Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, that's a great factory deer load.

The 150 .270 Interlock also works very well, and not just on deer. But they don't offer it in the American Whitetail ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mostly going to get praise reports an the Interlock. We have only used them on deer but it's been all good. 150 gr 30-06 is just a hammer on them. 139 gr FB and BT in both 7mm-08 and 7x57 have given very good service. Only one we caught hit a doe quartering to between the left shoulder and neck. Found the bullet, a boat tail, against the femur in the right ham. That was a 7x57 factory load.

And as 260Remguy says the 129 gr 6.5 is a heck of a bullet. Sons Model 7 SS in .260 will do an inch or less at 100 with max charge of H4831SC. And it just flat kills deer. Had my quickest kill on a deer with it. Big doe at about 30 feet in front of me and I didn't want to blow up too much meat so made sure I hit her behind the shoulder about midline. Nothing but lungs. She fell dead and didn't wiggle and I don't think I even hit ribs.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For a few years, when I was semi retired, I worked the gun counter at two or three guns stores in the heart of deer and elk country.
Hornady Interlocks were the biggest seller of all the bullets we sold.
In that entire time, I never heard a single complaint about either the accuracy or the terminal ballistics of an Interlock, and that is the only bullet that I can make that statement about. Even Nosler Partitions got some criticism, deserved or not.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have used them in 3006 for many years About 10 years ago I was using 150 gr spire point flat base and I had two from the same box basically turn to powder on two different bucks. In both cases the next bullet penetrated right thru. After that i switched to the 165 flat base (which I can no longer get only the boattail) but it has been perfect for deer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pretty much my go to CC bullet. For me they represent one of the better values.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[quote=Trystan]Those of you who have experience with this bullet how were your results. Thanks

Uniformly accurate excellent expansion and penetration.
I have loaded them in both flatbase and boat tails.
I do not recall any failures to perform [which I cannot say of Core-Lokts of late].

Calibers; .243, .256, .284, .308, .338, .358 and .375

The .243-100gr, .308-150, 165 and 180 gr and .338 .225 gr are the ones I have used the most.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Buddy of mine shot a nice 8 point at a little over 100 yards with a 7mm-08 "American Whitetail" load. I am pretty sure it was a 140 grain bullet. He shot the deer through the shoulders. When I was helping him load the deer up I noticed a bulge under the hide and I asked him if I could cut out the bullet so we could look at it. My request sort of amused him as he is an older guy and not a rifle/bullet nut.

Anyway the bullet had pretty well disintegrated....a pretty good sized chunk was left along with a lot of frags. Based on their reputation I figured the bullet would have held together a little better, but sometimes cup and cores do that. Based on that sample of one I can't say that they are any better, or worse, than a core-lokt or power-point.

The deer dropped in its tracks and my buddy had no complaints! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
RJY66,

Let me see if I get this right: You could see the bulge of the bullet under the hide on the far side of the deer, and a "pretty good-sized chunk" was left. Yet the bullet had "pretty well disintegrated." These seem to be mutually exclusive statements.

Yes, many lead-cored bullets fragment to a certain extent. Despite the beliefs of many hunters about how much weight a bullet should retain, this PARTIAL fragmentation makes a bigger wound channel, and on average kills quicker than bullets that don't lose much weight.

I've shot a bunch of big game animals with Hornady Interlocks from .25 to .338 caliber. The average retained weight of the relatively few recovered bullets has been just about 50%, varying from around 40-60%. They were all recovered on the far side of dead animals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
180g Interlock SP has been my #1 in 30-06 for a long while.

The 130g version in 270 Win was a beaut too.

150g in the 308 Win was a fave for years until I started shooting VLD designs.

I'm yet to discover a non premium that delivers better terminal performance.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
MuleDeer,

Given your experience with ILs, and with the .270 - 150gr in particular, would you use it on a sheep hunt where a long 500yd-shot might present as your only chance?

It is the most accurate bullet in my gun, so far, but I have to admit I am biased towards higher BC bullets...

