Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
I went to call Remington and when I looked at the box, I saw that they were then made in Arkansas instead of Connecticut. I called them and they admitted they had some trouble with some

Makes sense to me, hell we don't even trust people from Texarkana.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i just told this story to a buddy the other day. about 20 years ago i was hunting in this river bottom and slid my way down a cliff to a little area along side the river. it was about 100 yards wide and 300 yards long. bordered on 3 sides by cliffs and one side by the river. it was on a bend of the river that catches all the flood debris and is choked with logs and shoulder high brush. but there were trails all through it and it was full of huge rubs. i was working my way through looking for a spot to set up and jumped a buck out of its bed at about 20 yards. i just saw it for a few seconds but it was by far the biggest buck i have ever seen in the wild. lots of points, wide and high rack with a lot of mass. i saw it running through the bottoms and could just see its head. that was one for the books. the problem with hunting this area was the only way to get it out would have involved a boat and the nearest roads were about a mile upstream and downstream. and even getting to the place was a long hike with multiple steep climbs. i still toy with the idea of dropping my old john boat in there before season and camping out for a few nights. but thats not likely to happen.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a big list. Pictures of a couple, but most were before I started using trail cameras several years ago.

Here's one. The only main frame 12 I've ever encountered at the house. Tons of pics over two years, but I only saw him once. He was killed about a mile from the house...

[Linked Image]

I had another double beam buck that was around for a while. He was a true pig, mega mass and lots of length. I'd never seen the deer or knew he existed until a farmer ran over his shed right in front of my house. Punctured his tire and the shed never broke. He showed me the shed and my jaw dropped! The next October I walked out of my front door and the deer was in my yard! Never got a picture, never saw him again. Nobody around me killed him -- legally at least. True 200" deer and he disappeared like he never existed.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by roundoak
Over the years some bucks that were encountered during a hunting season still haunt me. A couple examples. Was tagged out when I was fortunate to snap a picture of these two bucks in the Missouri Breaks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh piss.........!!!!!

Pretty much what I said too.

Last edited by tzone; 03/05/17.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Launched two arrows at 51 and 52 yards at this dudes twin brother the year after I got this one, less than a mile apart, except that he was in the velvet! What a pair they would have made on the wall. That dude jumped the string so bad it was laughable.

[Linked Image]

LOL
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My backyard [img:center][Linked Image][/img] [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A big 9 point that I had at 15 yards when an unseen branch deflected my arrow. He ran 10 more yards and stopped and my second arrow was deflected. It was very thick where I was hunting.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
I went to call Remington and when I looked at the box, I saw that they were then made in Arkansas instead of Connecticut. I called them and they admitted they had some trouble with some

Makes sense to me, hell we don't even trust people from Texarkana.

Lol...bad thing is, my daddy's family on his momma's side are from Arkansas. But daddy was born and raised here in LA and always told me you could bring a girl from Arkansas here to LA, but you could never take a girl from LA to Arkansas...lol.

Please...no hate mail. I never took him seriously!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm older and probably funny.

I don't have any to talk about. I used to have a few, but then I realized it really doesn't matter and I could care less if I ever shoot another one.

That said the less I care, the better I must hunt because I've killed ones I never thought I'd kill.

But I"m to the point of if its meant to be, it'll happen.

Some nice pics on this thread though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Southwest Oklahoma. I was on a slight rise glassing a creek bottom several hundred yards to the north.
The wind was probably 40mph and I either must have heard something, or just sensed it.
I turned around and made eye contact with a buck directly behind me, maybe 20 yards away. For a brief second it was like time stood still. He whirled and ran in an instant, and I just watched- my gun was on the ground with my pack a few feet away.
I swear he was at least 24" wide, with long high tines. I'd say he was 30" wide, but don't want to be accused of exaggeration smile.
I've never seen a buck before, or since, as magnificent as that one.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two of them. First one I never saw, but I've never seen so many large rubs on cedars as there was in this one thicket. Huge scrapes, and neighbor had seen a big buck there. So, what do I do on opening day.....shot the first buck I saw, a little 7 pointer. Found a shed the following year, 6 points, and after scoring one side, deer would probably have gone around 170. The other...I was walking through a little woods, right by a road, and jumping a buck was the last thing on my mind. Up jumped one of the biggest deer I've ever laid eyes on. It was thick cover, and I was packing a scoped 270. I got a shot off, but missed. Looked around, and found a ton of sign, and figured that buck was living there. Hunted the woods the remainder of the season, but never saw him again.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The second buck, the one with the wide spread, add some mass, and you have "Old Blunt Toes." When I first saw him, he was about 3 yrs. old based on his body mass and 34 wide X 22 high, four on each side. Tried to find him or fresh sign for the next 3 years. Never found either.
A good friend ran an intense survey of the Desert Bighorn living in that area. Said he found his tracks, but never saw him. In spite of covering the area on the ground and in the air with helicopters.
He finally got a video of him from a helicopter a year or two later. 7-9 points on a side and about 37 inches wide. I kept looking for him or his very distinctive tracks. Found nothing but a few old tracks.
Last year I found the tracks left by the one I wounded and lost in 2014. He's still alive. Lost seven pounds in three weeks looking for him. All I found were old tracks. That one was 33-34 wide and half that high with four points on a side.
Then there is the one I was shown a picture of at a water source while he was in velvet... Ever see a picture of a buck that would go well over 40 inches wide ? E

