser(Jim @ Pierce), but weight all done up with cuts and recoil lug you're looking @ approximately 1oz and change difference in weight. Spoke with Jim Borden and he said the Timberline is 21 oz and Jim @ Pierce LA magnum is 19.9 without his Ti lug or the standard. This thread have me possibly doing a Bordan depending on my funds 😁!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of all the 700 clone choices on the market, Echols selected the SS Borden for his daughters rifle.
and Mr Borden will tell you- that the only thing with Ti Bordens, is they are not as smooth as the SS ones,
simply because of the metallurgical nature of Titanium.

However some form of modern hard-coating like DLC over titanium , will deliver a much better coefficient of friction
on bearing surfaces, even better than SS. ...DLC has one of the lowest co-efficient of friction ratings.

But me, based on smoothness level of the rem700 Ti, could quite easily live with uncoated Ti no problem.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the information....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just talked to John. The Pierce Ti receiver with a Ti recoil lug and the new Ti bolt is $1800 and weighs 16oz. The all Ti units are 5-6 months lead time. Ti with the light CM bolt is a 3 month lead time. They are having the bolts treated, but I didn't ask which treatment.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
looks like by the time your done you will be at the price of a nula and the weight of a nula roughly

B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
New Ti bolt is interesting short or long action on the 16oz Butch?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those interested, this is a 700 clone with Ti reciever and Ti bolt.
and was made at least 15 yrs ago, so the idea of an all Ti '700' is not ground breaking.

Be aware one can encounter metal galling issues with Ti on Ti.
Make sure anyone offering such a product has got that issue properly sorted out.
Hence why a differential surface harder steel is typically used for bolts in preference to Ti.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Galling^^^^ is what I'd be afraid of but feel the coating Butch mentioned would minimize if not eliminate it on the Ti Pierce. Starman nice rifle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bigamp,

Do you want a Ti bolt cause you are absolutely crazy about saving weight or is it just a feature you want to have
for the sake of having it?...not to talk you out of a Ti bolt, but
Ive handled a 24" barrel custom 4lb 9 oz Rem700 Ti with the orig. factory deep fluted steel bolt.

Anyway if you go the trouble and expense of all Ti, are you going to also get Ti scope mounts?
and Ti action screws?...Ti magazine box? , Ti follower? Ti firing pin?...and why isnt someone making
Ti bottom metal for 700 clones?

B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
No I really don't have to have it, just think the Ti bolt is a nice addition to the ti body!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Starman
Bigamp,

Do you want a Ti bolt cause you are absolutely crazy about saving weight or is it just a feature you want to have
for the sake of having it?...not to talk you out of a Ti bolt, but
Ive handled a 24" barrel custom 4lb 9 oz Rem700 Ti with the orig. factory deep fluted steel bolt.

Anyway if you go the trouble and expense of all Ti, are you going to get all Titanium scope mounts as well?
and what about Ti action screws?...Ti magazine box? , Ti follower? Ti firing pin?...and why jsnt someone making
Ti bottom metal for 700 clones?

Only if it had no barrel.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bigamp
New Ti bolt is interesting short or long action on the 16oz Butch?

Said it was the LA.

B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thats going to be really nice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat thread. Meanwhile I could stand to lose 10-15 lbs.

Is that a 40 degree cat and does that turret make the rifle top heavy?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

People can rest assured there are custom Ti700s that weigh 4lb 9oz including 24" barrel with factory fluted steel bolt.
in your case, you really need to leave your village and get out more to learn something about the greater real world rather
than cast your ignorant doubts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like to hear the blueprint on that feather-lite. Wonder how it steadied in field use?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

People can rest assured there are custom Ti700s that weigh 4lb 9oz including 24" barrel with factory fluted steel bolt.
in your case, you really need to leave your village and get out more to learn something about the greater real world rather

I'm at 5 lbs 2 ozs on my sa Ti, could drop maybe 4 more ozs if I dropped it in a Hunters Edge but its already darn light as is. Be interested to know what barrel your using on a rifle like the one you mention??
[Linked Image]

"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

And you are?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
...in your case, you really need to leave your village and get out more to learn something about the greater real world rather

TFF! You, Starman, have no idea you're calling ignorant. laugh

Please continue sharing your ignorance.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
who...who dammit!!! 😜
Now back to the thread. There is too much good stuff in here to be derailed by some stargazer....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where can I order helium microballons?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crickets.....

