Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Interesting. My present .270, a new Model 70 Featherweight, likes 150 Interlocks seated with the cannelure about 1/8" in front of the case mouth.

MD - That XTR FTWT was the First one in Hammond LA. I ordered it thru a local dealer...so @ 1982 ? They had just been introduced in the Fall 1981 Win catalog.

The loaded round looked like a bird's beak sticking out from the case mouth. That's the only rifle I EVER had like that.
I LOVED the rifle but hated the look of the cartridge.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ive had good luck getting them to shoot in the calibers Ive tried (270, 7mm, 30, 35, and 375) by just seating them to the cannelure. Im sure seating them for a .010" jump might shrink groups a bit, just never felt the need. Makes it easy to use ammo from one rifle in another of the same chambering.

Only ones that seemed a fit "finnicky" were the 139 and 154 gr bullets in a couple 280's. IIRC switching powders eliminated the finnicky-ness 😀

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like them so much that now when I get a hunting rifle chambered I give the Smith a factory Hornaday round to set the throat for if they are available. This makes it easy to seat the bullets at the cannelure and if I ever have to resort to store bought ammo that issue is taken care of too. All the other bullets will have to find their own seating depth which is always the case so nothing lost there either. Voila Cave man simple like I like it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just used a 270 grain interlock out of my 375 Ruger. Grizzly bear went @ 30 yards & piled up. Both lungs were jello. Bullet exited leaving a hole about the size of a half dollar. Interlocks, I like em. Bob

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 286 9.3 is another really good one that's hard to recover.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

MD

I forgot to mention. That XTR FTWT had a 'short' throat. Sorry.

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Interesting. My present .270, a new Model 70 Featherweight, likes 150 Interlocks seated with the cannelure about 1/8" in front of the case mouth.

MD - That XTR FTWT was the First one in Hammond LA. I ordered it thru a local dealer...so @ 1982 ? They had just been introduced in the Fall 1981 Win catalog.

The loaded round looked like a bird's beak sticking out from the case mouth. That's the only rifle I EVER had like that.
I LOVED the rifle but hated the look of the cartridge.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use them in 30-30, 6.5x55, 30-06, 270 and 444. I bought 200 7mm 154 grain during the drought when I wasn't sure if I'd run out of accubonds but I haven't used them yet.
Any time I've used them on game they've worked great so I've been switching everything over.

One year my buddy and I shot a couple of black bears with our 7mm rem mags both about 80 yards.
I used a 160 accubond, he used a 154 hornady.
Both bullets travelled through heavy bone and looked almost identical when recovered. That sold me on the interlocks right there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
John said The 286 9.3 is another really good one that's hard to recover.

That's the bullet I am going to be loading soon in a few 9.3s I have killed game with it from my 9.3X74R Ruger #1 and it's done well, but so far the "tests" were deer and antelope, so for a large powerful rifle, that's not much of a test.

I will load them in my 9.3X62 also. Velocity will be the same, or maybe 100 FPS higher than what I shoot from my Ruger.

The gun I am wondering about is the 9.3X57 I am making. I will try various bullets for expansion and accuracy. What I don't want ( if I can get away from it) is a short range only gun. The Norma and RWS bullets of 225 gr and 232 gr are getting hard to get, are expensive, and some of them are going to thick jackets and bonding. That makes them outstanding for close range and heavy game, but not as good for deer or even elk at 300 yards and farther. I may be weird, but I love to hunt antelope with "close range guns" and in most hunts I can and do get close and kill them just fine. I have done it with flintlock rifles in 50 cal and 62 cal. with 4" barrled 44 mag, 6" barreled 357 mags, Iron sighted 30-30 and one time I did it with a bow and arrow.
But sometimes I am forced by time constraints to make a longer shot, and out to 400 yards is what I consider a "good all-around load".
If a bullet goes below it's expansion threshold it doesn't open up much if at all.

The 9.3X57 only starts bullets at 2050 FPS to 2100 FPS for the heavies, and about 2350 to 2400 for the light ones.

I have had bad luck with the Speer 270 grain bullets in my 9.3X74R but perhaps they will not be so bad if only impacting at 1500 FPS to 1800 FPS. Maybe the 9.3X57 is the best shell to load them in. In my 9.3X74R they are nothing but real big varmint bullets.