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've had several, but the one that irks me the most happened during muzzleloader 3 or 4 years ago. I'd gotten the traditional bug, and had a 54 caliber Lyman Deerstalker that was wicked scary accurate, so I just knew I was good to go. Opening morning, one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen, before or since, stopped about 40 yards from me. He was at LEAST a 10 pointer, and likely a 12. I put the sights behind his shoulder, squeezed the trigger, and was greeted by the pop of the percussion cap only going off mad . As he ran off, I swear he was laughing........

I was already so hot I couldn't see straight, but recapped it, and picked out a spot on a tree, pulled the trigger.......... and BOOM! It was all I could do to keep from wrapping that rifle around the nearest tree. Anyway, I took it home, threw it in the closet, and went straight to the local gun shop and bought a brand new inline. I killed 3 other deer with it that year, but never saw Mr. Big again.

As a footnote, to illustrate the brutality of women, my wife STILL brings that up, and laughs................. cry

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Over the years some bucks that were encountered during a hunting season still haunt me. A couple examples. Was tagged out when I was fortunate to snap a picture of these two bucks in the Missouri Breaks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You didnt snap that 2nd picture in the missouri breaks. Also would you like to see pics of his shed antlers?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I've had several, but the one that irks me the most happened during muzzleloader 3 or 4 years ago. I'd gotten the traditional bug, and had a 54 caliber Lyman Deerstalker that was wicked scary accurate, so I just knew I was good to go. Opening morning, one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen, before or since, stopped about 40 yards from me. He was at LEAST a 10 pointer, and likely a 12. I put the sights behind his shoulder, squeezed the trigger, and was greeted by the pop of the percussion cap only going off mad . As he ran off, I swear he was laughing........

I was already so hot I couldn't see straight, but recapped it, and picked out a spot on a tree, pulled the trigger.......... and BOOM! It was all I could do to keep from wrapping that rifle around the nearest tree. Anyway, I took it home, threw it in the closet, and went straight to the local gun shop and bought a brand new inline. I killed 3 other deer with it that year, but never saw Mr. Big again.

As a footnote, to illustrate the brutality of women, my wife STILL brings that up, and laughs................. cry

AND don't think an inline won't not fire at times... or a centerfire rifle even.... its not the gun, the deer was not destined for your gambrel IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WDH

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You didnt snap that 2nd picture in the missouri breaks. Also would you like to see pics of his shed antlers?

I was wondering about that second pic.

Couldn't imagine seeing a buck that big standing still.

If you don't mind me asking what is the story on that buck?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uh oh.

Have Dog

Will Travel

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by WDH

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was wondering about that second pic.

Couldn't imagine seeing a buck that big standing still.

If you don't mind me asking what is the story on that buck?

That buck lives in SW wyoming. That picture was taken long after hunting season had been closed. If the OP indeed saw this buck in the missouri breaks that would be the farthest migration recorded of a mule deer to date. Impressive to say the least.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was tagged out when I was fortunate to snap a picture of these two bucks in the Missouri Breaks.
[Linked Image]

What year did you take that pic?? And where did you take it??

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsonora; 03/07/17.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tzone
Yep.

I was 12 years old. One of the biggest 10 point bucks I've ever seen. Still to this day. It was standing in the woods just off our yard. I got up at sun rise to pee and could see it out of the bathroom window. I woke my dad I as loaded my gun and he asked what I was doing. I told him...quickly as I loaded the gun. He wanted me to shoot through the window. lol crazy

As soon as the weatherstripping "broke" the door frame, he was gone.

Thanks, Tz. That made me laugh out loud. Dayom. I wish you'd have done as your dad said. You now know, Father Knows Best.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.