Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just picked up a new Weber Smokey Mountain smoker for $80 on clearance at WalMart. Smokin' Deal! wink

This is my first smoker. I've always wanted one, but the $200+ entry point for a good smoker always kept me from taking the plunge.

In reviewing, it sounds like I got lucky and bought a good one. Anybody have a WSM? Or other charcoal smoker?

Suggestions for a first-time smoker? I'll probably be doing briskets, shoulders, and ribs. Anyone ever smoked game? I've got some goose breasts I was thinking of trying out on the smoker...

Let's hear it from the pros -

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 03/05/17.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoy....

Last edited by Brazos; 03/05/17.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not a pro,

Use good charcoal for heat and wood for smoke.
Don't use charcoal lighter, to lite charcoal.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Start with some chick maybe pork butt till you get used to your vents

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Have always heard good things about the WSMs. I like watching and playing with fire so I use my stick burner. Ya have to be "into" the process 'cause it's more labor intensive. Did spare ribs Saturday and chicken leg qtrs. yesterday. I do mainly chuck roasts instead of briskets since the price of brisket went up and stayed there. Also takes a lot less time and we don't need all the meat of a brisket.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I just picked up a new Weber Smokey Mountain smoker for $80 on clearance at WalMart. Smokin' Deal! wink

This is my first smoker. I've always wanted one, but the $200+ entry point for a good smoker always kept me from taking the plunge.

In reviewing, it sounds like I got lucky and bought a good one. Anybody have a WSM? Or other charcoal smoker?

Suggestions for a first-time smoker? I'll probably be doing briskets, shoulders, and ribs. Anyone ever smoked game? I've got some goose breasts I was thinking of trying out on the smoker...

Let's hear it from the pros

1) You STOLE that thing!

2) Virtual Weber Bullet is an excellent resource

3) Start with their "Hot and Fast Chicken" recipe - it's quick, easy, delicious, & will give you the confidence to try more stuff.

3) This Brisket Tutorial will likely be all you'll ever need. It's purported to be a, "basics for beginners" kinda deal, but the results are so good that I've never done it any other way. I've not had better brisket since I began doing it this way, and that includes 2 trips through Lockhart.

4) Atvalaska is your man. He's the Charlie Daniels of the WSM.

Enjoy that thing!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Started with a el cheapo Walmart smoker then upgraded to a Weber Smokey mountain that a pard gave to me, used that one for 2 years now I ultimate upgraded to the Big Green Egg and won't look back.

The Weber worked awesome but was hard to keep at 225 as it does not seal up tight. It also works well when when it isn't windy and the temps are warm, say 50 and above I found.

You got an excellent deal at 80.00, you-tube is your friend as far as how to videos.

Enjoy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Start with some chick maybe pork butt till you get used to your vents

This. I would say go with the Boston Butts if you are a beginner....they have so much fat in them that they are nearly impossible to dry out. About the only way you can really go wrong is to let the fire go out. Just follow the instructions that probably came with your set up and you will be good.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ISRO
Started with a el cheapo Walmart smoker then upgraded to a Weber Smokey mountain that a pard gave to me, used that one for 2 years now I ultimate upgraded to the Big Green Egg and won't look back.

The Weber worked awesome but was hard to keep at 225 as it does not seal up tight. It also works well when when it isn't windy and the temps are warm, say 50 and above I found.

You got an excellent deal at 80.00, you-tube is your friend as far as how to videos.

Enjoy

Been my experience with a couple other brands of the basic round tin charcoal smokers, as well.

The colder the outside temperature and even more so if it is windy the longer it takes for the meat to get done and the more charcoal needed to keep the smoker temperature up.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'm hardly an expert.....but do fairly well I'm told...

use only local dry fruit wood..apple..cherry...peach & pear...

yes...no charcoal lighter....learn your grill & vents...

keep at 225* (ish) low & slow....pic is a slab of venison back

straps..went from the field...washed..on the smoker..wrapped in

bacon & apple slices...was really yummy...225* for 4 hrs...cast iron

skillet on heat side full of Bud Lite for added moisture

http://www.smokingpit.com/recipes/Cheddar-Mushroom-Burger.htm

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've messed with all different kinds, for my money these days electric is the way to go. It is the easiest to keep a consistent heat and a consistent low heat is the most important thing.