The one I want to hear about is the very bullet you named John, that being the Hornady 286 gr. I know what it does at impacts of 1800FPS to 2100 FPS, but I am wondering how it will do at 1300 to 1400 FPS impact speed.

If I can't get what I want from the market place I probably will just make molds and cast bullets for it. I did that for so long and did so many of them that casting is not fun for me anymore, but I do know a lot about it, and I can usually make a rifle work super well with cast bullets at any velocity below 2400 FPS. I would use paper patched and lube-groove bullets to do that load work, but I am not excited about doing all that if I don't have to.

Any intel for me with the Hornady 286 gr at lower speeds? Or any suggestions I have not thought of?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

I'd try the 250 AccuBond in the 9.3x57. According to Nosler it expands down to the same 1800 fps listed for the Partition--which itself tends to expand at lower impact velocities than the Interlocks, due to the soft front core--but you can probably get at least 2300 and possibly 2400 fps from it in the 9.3x57. That would result in about 1750-1800 fps at 400 yards, depending on muzzle velocity and atmospheric conditions. I used a computer program to come up with slightly over 1800 fps at 35 degrees F. and 4000 feet above sea level, when started at 2400.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I was doing some digging on the big heavies in 30 cal and found this thread regarding the 220 gr Hornady RN: What's your experience with the Hornady 220gr RN in 30-06? I was a little surprised by some posts by BC30cal regarding his experience with them quoted below. Wonder if there were any changes made to it since when the bullets he used were made. Perhaps a soft or brittle batch of lead cores? Maybe older stock off the shelf than what he thought?

Originally Posted by BC30cal
Big Redhead;
While I can't be certain if it was my experiences with the 220gr. Hornady you were thinking of, I'll repeat them for you. I was shooting them out of a .308 Norma and my records show they were doing a fairly pedestrian 2615fps out of it, so not that awful far off of a hot '06 load.

The first test was an immature bull moose that ended up being quite close to 400lbs carcass weight. At about 125yds the bull took off for areas with less people around and was going a good clip when the first bullet nicked the right scapula, then broke a rib, tore a 4" hole through the upper lungs, broke another rib and then lodged in the left scapula. While that rocked the bull visibly, he just shifted into another gear. I took up the chase and after a bit of a sprint fired another into him which raked through his liver, then through the lower part of the left lung and lodged in the ribs. The combined bits of the first bullet weigh 110gr, with the largest portion weighing 89gr. The second bullet weighs 126gr. I see that I noted in my hunting notes that there was a lot of tissue damage but that I was a bit disappointed by the lack of penetration.

Then 10 days later I shot a first rack whitetail buck that went about 90lbs with the same bullet. The shot was about 75yds and was a front on shot that hit the right sternum/spine joint area. My notes saying it then wrecked 3-4 ribs as well as travelling through the top of the lungs, then breaking 4 more ribs at the back of the left side. It was one of the very few times in my hunting experience that an animal was physically spun nearly 180� when hit. The interesting thing on this little buck though was that the recovered bullet core only weighs 58gr. I can't seem to find any indication that I found any of the jacket material, so it must have gone into the lungs or perhaps into the stomach.

Anyway on balance and based upon those two animals I ceased using that particular bullet. While I do concede that the tissue damage was impressive and both animals were recovered quite easily, I was as noted earlier, hoping for a bit more penetration out of them. According to my notes I switched to 200gr Partitions for a bit in both the Norma and the '06 I had at the time. I didn't test them on a lot of game actually, but my notes indicate that on at least one whitetail buck they showed marked improvement as far as penetrating ability went.

Originally Posted by BC30cal
Big Redhead;
Thank you for the kind words sir, I do appreciate them.

My experience was with Hornady bullets, and if memory serves they would have been about 1999 vintage production or perhaps as late as 2001. In that time frame anyway. I only note that because there was some discussion earlier this year regarding Hornady moving the position of the Interlock ring on their 180gr .308" Spires on the latest production bullets. Please note I have no knowledge whatsoever if they've done anything to the 220gr.