Thank you!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As they say, pics are worth several words. Here are two Hornady .277 130 grain SP Interlocks recovered from a deer shot at about 90-100 yards and again at 6". Winchester Model 70 .270 24" barrel, load used RL-22 for right at 3200 fps MV - yes, I was attending the Bob Hagel School of Reloading in those days. These were both found under the skin on the far side of a previously healthy mule deer buck of about 250 lbs live weight, both shots broadside through the chest, left bullet hit about 1/2 of the way up behind the left foreleg, second bullet fired as a finisher into the top of the heart/aorta area.

Left bullet hit at an approx. velocity of 2950 fps, the right one hit at a full 3200. Left one is expanded to .480" measured across the lead and weighs 78 grains, right one is about .410" and weighs 59 grains, that's including whatever petrified deer is left in there. Middle bullet is an unfired bullet of the same type for comparison.

So, even at high impact velocities - I think 3200 fps is considered very high for a C&C, the cup and core did not separate, they expanded to almost twice their diameter and retained around 60% and 44% of their weight respectively. The weight that was shed did its job as shrapnel since internal damage to the lungs and heart was extensive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pictures Jim! That is some serious stress you put on the one at the muzzle!

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jim In Idaho, currently I'm using Nosler PT's almost exclusively but that doesn't mean I don't think Hornadys aren't great bullets. I also have several Hornady bullets recovered from buck Mule Deer and they look just like your photos. If I knew how to post photos(rather wanted to know) I'd post them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 154 grain .284 Interlock launched at 2700 fps from a 7x57 has been a complete pass through on elk, mule deer and moose. I finally caught one after traveling from front to back the full length of a good size mule deer buck.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd post some more pics of other calibers and situations but unfortunately (or fortunately) these are the only two I've ever recovered, most of the rest are buried in Idaho real estate on the far side of whatever animal got shot. wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
They were all recovered on the far side of dead animals.
In view of this statement, how can one complain?

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I did a Campfire survey a few years ago about the best choice for a cup-and-core bullet, and the Interlock was 2 to 1 over the rest of the field.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Remington Core-Lokt had the same kind of internal belt as the Interlock. It's been a few years but the older magazine articles reported that it was a very well regarded bullet for its deep penetration and ability to stay together. Apparently the big game guides thought highly of it in factory ammo. I don't know personally but have read they since cheapened them to remove that belt.

We've got some really nice bonded bullets and monometals these days but a bullet that sheds its weight, i.e. sends that lead out as wounding shrapnel, still kills really well as long as it stays together. Shot presentation might have to be more "choosy", or not. I saw a 15 year old kid put a factory loaded Remington 150 grain Core-Lokt from a .30-06 lengthwise through a fair size doe, range was somewhere around 125 yards +-25. Bullet entered in the right ham and was found nicely mushroomed in the chest up under the left scapula. As I recall she staggered a few feet forward and keeled over dead. That was close to 20 years ago and the folks I was hunting with used a mish-mash of old ammo so the bullet he used could have been from the 80's or early 90's.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, the old Core-Lokts had heavy "sidewalls" on the jacket, not a belt, which along with a cannelure tended to hold cores inside. You may be thinking of the Peters "Inner-Belted," which had a ring of metal inside the jacket to stop expansion, which were highly though of by some hunters, including I believe Elmer Keith.

The old Core-Lokts did work pretty well. Last I checked the round-nose Core-Lokts were still built that way, but that's been several years.

Reminto started changing the Pointed Soft-Point Core-Lokts around 1990, to a thinner jacket that was easier to manufacture. Found that out from the guy who'd been the long-time writer contact for a while, after I sectioned one and wondered what the hell? He asked around and got pissed because they hadn't told him.

During the transitional period they used some Hornady Interlocks in Core-Lokt ammo. Found that out, again, while sectioning another "Core-Lokt" and finding the Interlock ring.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
If I we're to go back to a cup-n-core bullet, it would be the Hornady. Or, if I go to a lower velocity (blasphemy) cartridge,it would be my "go to" bullet My "only" complaint with them would be, at high velocity,close range shots... they fully expand very quickly, losing weight (seem to average approx.35% loss) which hurts penetration some. They held together well, but didn't penetrate as I want. I like exit wounds, and didn't get that reliably. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
773 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 77 invisible), 3,027 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.