Yes, OM - I too was thinking that was an awful thin bbl.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Bringing this one back around ... been a year, has anyone got their mitts on a borden ti yet?
The LP ti in the classifieds has gotten the mind swirling...never a good thing.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a Borden Alpine Magnum in titanium that’s being built at RBros right now and should have it back in a few weeks. It’ll be a lightweight 6.5x47L finished at 22” for backpack hunting.

It’s an excellent action. When deciding on a titanium action for this build. Lone Peak and Borden were the only two I’ve handled that were worth the cost IMO. If you go with Borden, make sure to get it PVD treated - makes it cycle extremely smooth.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the post Mark. Out of curiosity, what were the others that you handled that you didn’t think were worth the cost? Mostly interested to know if pierce was in the running.

Sounds like a really nice build - looking forward to seeing pics and specs! What barrel and profile did you use?
Also - magnum action for the longer port?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Yes, Pierce is one that I found subpar and quickly out of the running. There were many machining marks on the receiver I handled plus the bolt was very sticky despite being coated. To be fair, I already have 4 other Borden actions so I was extremely confident with Jim’s titanium receiver before even looking.

The 6.5x47L will be built on a McMillan Hunter edge fill stock, Bartlein 2b contour with 1/2” shank and finished at 22”, Jewell trigger and topped with a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 scope. Yep, the alpine magnum has an elongated port.

Last edited by Markwondi; 03/12/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

People can rest assured there are custom Ti700s that weigh 4lb 9oz including 24" barrel with factory fluted steel bolt....

I'm at 5 lbs 2 ozs on my sa Ti, could drop maybe 4 more ozs if I dropped it in a Hunters Edge but its already darn light as is.
Be interested to know what barrel your using on a rifle like the one you mention??

much of the weight saving is in the stock.
Edge is around 24oz..?
Lex Webernick stocks are in the area of 11 oz....do the math.

Lex can and does make a 4lb -12oz .300 Win. magnum on the 700 LA Ti.
Short action chamberings lighter again.

Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

TFF! You, Starman, have no idea you're calling ignorant. laugh

Please continue sharing your ignorance.

Well you stick with your 'guru' Butch and Ill stick with the material facts of the real world...OK?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mark,
Interesting comments about Pierce. I know Butch has been happy with them but that is the kind of feedback I appreciate. Thank you.
Seems like a really nice build - what is your target weight?
Keep us updated and pics when you get it please!

Last edited by AKwolverine; 03/12/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have owned one Lone Peak and used another. They are very good.

Owned three original Rem M700’s. The LPA is significantly better. No tendency to gall, none. And it has an integral recoil lug. Had an ExTreme Ti and sold it, never again.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
lone peak arms makes a very very nice action.there titanium was the smoothest of the ones I have handled.jim borden I believe makes the best functional and reliable steel action I have seen.i believe his actions are timed for extraction and possibly ignition.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just saw that Borden is no longer making Ti actions.

[Linked Image]

I’ve been on the fence about building off one for months. It looks like my mind has been made up for me.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

you really need to leave your village and get out more to learn something about the greater real world rather

Butch is one of the most knowledgeable, experienced and sincere people that will put up with the BS on the fire. Please don't run him off. The rifles he has built would be a good basis for a Museum of modern weapons.

Are we talking Ti actions or MaiTai's?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Prairie Gunworks had a nice one. Not sure of the other manufacturers but with an action similar to a NULA seems like you can get within about 6 or 8 ozs or so of the Ti with few concessions with an all steel rifle. Maybe aluminum mounts and bottom metal plus lighter scope.

Seems like many who are obsessed with light weight rifles wear size 40+ pants.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can hold Butch in a state rapture if you want , just don't expect it of others, and when he is wrong he is simply wrong.
btw; I found my better senses and got through and over the phase of fine grade walnut stock rifles that Butch is still going through.
MY primary interest is in practical hunting rifles not museum piece safe queens, but each to his own.