Lest someone feel that I am in any way, shape or form anti-Hornady, I'd like to say that isn't so in the least. The last three bucks I've shot died using their GMX bullets and my family and I have had wonderful luck with a wide variety of Interlock bullets - oh and one buck with an Interbond as well. As I've stated many times in the past, there are a lot of red boxes underneath my loading bench. wink

Regards,
Dwayne

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No experience with the 220s but I suspect they were designed as a woods bullet for the 06 and 08. I have only shot the 160 6.5s at paper but they also get mixed reviews so no idea why. On the SSTs I have seen some where the interlok is almost non existent but haven't sectioned enough to see if this is the norm or an isolated case.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I believe the 190 BTSP was a heavy 30 cal looked favorably upon. I also believe it has since been discontinued. I never got a chance to try them.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Tejano
No experience with the 220s but I suspect they were designed as a woods bullet for the 06 and 08. I have only shot the 160 6.5s at paper but they also get mixed reviews so no idea why. On the SSTs I have seen some where the interlok is almost non existent but haven't sectioned enough to see if this is the norm or an isolated case.

BC30cal was pushing the 220 at 2615 fps. At 125 yards that equates to 2258 fps when it hit the moose. .30-06 can push it 2450 to 2500 fps, and at 125 yards, it's running 2152 fps if started at 2500 fps. The deer he shot at 75 yards would have it going 2392 fps.

As for mixed reviews, I have to laugh. Several times, I've looked up threads on bullets for terminal performance and several posters will swear up and down with opposite experiences. Makes things about as clear as mud and it doesn't help that bullet manufacturers make changes over the years without telling anyone about it. Of course, some bad experiences can be easily diagnosed. Read one thread where a guy was perplexed a Hot Cor bullet was too destructive when he shot a deer at less than 100 yards with his 300 RUM ... This one with the Hornady 220 puzzles me though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks John. I think that's a good idea. I know the Partitions expand down to about 1450 in most other calibers, and I expect the heat of bonding the Accubonds may make the front nice and soft, so it may to as well or better. I also had considered loading up too, with my 9.3X57 as the action is a K98 ans is quite strong. No reason the 9.3X57 can't be loaded to the same pressure as the 9.3X62 in the same action with the same bolt face.
I'll try them.
Thanks

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
[quote=Tejano]

As for mixed reviews, I have to laugh. Several times, I've looked up threads on bullets for terminal performance and several posters will swear up and down with opposite experiences. Makes things about as clear as mud

This exactly and it has almost gotten to the point where I don't trust even trust my personal experience. The rep on the 160 6.5 came from Phil Shumaker and John Barsness so I trust them. But still I am tempted to prove it to myself as I already loaded up a bunch of them and it defies appearances for such a long bullet to not be reliable. Also round noses typically perform more consistently.

I also wonder if during the swaging procees if the first couple of bullets after the equipment was lubed come out badly? Who knows?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
BC's suck but they're accurate, and kill really well....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Used them from 25-to 338 cal...all were very accurate and never a failure
Especially like the 117 in 257 roberts

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Brad
The bullet on the right is a 165 HDY BTSP that I recovered from last season's 6x6 elk. From a 308 Win at 140 yards, the bullet broke the heavy upper leg bone-knuckle, and punched into the lungs. I found it rolling around the chest cavity. All in all, that's a heck of a lot to ask of a bullet, and the first time I've center-punched that leg bone. That's about the worst possible scenario for an elk bullet.

Bullet on the left is a 150 Nosler Ballisitc Tip from a heavy, old 6x6 bull I took in 2014, shot at 40 yards from a 7mm-08. The bullet angled forward from the back of the ribs, and was under the off-side scapula. Around 32" of penetration. Bull ran about 25 yards and was dead when I got to him, likely the quickest kill I've ever seen on an elk.

[Linked Image]

Funny thing is som would call that a bullet failure...sounds to me like a sucuss

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm new to this website and I'm glad I found it. Good stuff here.

For years I loaded the 100 grain round nose in my 243. They don't make that bullet any longer, but I do have several boxes left as I no longer load as much like I used to. Another really good performer is the 117 grain .25 caliber bullet. I loaded that in both the 25.06 and 257 Roberts. If I ever go back to loading again for my Roberts it would likely be the Interlock RN that would be the choice.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had plenty of success with Hornady interlocks, 130 and 150 grain. 277 and the 150, 170 and 180 grain bullets in 30 caliber all have given adequate penetration. One thing I have noticed is that these bullets seem to make for good blood trails if you need one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
577 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.