Your meat only really picks up smoke in the first few hours. After that, the source of the heat doesn't matter at all. I've even gotten great results in removing a brisket from the smoker after three or four hours and finishing it up in the oven.

But however you choose, low and slow is the key. It is hard to mess up anything too bad if you keep it low and slow.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Pork butt marinated overnight in teriyaki and smoked with alder wood and you'll have some great eats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My wife and kids gave me an 18" WSM for Christmas. I ran it dry once to season it and get used to the temp. control. I was easily able to keep it 225 - 235, for 5 - 6 hrs, on a day that was in the mid 30's with a light breeze. The addition of a dual probe remote thermometer makes monitoring the temp. much easier as I can keep track from inside the house and the dome thermometer on the WSM is not accurate.

I tried my WSM for real with 2 racks of spare ribs using this recipe:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

and this recipe for the sauce:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/kansas_city_classic_BBQ_sauce.html

The results were outstanding! Some of the best meat I have ever eaten.

I also smoked 2 chickens last week. They were also very good.

The amazing ribs site has a lot of information specific to the WSM. There are also some videos on youtube that specifically address the WSM.

I think you will be very happy with the $80 spent on your new smoker. I am jealous of that deal. Enjoy!

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been smoking for 40+ years and first recommendation would be ...stay away from brisket for a while. It's the toughest meat to get a good smoke on, plus your looking at a 15 hour+ cook time.

Temperature maintenance is the most important part of smoking. Maintain 225-250 degrees and cook it until you get the internal temp you want. On a butt that is 185 for sliced and 195 for pulled pork. Pull it, double wrap it in HD foil, wrap a towel around it and stuff it in an empty ice chest for an hour or your ready to eat.

Maverick makes a dual probe thermometer with a remote, that takes the leg work out of smoking It allows you set low and high trigger points, which will cause the remote alarm to go off and will flash the out of bounds temp. With one probe in the smoker and one in the meat, there is no reason to take the lid off.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ron
I've been smoking for 40+ years and first recommendation would be ...stay away from brisket for a while. It's the toughest meat to get a good smoke on, plus your looking at a 15 hour+ cook time.

Temperature maintenance is the most important part of smoking. Maintain 225-250 degrees and cook it until you get the internal temp you want. On a butt that is 185 for sliced and 195 for pulled pork. Pull it, double wrap it in HD foil, wrap a towel around it and stuff it in an empty ice chest for an hour or your ready to eat.

Maverick makes a dual probe thermometer with a remote, that takes the leg work out of smoking It allows you set low and high trigger points, which will cause the remote alarm to go off and will flash the out of bounds temp. With one probe in the smoker and one in the meat, there is no reason to take the lid off.

^^^^^^^ This. Controlling smoker temp and knowing internal temp of meat is very imporatnt

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
After using a traeger and there are many other similar brands. A pellet smoker is just too easy. It also yields perfect results everytime. I can't imagine using anything else now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a WSM for several years, that's a steal at that price. I haven't done a brisket on it yet but have done pork butt, ribs, turkey and chicken. All turn out great. I'd get a chimney to start the charcoal and learn how to set the vents to regulate the temp and keep it lower for good cook times. I'd suggest a thermometer to put right on the grate inside, the dial thermometer isn't showing the temp where your meat will be. I picked one up that has a prong for the grill temp and one that goes in the meat. It's a transmitter/receiver so I can keep an eye on the temp with it while in the house.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have been looking up some plans to build a smoke house.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tikkanut

skillet on heat side full of Bud Lite for added moisture

I knew that stuff had to be good for something. wink

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I smoked a bunch of stuff at my dad's on that smoker. Including 3 racks of ribs. it worked great.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.