If anyone want to see and handle a near 4.5lb bolt rifle that Butch thinks can't/doesn't exist , they can go see Lex Webernick
in Texas, or his booth at SCI...He has been making such for many years already.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is a Ti short action lighter than a Montana 84M?

Dave

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I dont think so.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice thread, I had been contemplating a Ti Pierce in the past, not heard anything bad anywhere in the past on Pierce. This forum is nice to exchange personal experiences, and as some mention from time to time, "YMMV." I have owned Stiller and Borden's - no issues with either.

Before members bash the integrity, experience, or knowledge of a member here, you might give that person the benefit of the doubt. There is a large collective of knowledge on this site. FWIW, I had a BAT that came to me really Jacked up, so anything is possible, and may well be an outlier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of all the 700 clone choices on the market, Echols selected the SS Borden for his daughters rifle.

I know for a fact that D'Arcy used a .308 length Model 70 for his daughters .260. I have held the rifle in my hands in D'Arcy's shop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe I missed this , but then does the safety have to be on the trigger?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ralphie

I know for a fact that D'Arcy used a .308 length Model 70 for his daughters .260. I have held the rifle in my hands in D'Arcy's shop.

Then Id say D'Arcy changed his mind somewhere along the way...If you get the chance ask him about the Borden action he originally had
for the .260 build.

IIRC , D'Arcy mentioned the Borden on the Accurate Reloading forum, which he later swapped for a blued steel Borden.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Picture of it here in one of his old blogs. M70.

https://echolsrifles.blogspot.com/2014/11/taking-next-step.html?m=1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Then Id say D'Arcy changed his mind somewhere along the way...If you get the chance ask him about the Borden action he originally had
for the .260 build.

IIRC , D'Arcy mentioned the Borden on the Accurate Reloading forum, which he later swapped for a blued steel Borden.

Longer action length, already being set up for a magazine box and cartridge specific follower, more accessible ejection port.

Last edited by Ralphie; 07/16/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Markwondi
Yes, Pierce is one that I found subpar and quickly out of the running. There were many machining marks on the receiver I handled plus the bolt was very sticky despite being coated. To be fair, I already have 4 other Borden actions so I was extremely confident with Jim’s titanium receiver before even looking.

The 6.5x47L will be built on a McMillan Hunter edge fill stock, Bartlein 2b contour with 1/2” shank and finished at 22”, Jewell trigger and topped with a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 scope. Yep, the alpine magnum has an elongated port.

I used a Pierce long action for a wildcat a couple years ago. I could not get the action to cycle while it was against my shoulder. The guy at Pierce told me to choke up on the bolt. I went to Sportsmans and tried several brands after that experience. I discovered Savage, Tikka, Weatherby Mark V six lug (the nine lug acted the same as the Pierce) and another I don't remember worked smoothly while keeping a sight picture. I disassembled the Pierce and sold the individual parts.

That Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 was sure a nice scope.

Edited to add: Borden doesn't do ti anymore.

Last edited by Ringman; 07/16/18.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
starman.may I ask your age and who raised you.need to know.i truly don't knor or want to know your issue with butch lambert.but he knows more about anything to do with rifles than you will ever learn.he has his opinions but is very well versed and knows what he speaks.as do so many on here.your just a ignorant jerk off.as I have learned reading the majority of your dribble.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
also for what its worth the lone peak titanium is the finest I have used.many fine stainless steel actions.none better machined or timed then a borden.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have an aquaintance that dearly overpaid for a 700 TI 308 when the market was on fire. I recall 2200 dollars at the time, he would get sick seeing you can buy the action for the Borden for nearly 1700 .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when I was in business I assembled three rifles using the borden titanium action. I called them the cookie cutter rifles. all three for the same client and all in 7/08. for him, his son and a daughter. 2 right , one left, McMillan stocks, hart barrels, jewel triggers and leupold scopes. they all were accurate, reliable and light. they were nice actions to work with and no weird surprises.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I received a Mcwhorter recently built on a Pierce Ti. The bolt handle is a bit thin but I was told it can be switched out if I want. Other than that, the action seems to function just fine. I was concerned before having the rifle built that the Ti action might be too gummy when cycling but it's not.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.